1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root OTA Updates, Reverting Back, and Apps After Rooting?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by konman795, Mar 17, 2010.

1. konman795

konman795 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Best Buy Sales
    Baton Rouge
    So I'm contemplating if I should root my Nexus One mainly because I really want that extra performance boost. However I have a few questions. First will I still receive the OTA updates Google pushes out? And secondly, will I be able to revert back to stock android OS after rooting. And lastly, do all the Google apps work (mainly the Google GPS Navigation) without problems? Thanks everyone!

Advertisement

2. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    also wondering if the OTA backup works too, to restore settings, purchased apps, etc.

:thinking:

3. daffyduck

daffyduck Guest

Apps = yes in all cases, though you may need to reinstall from the list on the market
    Settings = yes with Modaco's tweaked factory rom; no with Cyanogens (my favoured but this one downside - minor)
    Google contacts, etc.....yep.

Another slap from the wife, ouch :D

4. SubyWill

SubyWill Well-Known Member

you can use nandroid and titanium backup to backup every single thing on the phone.

5. lostprophet894

lostprophet894 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Director of Tech. Screening/Security Officer in Ch
    Vienna, VA
    Am I right in the understanding that once the Nexus is rooted, it is impossible to put it back to it's stock state?

In other words, I rooted my Nexus on day two. Am I out of luck as far as returning the phone?

6. daffyduck

daffyduck Guest

Yes.....I don't think anybody has worked out how to "re-lock" the bootloader (i.e. the method of gaining root access). Check out XDA developers.....

As far as returning the phone (for warranty reasons I presume, not restocking), I have heard that obvious hardware issues are being honoured.

Words to the effect of, as long as you don't do anything stupid (IMHO, count over-clocking) to fry the hardware, you should be fine.

7. Viralmind

Viralmind Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2010
    correct.
    you cannot return the phone if you have unlocked your bootloader as your warranty is void.

8. lostprophet894

Mar 19, 2010
    Vienna, VA
    I was thinking more along the lines of returning within the 30 period for a full refund. I'm about 90% sure I want to keep it but I suppose I should have waited til I hit that 100% mark before I rooted.

9. daffyduck

daffyduck Guest

Definitely don't root it in your case then, unless you are 100% sure. My view, for what it is worth, is that it is a better phone since I rooted it....

10. lostprophet894

Mar 19, 2010
    Vienna, VA
    Well since it's been done already I guess I'm stuck.

I'm sure I'll inch closer to 100% once I can install that Cyanogen ROM...

Tags: