• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help OTA Update thread - Discussion/Issues

Plus I'm an idiot (sort of) - I gave you the link for the One M8, here's the forum for the One -

http://androidforums.com/forums/root-htc-one.3104/

The rooting steps are identical -

Backup your phone.

Download our Mini-SDK.

Visit HTCdev.com to get the unlock code and instructions to unlock your phone.

Visit http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/ to download TWRP to your sdk-tools folder (made by the Mini-SDK).

Use the fastboot flash installation method for TWRP.

Go into TWRP and make a system backup to preserve your working rom (even if you hate it lol, it works - this is your safety net).

Install the custom rom. Viper from venomroms.com is probably your best bet for a good stock-type KitKat - they keep all versions available for download.

Restore your Helium Backup.

Reactions: JustAUserName
Upvote 0
Lol forgot a pretty important link -

http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081

The Mini-SDK.

You can use that fastboot with the HTCdev.com site instructions, there's nothing magical about htc-fastboot - we all get it directly from the Google Android development site.

Finally - what you need to get around with the command line -

Shift+right click on the sdk-tools folder made by unzipping the sdk-tools.zip file, choose open Command window here.

Alt+space, E for edit to get to the select/copy/paste menu.

The command to confirm that you've moved the Unlock_code.bin and TWRP file into place is -

dir

Last edited:
Reactions: JustAUserName
Upvote 0
Ever since I got the Lollipop update for my One M7, it regularly freezes for between 3 and 10 seconds at a time. By regularly I mean this sometimes happens several times a minute. This includes frequent delays in responding to something as simple as turning the screen on and off.
Hold volume down while powering on until you see the bootloader menu.

You want to be in HBOOT or BOOTLOADER (same thing, name may vary by region), use instructions on screen to navigate.

Go to Recovery, clear cache, and reboot.

See if that helps.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice, it definitely helped at first, but a few days later the problem has started to recur. Perhaps I'll need to do this once a week?

Good news is your phone itself is OK.

Reset cache as needed or try Helium Backup (make sure that your contacts are stored on the cloud) , factory data reset the phone, and restore the backup.

Use Helium in case your Google or HTC backup glitches - if they don't, your stuff will automatically restore ok.

If you've got something tangled with the apps that is affecting the overall system that will cure it.

You will lose some time redoing your setup.

If you do that and it returns then you've got some app either misbehaving or not fully compatible.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
My Verizon phone updated to Lollipop a few days ago. My mobile hotspot/pdanet/foxfi doesn't work with Lollipop. Can anyone help me get back to Kitkat? My phone is not unlocked. Unlock bootloader from htcdev.com doesn't work on Verizon phones. Sunshine wont work without unlock bootloader... I've never unlocked a phone before and am afraid of bricking it. If I get bootloader unlock and S-off, then what do I do?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones