• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

other Precentral.net users lurking here

I was on PC for a while but left when I switched to a Black Berry. I loved my PRE but the reception issues killed it for me. It didn't work at my house or my office so I went back to Nextel 8350i and it works where I want but I don't like the antiquated BB I actually miss my Mogul 6800 and was thinking about firing it back up till the EVO comes out. I will have an EVO as soon as it's dropped. I think you'll see a lot of iphone folks jump to sprint.

Upvote 0
Actually, it's not as easy on Android. There aren't patches and tweaks on Android like there are on webOS. If you want more options on a reminder, a longer vibrate and such, you can't just install a patch and get instant extra functionality. Nothing on Android is geared that way. So unless extra functionality is built into an actual program it's most likely a replacement program for the native one. One thing I don't like about Android. Certain things don't seem to be natively updated and are relied upon by third party. Like stock email. No IMAP folder support. I have to download K9 which is an entire email replacement app just to get that one feature. Though on the Evo that function is built into Sense so... On the OS side, the grass isn't necessarily greener, just a different shade of green.

I've been a huge fan of how easy this thing is to hack and patch and tweak. If it weren't just as easy on Android I would have some reservations about moving to Evo. Thankfully it seems to be just as tweakable so I won't have to give up my tinkering in exchange for the nice hardware the way I would with iPhone or (likely) Windows Phone 7.

Upvote 0
Actually, it's not as easy on Android. There aren't patches and tweaks on Android like there are on webOS. If you want more options on a reminder, a longer vibrate and such, you can't just install a patch and get instant extra functionality. Nothing on Android is geared that way. So unless extra functionality is built into an actual program it's most likely a replacement program for the native one. One thing I don't like about Android. Certain things don't seem to be natively updated and are relied upon by third party. Like stock email. No IMAP folder support. I have to download K9 which is an entire email replacement app just to get that one feature. Though on the Evo that function is built into Sense so... On the OS side, the grass isn't necessarily greener, just a different shade of green.

Absolutely right. I am going to miss things like notification repeat, flash light, LED notifications. There is no Preware for Android :D. Nothing is perfect, eh?

Upvote 0
exaxctly. that's what irks me about many on precentral, they are as fanboyish as iphone owners and can't think objectively. So the trade off for homebrew is widgets. CalWidget is a sweet and free (though I donated) agenda app that can show about two weeks of appts on your home screen. Though you can adjust it to any # of columns and rows. Instant access to info via widgets is webOS's Achilles heel. Makes their static background seem extremely dumb and wasteful. Why they don't make the background active so you can have widget like functionality is beyond me.

Hey Gekko, still think webOS doesn't do active multitasking? I was getting a good laugh at that thread you posted on PC way back when. Watching Sprint Nav run in the background kinda nixed that idea. My Centro died when I tried to put a new casing on and ripped the screen ribbon by accident. It's now a battery charger for the Pixi battery. webOS grew on me a bit when I tried the Pixi a month or so ago. And there's a nice app for syncing memos with Palm Desktop, and homebrew solved a few of my pet peeves.

Upvote 0
Guilty here as well. Can't wait to get the EVO (I have been wanting a HD2 with Android since the HD2 was announced). At least the overclock patches will hold us through the summer. The Pre is pretty unusable in it's vanilla state. It just shows how much better webOS would be on a Snapdragon.

yo Eguy! wassup? you made it! what a coincidence - i sent you a PM a little while ago at precentral along to a few others to come join us here. no reply! what's up with that?

seems just like yesterday i read your post about just finishing the late night run to get the launch Pre!

Upvote 0
exaxctly. that's what irks me about many on precentral, they are as fanboyish as iphone owners and can't think objectively. So the trade off for homebrew is widgets. CalWidget is a sweet and free (though I donated) agenda app that can show about two weeks of appts on your home screen. Though you can adjust it to any # of columns and rows. Instant access to info via widgets is webOS's Achilles heel. Makes their static background seem extremely dumb and wasteful. Why they don't make the background active so you can have widget like functionality is beyond me.

Hey Gekko, still think webOS doesn't do active multitasking? I was getting a good laugh at that thread you posted on PC way back when. Watching Sprint Nav run in the background kinda nixed that idea. My Centro died when I tried to put a new casing on and ripped the screen ribbon by accident. It's now a battery charger for the Pixi battery. webOS grew on me a bit when I tried the Pixi a month or so ago. And there's a nice app for syncing memos with Palm Desktop, and homebrew solved a few of my pet peeves.

yo Crogs! i didnt know it was you! (i didnt fully read your post above) i sent you a PM over at PC. i'm still using my Centro but ready to make the jump to the EVO! this seems like a good forum. and no bible thumping like at the other place!

Upvote 0
yo Eguy! wassup? you made it! what a coincidence - i sent you a PM a little while ago at precentral along to a few others to come join us here. no reply! what's up with that?

seems just like yesterday i read your post about just finishing the late night run to get the launch Pre!

I don't go there very much anymore, for obvious reasons. Looks like I will be getting used to this place in the future.

Upvote 0
the funniest thing is you can't even use the fanboy word over there. It gets asterisked out. Guess people have tempers if that word is used. Granted, I like the homebrew side and the developers. Some smart guys that know their way around webOS and are very helpful. Shame the bad eggs can ruin a halfway decent omelet. I own a Moment and Pixi and play in both courts. I still have my Treo Pro and Centro. I'm just out for the best experience for me. No OS is perfect. PalmOS was as close as it came for the down and dirty basics for business use and basic productivity. It's a shame the ACCESS OS didn't move forward. There'd probably be many happy campers if they could've merged a new touchscreen OS and PalmOS with a little more seamlessness than webOS did with Classic.

and yes crogs571 = dbpaddler. I've used crogs571 for things for well over 15 years. Thought it was time for a change. db is bit more anonymous since crogs is a nickname for my last name. but I've been around phone and gadget forums for quite a long time. Actually got booted from sprintusers because someone took offense to my sig about proclip and thus kicked off. talk about dumb.

