• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help OTA Update rolling out. Version 2.17.651.5 - Sprint

Do u have to download old secuirty update to get the new one? I never did. I checked and only old update pops up.

Very probably. I think the OTAs do a quick firmware check to see if you're up to date. If not, they don't try to apply. So you probably have to take that one and then check again.

If you're rooted on HBOOT 1.4, do not take the OTA.

Upvote 0
Downloaded it and phone went to crap! Typing is delayed and letters pressed give different letters. O have a hard time swiping thru screens. Same as websites. Can't scroll. Seems slow all around. Wish I can go back. I didn't load any updates till today cuz o read it was snappy and batt life was good. Well not on my phone.

Upvote 0
Downloaded it and phone went to crap! Typing is delayed and letters pressed give different letters. O have a hard time swiping thru screens. Same as websites. Can't scroll. Seems slow all around. Wish I can go back. I didn't load any updates till today cuz o read it was snappy and batt life was good. Well not on my phone.

Have you turned the phone all the way off (with "Fast Boot" unchecked in Settings > Power or by pulling the battery out) since your update?

You may also need to do a factory reset to clear everything out. Make sure to back up everything you care about before doing that.

And, if it still does it after a factory reset, then I'd take it to Sprint and complain that the update screwed up your phone.

I'm assuming you have never rooted?

Upvote 0
My 3G speeds are absolutely horrible since I did this OTA today. Anyone else having this issue and/or hopefully found a fix?

Update your PRL, then update your profile. If you don't know how, they are in Settings > System Update. Then reboot your phone. If 3G is still bad, call Sprint. The tower in your area may have some problems.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
HTC_EVO_3D_g5.jpg

I still wish there was a display brightness slider or toggle in that 'Quick Settings' tab. I've been pining for that since the Evo 4G release, I hate having to install a third party application for something so elegant. I'd rather have a brightness setting slider than an unused Power Saver toggle.

I was browsing G&E and came across a tip on a ROM customization by tommytomatoe that features what I've been looking for. [Mod] Extended Quick Settings - Sense 1.0 Legacy - xda-developers It provides some customized extended quick settings for the Evo 4G.

HTC, please add a brightness shortcut similar to this, ASAP:
volume-mod.gif

Upvote 0
Reactions: PyroSporker
Upvote 0
There is a screen brightness toggle in the widgets...3 levels of brightness once u choose the brightest u want to go

Thanks for the reply. Not to totally rain on your idea, but I already am familiar with this widget. It just doesn't cut the mustard for me.

I'm not a fan of toggle widgets since they cannot be put into a folder on the home screen at this time and plus you are almost always stuck with someone's preset on one level or another. I don't want to click through 2 or more settings either. There are better toggles on the market, but I don't want to use a 3rd party application or toggles at all for something like this. More widgets and toggles are counter intuitive and the slider should be the notification bar (like touch wiz) or easily accessed in the quick settings under the notifications bar.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I just purchased Evo 3d, I checked the firmware and it is still 1.20, I tried to update it OTA but I there is no system update option in the settings menu.
I searched for the option via search in the device but also not found, anyone had this problem before.
Thanks

Welcome to the forums Sandore,
You are on the right track, however, HTC does not put things under firmware but very rarely so you will not find it there.

Make sure you have 3G/4G/Wifi on and you are going to want to go to:
Settings -> System Updates -> HTC Software Update -> Check now button.

What they said ^^^ there is no system update option anywhere. Its under settings, then system updates. In here you'll find Android software update (firmware), profile update, PRL update, and HTC software update (the one you're looking for)

Upvote 0
I recently allowed my phone to update to software version 2.17.651.5 through Sprint. Not sure if that was a good idea or not - but it's never really given me any problems before this.

After this update it seems a lot of my apps freeze randomly. Occasionally going out of an app and back to the home screen will freeze up the entire phone. This will last 30sec to several minutes; and usually cure itself. I haven't had to physically remove the battery to regain control (yet! knock on wood!)

I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this problem.

I have not rooted the phone or anything - Although I have been considering it. I'm hesitant to because I did that to my HTC Hero with very poor results and I could never 'undo' what I did to that phone. I don't want to go through that again with my E3D...

Looking forward to reading if anyone else had had similar issues...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones