• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root OTA Update on Rooted Phone?

MarcM

May 13, 2010
Hi- Got my phone rooted with Unrevoked3. I have not applied -s off. I have not updated the radio, flashed ROM, or changed kernel- just running stock. I have installed some root only apps and removed City ID, Twitter, and Peep.

So what should I do if the expected OTA update comes through?

Can I apply the update on a rooted phone? I believe from what I have read that I would have to unroot and revert to stock in the box.

Do I want to apply the update?

If I apply the update with -s on will I permanently lose root? (I have too much faith in the droid community and xda-dev to really believe this would be more than a temporary problem)

Thanks

I thought there was the Froyo update coming and it was rumored to come through on 8/18

Anyway I'm probably being to worried about applying the s-off because it is permanent and voids the warranty. I've read that the OTA update might make rooting impossible. I certainly don't want to lose root permanently and maybe the Unrevoked team will add s- on eventually.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones