1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Otterbox case for the HTC EVO 4G LTE.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ZepTepi, May 4, 2012.

1. 3vodroid

3vodroid Android Expert
    None

Mar 26, 2012
    Male
    Diesel Mechanic- Greyhound Lines
    New Jersey
    Does the defender make your power/camera buttons very stiff like mine does? Btw yes I love the blue I have a blue theme going on with my evo :)

Advertisement

2. EasyEEE

EasyEEE Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Military Pilot
    Mobile, AL
    Yes but that's ok for me. I was always accidentally hitting the volume rocker. For me, it's now the right amount of pressure required. Heh

And I do like the firmness of the various flip back port covers. Much better and tighter than commuter.

Haven't done a blue theme yet. Post a shot. :)

dustwun77 likes this.
  3. 3vodroid

3vodroid Android Expert
    None

Mar 26, 2012
    Male
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

It's not much but I like the blueness it esp matches the otterbox if you use your imagination ;). Beautiful widgets..

So I really didn't like the power button being so stiff.. Idk why these things bother me I can never just leave anything alone haha.. So I ever so carefully skinned alittle rubber off of the underside of the power button on the defender.. And what an improvement I love it now.. If anyone does decide to do this I'm warning you now.. DO NOT take too much rubber off the button or the skin will be ruined.. It will make the button sloppy and also make the skin want to come off from the top.. So keep this in mind. :D

dustwun77, PattiCakeUS and EasyEEE like this.
  4. NaterTots

NaterTots Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 24, 2011
    Plumber
    CT
    I picked up the Defender yesterday with my BB Gift card. It is a huge improvement over the Evo 4G one from 2 years ago.

It doesn't feel as bulky and the rubber outer is much firmer.
    I just wonder if the firmer outer doesn't cushion as well in a drop?

I hope to not find out. I have a black silicone case off of Ebay for a few dollars delivered. I figured to use that one for going out to eat and stuff but I may not even change it.

Naters

EarlyMon likes this.
  5. dave4

dave4 Newbie
    None

May 16, 2012
    Just received my commuter. Its pretty good. I actually like the screen protector that came with it. Not too bulky at all, feels great.

EarlyMon likes this.
  6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    NaterTots likes this.
  7. Kiesow

Kiesow Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2010
    I bought an Otterbox Commuter case off of Ebay and am absolutely loving it. Never really liked cases and would end up getting so sick of having a case on my phone that I would take it off. This case is pretty much perfect for the LTE.

8. geeadams

geeadams Lurker
    None

Jun 15, 2012
    haha surprisingly, they make two of them.

9. Rose4uKy

Rose4uKy Android Expert
    None

May 6, 2010
    Kentucky
    I'm mad I lost the screen protector that came with mine but he ordered a pack of Clarivue that were waiting on. But I still would like to find it.

10. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 3, 2010
    Male
    I'm trying the Commuter after using the Defender for a few weeks. With the Commuter I'm not using a screen protector. Without it, the display sure looks a lot brighter and crisper than it did with the Defender and its screen protector.

11. guywithbluepants

None

Jul 23, 2010
    Hypnotist, Success Coach
    Lakewood, CA
    I have had the defender since the national release date when I got my LTE has anyone had problems with defender in holster and restarting your phone because it holds down power button?

12. 3vodroid

3vodroid Android Expert
    None

Mar 26, 2012
    Male
    New Jersey
    My phone has never restarted but the power button was way too stiff and I felt like it would.. So I modified the rubber skin alittle. Now it is perfect

guywithbluepants likes this.
  13. Lowbird

Lowbird Lurker
    None

Jun 13, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Have not had one issue with the Defender yet.
    The Ventev Edge I got first held the power button at an off angle. It would try to restart unless I pulled the rubber out and off the button. It's a shame. I liked the look and feel of that case.

14. Will Rickards

Will Rickards Member
    None

Aug 10, 2010
    Got my black commuter yesterday. Was using the bodyglove case before that. Definitely two pieces and the buttons are much easier to press, almost too easy. I'm accidentally hitting the volume quite a bit. I kind of wish I could get the body glove button feel with everything but the camera button.
    It was kind of hard to get the hard plastic second piece on over all the little port cutouts, especially the one over the usb port. I'll probably cut that one off anyway so I can put it in the car dock and not have to worry about it for plugging it in all the time.
    I probably won't go back to the body glove as that thing is a pain to take off. This one is much easier to take on and off.
    Definitely better than the original best buy hard plastic one I had. I believe this is a rebadged seido. On that I couldn't even press the camera button.

EarlyMon likes this.
  15. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :)
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    Male
    ET
    SC
    I got the Defender today. I REALLY like it.

After all of the hoopla about this phone, and I got one, I was not really liking it.

It is TOO skinny, and just wide enough to be awkward for me to hold. Plus, i was afraid i was going to drop it and/or scratch it.

I had trouble that I was accidently bumping the volume buttons, and they were way sensitive, and there I would be looking at my ringtone volume slider.... NO...

Another thing I noticed was that I was having to drag the screen around to get it to move. usually, could just give one a shove and it would scroll all over, very responsively, not this one.

Also, last but not least, I had numerous instances where i would tap on the back button and it would do not a thing... over and over... ???

So what is up with that, this glass not like my fingers???

Anyway, this Defender case takes care of ALL of those problems for me. First off, it is a VERY well designed case and fits together QUITE well. It is rugged and protective and it gives the phone just enough bulk and texture that I feel GOOD holding it, not like it is going to squirt out of my hand somewhere and shatter on the deck...

For some reason now, the screen responds 300% better than it did before, that sucker just flies around in response to my thumb. And the back key pays attention now too!

My hand can bump the volume button and not wake them up inadvertently, that is good.

I don't have much resistance as far as the power button goes, but it is a bit stiff on the camera. I can live with that if it doesn't work itself out.

The screen IS an oil magnet though, going to try keeping a microfiber cloth handy, I guess.

I'm not sure what I think of the snap on holster yet. It is BIG. One thing, the phone isn't going to fall out of there. see how hard it is to make sure I put it in there though, or how hard it is to get out when I get a call.

Anyway, I LIKE it! :D:smokingsomb:

EarlyMon likes this.
  16. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    Most likely, your screen was 'unresponsive' before because some other part of your hand was touching the screen, so when your finger presses something, it's actually a multitouch event. This happens a lot if you're trying to use the phone with one hand. Of course it varies from person to person, size of the hand, where your skin folds, wrinkles, etc.

Glad to hear the case solves the problems :)

dustwun77 and EarlyMon like this.
  17. talevo

talevo Member
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Picked up the defender in black yesterday from a sprint store. I'm a fan of seidio coming from the extended battery and rugged case with holster on the old 4G. That being said, thickness isn't an issue for me. It's about like an iphone in an otterbox, thickness wise. I've been using the otterbox holster. I definitely prefer the seidio style top latch holster over this one. The belt clip isn't designed for a very wide belt and the U shape that keeps it from slipping off the belt isn't as pronounced as the holster I had on my old evo. Also the plastic the belt clip is made out of seems very thin and almost brittle, so we'll see how it holds up. As others have said, the screen protector casts a weird grainy colored look over the rather flawless looking screen otherwise.

The main thing that bothers me is stuff can get under the screen protector and scratch the screen. This happened to a co-worker's iphone in his otterbox.

I would prefer the seidio convert but going out of town this weekend made me jump for what was available locally.

EarlyMon likes this.
  18. Nick4208

Nick4208 Newbie
    None

May 22, 2012
    Norwood, MA
    I have both the otter box defender and the seidio convert. Ive been using the defender for about 2 weeks the rubber is starting to losen up a little but still fine. I have only tried the seidio on for a little bit. I agree with you about the holster, I like the seidio one better. The seidio case is a pain to get off the surface cover part, not like the OGevo.

19. Complex757

Complex757 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 10, 2009
    Professional Cell Phone User
    Have you tried the Commuter Otterbox?

20. falconey

falconey Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 8, 2010
    Atlanta
    No I haven't. I just looked at it though. Looks to be less thick than the one I saw in Best Buy. Now let me see if I can find it with a holster and I may take a stab at it. Thanks!

21. Complex757

None

Oct 10, 2009
    The Otterbox Commuter doesn't have a holster like the Defender. I'm a holster person myself, so what I did was match up the Commuter with the Seidio Active case holster, which fits perfectly.

PattiCakeUS and EarlyMon like this.
  22. klipsch

klipsch Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    I've got the Commuter and the Defender cases and have been flip flopping back and forth between the two, after removing the screen protector from the Defender (I just use the Commuter screen protector). The Commuter case is great. It slips in and out of my pocket easily, and doesn't add "a lot" of size to the phone. But I'm not used to such a small phone, coming from the EVO 4G...and as much as I like the Commuter...it still leaves me feeling a little uneasy, for lack of a better word. Being an Otterbox, I know I needn't worry so much. When I throw the phone in the Defender case...the solid feel and the weight of the whole package, just feels so much more re-assuring. I honestly believe that if the phone fell out of my pocket and hit the cement, that I wouldn't have to worry about damaging the phone. I guess with the two cases to choose from, it's...

Commuter: Dress Case
    Defender: Everyday Case

I'm converting more people to Otterbox all the time now. I mean really...if you've ever dealt with the Customer Service at the company...why would anybody even consider using anything else??? :)

ren857 and PattiCakeUS like this.
  23. emerilnut

emerilnut Member
    None

Jun 13, 2012

I hafta agree. What a company and what a great product... I just wish they would make a holster line for the Commuter Series.

I've had my Nexus1 for 2 years now, and done pocket carry with the WorkBerry on my belt in a holster. But since I'll be getting the LTEvo next week, that becomes the bigger phone and I'll be moving that to the belt and the WorkBerry to the pocket.

Been contemplating switching to Seidio since they have a holster for their "slim" line of cases.

24. emerilnut

emerilnut Member
    None

Jun 13, 2012
    How does that clip do with the relatively "soft" rubber of the OB commuter?

25. Complex757

None

Oct 10, 2009
    The clip only partially touches the rubber of the power button. The Active case is big enough where it doesn't put enough force on the power button to turn it off, but it's still able to provide a secure fit.