Upvote 0
same here. i didnt post much over there, and when i did, i had to put on a flame suit lol. i was reading a few threads and they are calling us android fanboys :p i liked the pre, but it just had 20 too many problems

I would not mind if the EVO has webOS on it. It just seems webOS needs a fast processor to run the OS. If you do an overclock patch, it runs very smoothly. Shame palm didn't put Snapdragons in the Pre and Pixi.

Upvote 0
well I don't know if I'm here for good. One nice thing Palm did by ditching desktop sync was they killed any loyalty people had to them and their OS. All this cloud syncing has allowed people to switch out phones with ease with minimal downtime and no loss of information. I easily maintain my Samsung Moment and Pixi and can swap them within a matter of minutes. So I'll be happy to play with the power of the Evo for awhile. My year up with the Moment should probably coincide with a gen 2 webOS device so having the Evo and whatever Palm brings next would be a nice combo depending upon the situation. Might as well play both sides for as long as possible. I'm sure it'll be a fun ride.

Upvote 0
WOW now I'm REALLY glad I started this thread! Good to see all you guys over here too! As you can see there are a lot of Pre users here but aren't as die hard as precentral of course. I'm really looking forward to the EVO and I hope that it will encourage Palm to step up their game in terms of hardware features and build quality. I'm pulling for Palm to survive and grow - but with their limited resources they can't develop as fast as Google/HTC. Anyways, welcome all of you. I'm glad I'm not the only one looking past the PALM trees :)

Upvote 0
WOW now I'm REALLY glad I started this thread! Good to see all you guys over here too! As you can see there are a lot of Pre users here but aren't as die hard as precentral of course. I'm really looking forward to the EVO and I hope that it will encourage Palm to step up their game in terms of hardware features and build quality. I'm pulling for Palm to survive and grow - but with their limited resources they can't develop as fast as Google/HTC. Anyways, welcome all of you. I'm glad I'm not the only one looking past the PALM trees :)

It's hard to move on from Palm (Been there since the IIIc) but HTC is just unbelievable these days. I look forward to using the EVO!

Upvote 0
I'm not even happy with using an on screen keyboard. Didn't like it on the Hero. Don't like it on the iphone (when I get to play with one). But the things it can do. HDMI out. Streaming HD content from your phone to your TV is pretty cool. Work wise, when I get a few minutes with a doc, I can show him pics and presentations on that screen without grabbing my laptop. If I'm in an office I can connect to a flat screen or computer monitor and do a quick presentation. Or I can just have my phone and bring my own LCD. And while you lose screen real estate while typing, viewing and editing docs should be much nicer. With the kickstand, it'd be nice to have a folding BT keyboard for more intensive data entry and editing without pulling out the laptop. The phone and keyboard would take up a fraction of what my e4200 takes up, and that's about as small as you get for a 12".

Upvote 0
I'm not even happy with using an on screen keyboard. Didn't like it on the Hero. Don't like it on the iphone (when I get to play with one). But the things it can do. HDMI out. Streaming HD content from your phone to your TV is pretty cool. Work wise, when I get a few minutes with a doc, I can show him pics and presentations on that screen without grabbing my laptop. If I'm in an office I can connect to a flat screen or computer monitor and do a quick presentation. Or I can just have my phone and bring my own LCD. And while you lose screen real estate while typing, viewing and editing docs should be much nicer. With the kickstand, it'd be nice to have a folding BT keyboard for more intensive data entry and editing without pulling out the laptop. The phone and keyboard would take up a fraction of what my e4200 takes up, and that's about as small as you get for a 12".

Same here. I REALLY hate on screen keyboards. But the EVO has such a HUGE screen, I don't think it matters. That keyboard is HUGE! I will miss the tactile feeling of pushing keys down though.

Upvote 0
That's actually part of the problem. They add the arrow buttons in there and now the keyboard takes up the whole damn screen again. That's one of my biggest beefs is not being able to see all that i'm typing or have easy reference to what I'm responding too. I don't know why the keys are so long instead of square. It looks like the regular android keyboard and not the typical Sense one which seems odd. The one nice thing is it's easy to keep the Evo and ditch the 4g card since the Evo is a hotspot. So even if I didn't use it as my daily phone, it'll still have a purpose.

Same here. I REALLY hate on screen keyboards. But the EVO has such a HUGE screen, I don't think it matters. That keyboard is HUGE! I will miss the tactile feeling of pushing keys down though.

Upvote 0
That's actually part of the problem. They add the arrow buttons in there and now the keyboard takes up the whole damn screen again. That's one of my biggest beefs is not being able to see all that i'm typing or have easy reference to what I'm responding too. I don't know why the keys are so long instead of square. It looks like the regular android keyboard and not the typical Sense one which seems odd. The one nice thing is it's easy to keep the Evo and ditch the 4g card since the Evo is a hotspot. So even if I didn't use it as my daily phone, it'll still have a purpose.

Since the EVO has such a huge screen, even with the keyboard up, the text is still readable. The arrows wouldn't work on anything other than the 4.3" screen. I will be anxious to try out the keyboard in the store before getting it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones