1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips OTG Cable question (not on the cable)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jlindemann, Jan 2, 2013.

1. jlindemann

jlindemann Lurker
    None

Dec 30, 2012
    I've been reading that the OTG cable will allow me to utilize (let's say) a 16GB memory stick to add more space to my tablet. I insert the OTG cable and a memory stick and away I go.

But after reading a lot;

1) Do I have to root my device in order for this to utilize the cable?

2) Do only certain programs acknowledge the cable\memory? Does it have to be a program that has that code written into it?

I'm just looking at the extra storage; ie: reading materials, movies, music. But if I start storing pictures or documents do I run into problems?

Advertisement

2. Teknologic

Teknologic Android Expert
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Male
    Belgium
    There are 2 options here: Not rooting and buying an app called Nexus Media Importer, allowing you to READ from external media only.
    Or rooting and downloading a free app called stickmount, letting you read and write your storage (except for ntfs partitions, which android doesn't support writing to, but there are custom kernels that do).

Stickmount will mount your storage and your media should be visible to any app that needs it. From what I gather, media importer will only let you view and stream your media through that app alone.

Rxpert83 likes this.
  3. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    Male
    Prototype Precision Machinist
    Tri-Cities, Michigan
    on some custom roms you dont need stickmount (cyanogenmod and probally others - depends on the kernel) all you have to do is plug it in. then use a free app ES File Explorer to view read and write :)

Rxpert83 likes this.
  4. whs37

whs37 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 29, 2011
    Male
    retired
    Florida/Germany
    I get to my sticks with the Nexus Media Importer. You need not be rooted for that.

5. MartinS

MartinS Android Expert
    None

I'm unrooted and use Nexus Media Importer and MX Player Pro to watch films from my USB stick. Works perfectly.