• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help OTA Update 2.2 - failed to verify whole-file signature

hello im using the desire hd with clockworkmod recovery 2.5 will this method work?

NO!

If you want to return your desire HD to stock you MUST use an RUU. This method will mess your phone up as you are rooted with custom recovery.

I THINK these are your RUU's:

http://www.shipped-roms.com/shipped/Ace/

Although best to confirm in the desire HD forum

Upvote 0
There seems to be conflicting info in this thread.

I have a Desire which I installed the stock rom RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.29.405.2_Radio_32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27_release_151783_signed.exe back in December. I subsequently rooted my phone with unrevoked. Around about xmas, I received a notice that an OTA update was available for 2.29.405.5. This, as many people have stated, does not work. If you try and install it by pressing the OK button when it asks you, you get the dreaded triangle icon and if you hit the power button you see this message on the screen:

E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

I'm not sure what exactly is in this new update but felt I should perhaps install it if nothing else to stop it from bugging me from time to time about it. Is there any reason not to install the update2.29.405.5?

If I follow Kustodian's instructions above, will this work on my rooted unbranded phone without problems? It seems so from some of the responses.

Will updating by this method un-root my phone or cause me to have to reinstall things? I know if I install another RUU, it will wipe things, but this seems like an update instead of a complete reinstall.

However, if I understand SUroot, the answer is no, I should not install this update under any circumstances because I have a rooted phone.

When I move the file to the root of the sdcard and rename it to update.zip, does this only cause it not to check a signature when it is installed? Is that the only difference with installing it from within the UI versus booting and installing?

Michael Grant

Upvote 0
I found a workaround:

On your Phone

1. open Astro and go to "download" folder
  2. long-press and select "edit"
  3. press "move"
  4. press back button
  5. press "edit" from the top menu bar
  6. press "paste"
  7. long press the file
  8. press "edit", then press "rename"
  9. rename to update.zip then press OK

Installation

1. power off phone
  2. hold "volume down" and turn on phone
  3. A screen should appear showing your phone's system searching for various files. Scroll down to “recovery” using the volume down button and press the “Power” button
  4. When you see the triangle with an exclamation point symbol, press the “Power” and “Volume Up” buttons at the same time. This may take a few attempts
  5. From the menu that appears, use the trackball to select "Apply sdcard:update.zip." Press down on the trackball to start.
  6. When the screen displays "Install from sdcard complete" use trackball to select "reboot system now" and wait for the phone to power back up.

I'm having a problem problem. any chance you can simplify it abit I doesnt sense to me? Is it just the folder you click on or a file?

I've rooted it no probs just wont instal roms at all :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones