• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Otterbox case for the HTC EVO 4G LTE.

I have the defender and love it. It fits so much better than the one on my photon. One problem i have that is bugging me is that i have a zagg HD on the phone and with the defender on it develops what looks to be watermarks under the screen. When i take the defender off it is still present under the zagg. Any ideas? should i just cut out the defender screen protector?
I remember it doing that with the photon and defender but i replaced the zagg on the photon with a stick on protector and that eliminated the watermarks. I would hate to remove the Zagg HD as i paid good money for it.

Upvote 0
I really like the commuter I picked up today. I'm using a Zagg protector. It did come with one (not attached to case) in the box but I already had the Zagg on there. The commuter makes it much easier for me to hold on to the phone and doesn't add much bulk. Below are some pics of my fab phone next to an I-fone with a Mophie case . . .

180a84bf.jpg

Hopefully they get some new colors soon. I like this case.

Upvote 0
Anyone have any success with finding the Night Sky (aka Blue) Defender in stores?

My order via Amazon retailer fell through - ordered 2 on Friday. Emailed Tuesday asking wth, and they cancelled my order claiming they received a bad batch of them.

I should have ordered through Otterbox ... bleh lol

EDIT: Ordered through Otterbox today. Called first to make sure they had them in stock. Girl they had a couple of hundred of the Night Sky (aka Blue) in stock. I ordered online and used the coupon AM2012 for 10% off my two cases. Web site says they bust their tails to get out by 2pm same day. We'll see. Heh.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Wait.. you want a case on top of another case? I don't understand. Otterbox commuter is relatively bulky, so i don't think any accessory companies would make an oversized sleeve or pouch that otterbox commuter can fit. The pouch can safely protect the device when the pouch is perfectly fitted. The only vertical leather pouch I know is the third product below (quoted from android central) Not sure if you like it but this can be the closest one that you are looking for.

Upvote 0
Anyone have any success with finding the Night Sky (aka Blue) Defender in stores?

My order via Amazon retailer fell through - ordered 2 on Friday. Emailed Tuesday asking wth, and they cancelled my order claiming they received a bad batch of them.

I should have ordered through Otterbox ... bleh lol

EDIT: Ordered through Otterbox today. Called first to make sure they had them in stock. Girl they had a couple of hundred of the Night Sky (aka Blue) in stock. I ordered online and used the coupon AM2012 for 10% off my two cases. Web site says they bust their tails to get out by 2pm same day. We'll see. Heh.

I ordered off Amazon.. says shipped... we'll see :(:(

Upvote 0
I ordered a black commuter via a reseller on Amazon a few days ago. It's currently en route via USPS. Based on its current location, I should have it tomorrow. I'll take some closeups with my SLR and post a review.

Meanwhile I've been super careful holding this phone. It feels like it wants to slip out of my hand at all times.

Upvote 0
Wait.. you want a case on top of another case? I don't understand. Otterbox commuter is relatively bulky, so i don't think any accessory companies would make an oversized sleeve or pouch that otterbox commuter can fit. The pouch can safely protect the device when the pouch is perfectly fitted. The only vertical leather pouch I know is the third product below (quoted from android central) Not sure if you like it but this can be the closest one that you are looking for.

I'm right now using an Otter box commuter that fits inside a leather horizontal case that works really well for my OG Evo. I am in the construction field and sometimes my hands are dirty. The leather case keeps it from the bumps and scraping while working and when I answer my phone the otter box keeps me from touching the actual phone when my hands are dirty. Genius!!! This setup keeps my phone very well protected.

Upvote 0
Just got the Commuter BLACK in today and installed it. Wow, this case is awesome! I don't have time to make a detailed review, but one will come shortly, along with lots of pics.

BTW, bundled screen protector comes with a cutout for BOTH light and proximity sensor. Good job, Otterbox.

Upvote 0
Got the phone last night, had it for about 90 minutes and decided I couldn't wait a couple of days to get a proper case. Went back to Sprint, sold out of the commuter case in black, had the pink, just not my style;). So I got the Defender and I gotta say I'm impressed after not liking the Defender for the OG. Had my OG in a Ballistic SG case and besides being a little taller (obviously) the Defender on the LTEVO is actually thinner then the OG Ballistic SG case and is very close width wise. I can comfortably put it in my pocket and it feels no different then my previous phone. Granted, I wear form fitting shorts about as often as I accessorize myself with pink:D

Upvote 0
This is an in-depth review of the Otterbox Commuter case in black color. I did not get a free case, nor did I get solicited or paid to do this review. I'm doing this review to let people know that this case is very, very well designed and should be given high consideration for those wanting a case for their LTEvo.

In a nutshell: slim phone gets a slim case without sacrificing protection at all. This thing fits snugly and feels very secure to hold. Lots of little details where you can tell Otterbox really thought about what was best. A huge improvement from the Evo 3D version as well as the original Evo case. Onto the pictures.

evosk.jpg

Here's a comparison of Otterbox Commuter cases for the entire Evo line. Note that the texture on the LTevo hard shell is rougher than the previous iterations. Although the hard plastic and silicone are the same color, the texture contrast gives the LTEvo case almost a two-tone look. I like the rough texture, and it feels good in the hand. All ports are covered securely, and there's no fear that the silicone flaps will ever tear, unlike the original Evo case. The camera and kickstand holes are well aligned, unlike the original Evo case where the camera doesn't quite line up with the hole. The Evo 3D case could have been great, but Otterbox messed up on the size of the phone; it was a very loose fit.

thickness.jpg

Thanks to LTEvo's thin profile, the case is correspondingly thin. Here you can see how thick the original Evo was, and the gradual transition to a thinner case. I think the current Defender is pleasing so many people because it's as thin as the older phones were with the Commuter. But the Commuter on LTEvo feels VERY thin, especially taking into account the high level of padding in the Commuter.

camerakickstand.jpg

Kickstand opening is large, and the case does not impede you from accessing the kickstand. Camera opening and bezel wraps neatly around the camera and flash LED. To me, the case merges very well with the materials and color of the phone.

speakerr.jpg

The hole around the speaker has two small nubs that allows the back surface of the phone to be slightly elevated when placed on a flat surface, allowing the sound to fully escape from the hole. A very smart design, and the phone sounds great from my own tests.

frontgas.jpg

Front view. Like all previous iterations, the front face of the case is all silicone. When you flip the phone over and the front side is facing down, it grips a flat surface very well. Very hard to accidentally knock it off a table, for example. The screen glass is well-recessed to prevent scratches.

powerbutton.jpg

Top edge of the phone. Power button feels good - easy to press but hard to accidentally press. Cutout for the microphone is perfectly placed. Flap for the headphone jack is secure and flush with the hard shell. Looks good.

camerabutton.jpg

The dedicated camera shutter button has a bit of texture on it. Because of this, Otterbox made the button almost flush with the rest of the edge, and you can still easily feel where the button is. More importantly, it's easier to press the button compared with the Evo 3D case. I found that the 3vo's shutter button was too hard to press while keeping the phone stable, and I was tempted to cut the silicone off completely. I took a few test shots with the LTEvo in the Commuter case and found that the dedicated shutter was still allowing me to take sharp photos, even in very low light conditions. Part of the credit obviously goes to the new camera and software, of course. The volume buttons feel fine.

protector.jpg

I was glad to see that the screen protector that came with the Otterbox had a cutout that accounted for both the light sensor and proximity sensor, especially after reading in these forums people who had malfunctioning proximity sensors due to screen protectors that overlaid the sensor. You won't have any issues here due to the screen protector.

I've used the included Otterbox screen protectors for the original Evo, the original iPad, and the Evo 3D. I can say that it is a perfectly clear protector that won't degrade image quality at all. It also feels like glass to the touch. The downsides are that it attracts finger oils easily and that the material scratches easily. We're talking about the very thin scratches that you can only see via reflection. As you can see in the above picture, I haven't applied the screen protector because I wanted to try out the Steinheil oleophobic protector that will be released on June 18. I would say that if it doesn't have the proper cutout for the proximity sensor, then I'm sticking with the Otterbox screen protector.

Conclusion: The Otterbox Commuter case for LTEvo is thin, well-designed, looks great, and protects your phone very well. Unlike the Evo models before it, I could not find anything to complain about this time around. And I was pleasantly surprised to see some thought put into some of the functional design aspects, like the nubs next to the speaker hole, the large opening around the kickstand for easier access, textured and low-profile dedicated shutter button, and proper cutout for the light and proximity sensors. Highly recommended.

Upvote 0
I picked up the Defender when I first got my phone last week. I ordered the Commuter on Amazon immediately since that was what I was used to with my EVO 4G. The Defender case is AWESOME! I got used to the extra heft of it pretty quickly, because it really wasn't any thicker than the Commuter on my old EVO. The Commuter case showed up yesterday, and I swapped the cases last night. I almost didn't like the Commuter because it's such a drastic difference in protection from the Defender. But as of this morning...the Commuter case is the bomb! The photos above really do a great job of showing it off. But you need to hold it in your hand to really appreciate it.
With my experience with Otterbox as a company...I really don't understand why anybody would buy anything else???

Upvote 0
I guess I owe it to myself to see if I can check out a Commuter.

Your review, novox, made me realize that I'd never thought about how the speaker was handled on the Defender. So, I put on some favorite YouTube tunes and laid the phone down. Turns out that the rounded bottom creates a flared horn when placed on a flat, hard surface (read: desk) and really amplifies the overall volume very nicely.

I've wanted to try out the flash with the Defender on, as their aperture for the LED is cylindrical rather than conical as on the Commuter. So just now it hit me - I put the Flashlight on and tested it on the wall of a dark room.

The light pattern coming off of the Defender rear LED is definitely patterned - a brightest center spot, with large circle of even light around that, with a small dark ring around that, followed by a light, thin ring around that.

Think of it as similar to this graphic I found, but with the dot in the center brighter white rather than a dark dot.

alisa_circular_target.jpg

Could you or someone kindly try this with the Commuter case and report back what that light pattern is?

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
By the way, just going by pictures and comparing those of the Commuter to the Defender I'm holding and I think that it sort of comes down to this, the way I see it:

The Commuter -
dartz-prombron-black-dragon-special-edition.jpg

The Defender -
2WWsherman2.jpg

I can see the appeal of the Commuter and may yet switch, but it's more like likely true that the Defender is really just totally me. ;)

Upvote 0
I really like my defender. It came in today and the extra thickness is about on par with what my OG EVO was with the commuter case I had. The whole 2 part body took me a minute to figure out how to get the darn thing in there, but its all good now :D. The only thing I don't like is the screen protector, because I can def tell images aren't as clear, but either I will get used to it and be suprised when I take it out or ill cut the screen protector off.

I feel like this thing us indestructible, but I won't be testing that theory anytime soon.
:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
This is an in-depth review of the Otterbox Commuter case in black color. I did not get a free case, nor did I get solicited or paid to do this review. I'm doing this review to let people know that this case is very, very well designed and should be given high consideration for those wanting a case for their LTEvo.

In a nutshell: slim phone gets a slim case without sacrificing protection at all. This thing fits snugly and feels very secure to hold. Lots of little details where you can tell Otterbox really thought about what was best. A huge improvement from the Evo 3D version as well as the original Evo case. Onto the pictures.

You just sold me on the commuter.

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones