• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help OTA Update Not Installing (Lenovo Tab S8-50F)

ItsVesper

Oct 23, 2013
Hi,

So basically. I'm having trouble with my Lenovo Tab S8-50 installing OTA updates.

The OTA downloads fine, and then, when it comes to installation, it bails out instantly in the recovery menu with the following text down the bottom

Code:
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
E:failed to map file
Installation aborted.
E: can not create '/data/ota' : Permission denied

I've recently got this tablet back after a repair (Took it to the retailer, who then sent it off for repairs, so it's official), and this is really frustrating me because Lollipop has a fair few bugs which really need fixing (Some apps do not open, I think this is due to the app, but other bugs include landscape mode not working on the stock launcher, the whole Dolby EQ thing bundled with the tablet just straight-up not working, and displaying the "Update successful" message every time i restart the tablet).

One other thing which is a bug that arose in the most recent update i can actually install. Whenever i boot the tablet, the following message displays

Code:
ERRLINUX_ERROR [uefi_get_simple_var] Failed to get variable WDColdReset

Any help? (It shouldn't be rooted and it is still well within warranty. I will run a root checker of course, in case something happened during repair. I am doubtful this is the case, but it would explain the refusal to accept the update)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones