• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OTG problems with 64 gb flash drive

neo5468

Lurker
Jan 29, 2014
I have a problem with detection of my ADATA S102 PRO 64 gb usb 3.0 flash drive formatted in NTFS. Device detects it very, very randomly and most often after a long period of time, or for the most of the time, never at all (5-10 minutes of being plugged in over OTG cable, but still nothing). The funny thing is, that s3 detects 4 gb flash drive (in fat32) and 320 gb hard drive (in NTFS) just fine. I wait 1 to 5 seconds and "Easy OTG Checker" program detects it (show its name) and "Nexus Photo Viewer" starts automatically as well. But my 64 gb flash drive almost never boots. I followed some troubleshoot guides, to insert OTG and USB into the device, and than re-boot it, while cable was still plugged in. Well, I tried this and USB was found. I though to myself "Thats it. I just have to reboot it when I want to use USB", but after second time, USB never mounted again. Even when there is no cable connected, "Easy OTG Checker" program still shows green check mark. It should show red cross, but it doesn't. It shows green check mark, and under it, it says: "Detected USB device: (Unknown), or "Detected USB device: Comneon HSIC Device".

You must be thinking now that this USB is not compatible with OTG standards. But you are wrong. My nexus 7 2013 detects this drive in less than 1 second. The moment I insert OTG cable into my nexus, "Easy OTG Checker" detects my USB drive as: "Detected USB device: ADATA ADATA USB Flash Drive", and when I remove it, it shows red cross as it should.

Now you must be thinking that my s3 can detect 4 gb drive and 320 gb drive, but for some bizarre reason, it cannot detect my 64 gb usb flash drive.

You are now 100 % confident to know what's wrong with my s3. It is USB 3.0 right? Both other drives are usb 2.0 so it is logical that my 64 gb drive wont work because it is 3.0 drive, and nexus 7 detects it because it is newer and better and stronger and bigger. Right? Right? But what if I told you that my friend has the same s3 as me, and when I tried the same OTG cable and the same flash drive, it detects my usb in a second. "Easy OTG Checker" detects it in a heartbeat.

I have read every possible thing related to this, every google post, every forum thread, every youtube video and I still didn't find anything related to this problem or even close to it. When I was on original samsung 4.1.2 rom, when I inserted my 64 gb usb flash drive, it showed red cross (not for 4 gb or 320 gb drive, only for 64 gb one). But when I installed cyanogenmod 4.4.2, SlimBean 4.3, and now stock samsung 4.3, it started this "Detected USB device: (Unknown)" or "Detected USB device: Comneon HSIC Device", even when no OTG cable was detected. But this message doesn't really mean anything, because it changes the moment I connect 4 gb or 320 gb drive (because it actually detects those USB's).

If anyone has any idea what could be wrong, please share it. Anything.

Thanks

tldr: My s3 detects 4 gb usb stick and 320 gb hard drive, but does not detect my 64 gb usb stick even though my nexus 7 2013 and my friends s3 detects it just fine.

update:
Today I tested this 64 gb stick on Sony Ericsson Live (yes, a phone from 2011), and "Easy OTG Checker" detected it. It said: "Detected USB device: ADATA ADATA USB Flash Drive" just like on my nexus 7. Device was on original sony rom 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich.

I also tested it on nexus 5 with latest 4.4.2 kitkat and "Easy OTG Checker" said the same. It recognized the stick and mounted it perfectly.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones