• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help OTA update Issues/troubleshooting

Yes. "Shamu" is the Nexus 6.

Lollipop (either 5.0.1 or 5.1.0) hasn't had reports of this.
Does it turn off in the middle of something? Like it just goes black like the battery has been disconnected? Or does it actually shut down?

Since factory resets and flashing stock firmware hasn't helped, I have to think it's defective hardware, unfortunately.

it turns off every where!!! sometimes on when the phone is booting. sometimes when i open an app, its completely random.
so you suggest i go with the replacement solution?

Upvote 0
I would. That's definitely not normal behavior.

EDIT: One quick question first ... Do you have it in a case? The reason I ask is because if you press and hold the power button it will force a shutdown and maybe the case is pinching the power button.

yep its in a case because of that back plate problem! but i'm sure its not pushing the power button.

Upvote 0
yep its in a case because of that back plate problem! but i'm sure its not pushing the power button.

Is your back plate coming off? Or are you trying to prevent it? Some people with that issue indicate that it seems like the battery was swelling, which would definitely shut the phone off if the battery were defective. I guess the next question is how much time are you willing to spend troubleshooting this before you file a warranty claim? I think you may have to go that route eventually.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
So, Im running an unlocked Nexus 6 I bought from motorola.com on Verizon's network... and still havent gotten the 5.1 OTA yet... I have tried sideloading but get errors saying the zipfile cant be read... anyone know if Im being blocked because Im running on Verizon? Google support says no, but they also said that 4 weeks would get all phones 5.1... and its been waiy more than that.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I got the notification when it was first released, but i was too busy to install it at the time (didn't feel like going back to stock recovery and unrooting). Since then, I haven't received another so perhaps Google pulled it. The system images are up for TMo, if you want to go that route. :)
^^^^^^^^^^
This works!
Just restored to T-Mo 5.1.1 after giving Android M a spin.
Liked the dark theme in settings & the killer battery life in stand-by,but,not all user/dowloadable apps are up to snuff w/M,so,I reverted back.
WI-FI Calling is present on M,BTW............

Upvote 0
Why haven't I gotten the prompt for 5.1.1 after 3 weeks?
Good question...... perhaps dialing 611 is in order (CustomerCare).
Just a BTW:
If you grow tired of waiting for the update & opt to flash the factory 5.1.1 image:
Those who have the 64GB version may see the memory listed as 22-23GB available (32GB minus O/S & apps).
Don't worry,a factory reset via recovery will bring it back to normal.
Some patience during/after this reset may be in order,my phone took 12 minutes to finally re-boot.....

Upvote 0
Yes, after hours on the phone with TMO and Google with ZERO resolve, I read enough online to verify you are right. It is a project FI build. I went into TMO demanding a new phone at no charge with LMY47M, but they basically told me they couldn't do anything.

I'm using TMO, but I sent Googles Project FI a request. It's an invite only service. Beta, I presume?

Long story short, at first I thought I was short handed, but now I think it's kinda cool I have this build. And I've decided to wait it out in hopes Google will still send me dot one for wifi calling. I'm confident in them, not so much TMO. I will update this in time.

Anyone else in my situation?

Upvote 0
Update:

Today I started having serious media sound issues. All I could hear were notifications sounds. Youtube, Pandora, Facebook all had no sound for hours. I also called my Dad for Father's Day and my volume kept going up and down, also muting him and dropping the call 4 times in 10 minutes.

I came home and factory reset the phone. It seemed to have solved the calling issue, but I still had no media sound. Yes, media was turned up all the way. I power cycled the phone a half dozen times. Got sound back briefly. Then it disappeared. Sound has since come back for now, but it fades in and out of being loud to moderate. I called TMO and they are sending me a new N6 no charge. (I don't have insurance) $20 fee waived.

This will be my 3rd N6. If anything goes wrong with this next one, it's adios.

I would also like to add that the chrome stickers all peeled off my first N6. The first replacement they sent me had a peeling back, so I immediately sent that one back. And the 2nd replacement (what I have now) has back peeling issues now, too.

Wish me luck on this next one. Hopefully it has the right build on it.

Upvote 0
Finally got around to installing 5.1.1. I got the OTA nag notification when the darn thing was first released, but was too busy to be troubled, then it went away. I finally got the notification again after about 3 weeks and decided I had enough free time to flash it. I didn't even bother to try the OTA, since i was rooted with TWRP recovery (okay, i did try, but it failed :p)

Did a little looking and everything I read said that LMY47Z (5.1.1 For Sprint, USC ONLY) was what was being pushed out to AT&T customers as well, so with a nandroid safely stashed, I flashed it. Pretty standard stuff and I was back up and running in about an hour. Haven't seen any problems, so I'd have to say that this build is good for AT&T, too.

I think I'm going to run stock for a little while, just to make sure it's all good.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Before a couple of days I updated my Nexus 6 OS to Android 6.0. After that I tried to access the files that I have stored in my phone on my windows 7 laptop. But the icon to access the files in phone was not visible. Whereas I am able to access the files in another phone with Android 4 in my laptop. Do I have to change any settings that marshmallow update might have changed?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones