1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root OTA Update on Rooted Phone?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MarcM, Aug 23, 2010.

1. MarcM

MarcM Well-Known Member

May 13, 2010
    Hi- Got my phone rooted with Unrevoked3. I have not applied -s off. I have not updated the radio, flashed ROM, or changed kernel- just running stock. I have installed some root only apps and removed City ID, Twitter, and Peep.

So what should I do if the expected OTA update comes through?

Can I apply the update on a rooted phone? I believe from what I have read that I would have to unroot and revert to stock in the box.

Do I want to apply the update?

If I apply the update with -s on will I permanently lose root? (I have too much faith in the droid community and xda-dev to really believe this would be more than a temporary problem)

Thanks

Advertisement

2. Lagos

Lagos Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    As far as I know there are no known updates any time soon. So you wont have to worry about this for a while.

But in any case, the best thing to do is to wait a few weeks for your favorite rom developer to incorporate any OTA updates into their rom.

3. MarcM

MarcM Well-Known Member

May 13, 2010
    I thought there was the Froyo update coming and it was rumored to come through on 8/18

Anyway I'm probably being to worried about applying the s-off because it is permanent and voids the warranty. I've read that the OTA update might make rooting impossible. I certainly don't want to lose root permanently and maybe the Unrevoked team will add s- on eventually.