• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OTG FAT32 format

okgoogle

Jan 14, 2019
Hello,

From time to time, I need to format large sdcards in Fat32 (200gb, 400gb...) to use them with different small electronic devices.
These devices can only format SD cards up to 64gb but work well with larger Fat32 preformatted SD cards.
Until now, I have been using a Windows 10 computer to format the SD cards in Fat32.
I am trying to avoid computers (PCs and Macs) so I am looking for an only-Android solution to format large SD cards in Fat32.
I have a OTG SD card dongle to read/write external SD cards.
How can I use Android and its OTG capabilities to format large SD cards in Fat32.
I can't find the option neither in the Android settings, or any APP.

Is there a way to do so?

Thank you for your help.

Dual boot your Win10 PC with Linux (Kubuntu or Mint) and use the Linux native formatting utility. For cards to use in Android devices, you can use EXT4 as the format (Android's Linux kernel understands EXT4, it's a current, supported format, unlike FAT32 which has languished unsupported, in terms of development and updates, for years.) Oh, and cards larger than 64GB should be formatted as ExFAT for devices without a Linux kernel.

Reactions: Dannydet and mikedt
Upvote 0
Hello,

From time to time, I need to format large sdcards in Fat32 (200gb, 400gb...) to use them with different small electronic devices.
These devices can only format SD cards up to 64gb but work well with larger Fat32 preformatted SD cards.

What devices are they exactly? And what are the card types, SDHC or SDXC?

Until now, I have been using a Windows 10 computer to format the SD cards in Fat32.
I am trying to avoid computers (PCs and Macs) so I am looking for an only-Android solution to format large SD cards in Fat32.

Why?

Upvote 0
Dual boot your Win10 PC with Linux (Kubuntu or Mint) and use the Linux native formatting utility. For cards to use in Android devices, you can use EXT4 as the format (Android's Linux kernel understands EXT4, it's a current, supported format, unlike FAT32 which has languished unsupported, in terms of development and updates, for years.) Oh, and cards larger than 64GB should be formatted as ExFAT for devices without a Linux kernel.

Please read the initial post. Didn't ask how to do it with a PC but with a phone and a SD card reader/writer via OTG...

Upvote 0
Thank you for the non-answers...

Maybe you need to be providing more information, so we might give you some useful answers.:p

Like what devices are they exactly, makes and models, and the Android versions they're running.

I've got a couple of phones here running Android 10 and 11. And those can format FAT32 and use large capacity SDs no problems, like 512GB. The formatting options are under Settings > Storage > Advanced on my devices.

sd format.jpg

FYI some phones and tablets, depending on what they are and their Android versions, won't format large capacity SDXC type SDs to the maximum capacity, that's it. There are many older and/or cheapo devices that just can't format and use SDs larger than 32GB or 64GB.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've got a couple of phones here running Android 10 and 11. And those can format FAT32 and use large capacity SDs no problems, like 512GB. The formatting options are under Settings > Storage > Advanced on my devices.

[

Hello.

I have Android 11 on all my 4 phones.

In your example, you show the way to formating a semi external SD card that has beenb previously inserted in the back of your phone, not an external using OTG/USB like I asked.

Moreover, your example doesn't format the cards in Fat32...

Thank you to read the initial post more carefully. I asked for Fat32 using OTG.

Impossible?

Upvote 0
Hello.

I have Android 11 on all my 4 phones.

In your example, you show the way to formating a semi external SD card that has beenb previously inserted in the back of your phone, not an external using OTG/USB like I asked.

Moreover, your example doesn't format the cards in Fat32...

Thank you to read the initial post more carefully. I asked for Fat32 using OTG.

Impossible?

Nope, it's possible.

A 128GB micro-SD in a reader plugged into OTG. Phone is Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra with Android 11. Of course it will format to the maximum capacity of the inserted micro-SD, like 512GB, etc.

Screenshot_20220103-235658_Settings.jpg

Upvote 0
It is regular normal FAT32 isn't it? My Android formatted micro-SD in the USB reader mounts and works no problem on my MacBook.

FWIW the 512GB micro-SD I have in Samsung phone, and the USB storage I use with my Android TV box, I formatted them as exFAT originally, mainly because of the <4GB file size limit of FAT32. And Android has no problems using exFAT formatted storage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Please read carefully, maybe take your time to read again the initial post... I would to format large SD cards (400gb, 512gb, etc.) in Fat32 using an USB card reader/writer via OTG in an Android phone.
That seems impossible.
Regards.

Oh it's definitely possible, and I'm quite clear about your initial enquiry. I can do that via USB with my Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra. and it's FAT32 to the maximum capacity of the micro-SD in the reader. As for other Android devices, I don't know except for my T95 Android TV box, that can't format micro-SDs or any removable storage via USB. The option for formatting is not in the firmware on that device.

Regards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I think you are mixing up exFat with Fat32....

I found the same option as yours to format a SD card with OTG on Android 11 (Poco X3 Pro, etc.) but it is definitely not Fat32.

I can format large sd cards on Fat32 only from computers but I would like to be able to do it with my Android phones. I don't want to bring my PC/Mac computers everywhere I go just for large SD cards formats in Fat32, I have been leaving the PC/Mac worlds...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just so happen to have a spare 256GB micro-SD i had lying around, so formatted it on my Samsung phone via the USB reader.

You will note that the format is "MS-DOS (FAT32)"
and the SD formatted to it's maximum capacity.
Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 20.17.04.png

This info was from MacOS, with the SD plugged into my MacBook.

FYI I'm very aware of the the differences between FAT32 and exFAT, mainly the file size(<4GB) and partition size(<2TB) limitations of FAT32. That's why I have my USB removable storage formatted as exFAT.

I'm using a 5TB hard drive with my Android box, so it must be formatted as exFAT for Android to fully use it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That makes no sense your recent Samsung phone would format a large SD card in Fat32 instead of exFat.....
There is something fishy, maybe your MacBook can't see the difference between Fat32 and exFat...

Yes it does.

Quite frankly I've had enough of this thread. and we never even solved your original problem, "These devices can only format SD cards up to 64gb" which is something I've never seen myself.

So this subject is closed.
Have a nice day!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes it does.

Quite frankly I've had enough of this thread. and we never even solved your original problem, "These devices can only format SD cards up to 64gb" which is something I've never seen myself.

So this subject is closed.
Have a nice day!

Lots and lots of small electronics devices can't format by themselves SD cards that have a capacity that is more than 32Gb and 64Gb. They won't recognize either SD cards that aren't in Fat32.

Your Samsung phone must format in exFat. That's your software on your Apple computer that mixes exFat with Fat32 (it probably doesn't know exFat exists).

Sorry bro...

Upvote 0
How can I use Android and its OTG capabilities to format large SD cards in Fat32.

If you are rooted AParted is supposed to be able to format large SD cards to FAT32:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sylkat.AParted

That's your software on your Apple computer that mixes exFat with Fat32 (it probably doesn't know exFat exists).

MacOS officially supports FAT and ExFAT file systems:
https://developer.apple.com/library...uide/FileSystemDetails/FileSystemDetails.html

Upvote 0
If you are rooted AParted is supposed to be able to format large SD cards to FAT32:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sylkat.AParted

Ok thank you. I don't root my phones anymore. But I can understand the app needs a rooted device.

As I suggested, this might be the software he uses on his Mac that mixes up the formats (even if MacOS supports exFAT). An stock Android firmware can't format in FAT32 large SD cards unfortunately.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones