• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Otterbox Commuter DHD

djdillpickle

Apr 13, 2011
Hi guys

I picked up the Otterbox commuter for the DHD recently after some thought on the Defender product from this thread

http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...box-defender-series-htc-desire-hd-review.html

I thought it was too bulky.

I am very happy with the commuter; I have no concerns about 1-2m drops, slips, falls and such.

It's is not bulky; just an extension on the phone itself.

The silicone layer is under the hard case, which makes it very easy to slide out of pockets etc.

4.5/5

I bought the Otterbox Commuter case over the weekend.

Nice case. It's not as bulky as others, but it definitely does add a bit to the feel size-wise.

A couple things I am worried about...

- The silicone insert that sits inbetween the phone and the hardcase has a flimsy cutout bit at the botton to accomodate the USB and headphone connections. It gets caught in your pocket and stretches and will be a problem eventually. I think I may try super gluing the silicone to the case along this edge permanently.

- The silicone insert, while only the corners are exposed, is enough to grab onto material when I try pull it out of my pocket. It's not a deal breaker, but put it this way, everytime I pull my phone out, I end up with an inside out pocket :p

Upvote 0
My commuter case has 2 cracks (which I've reinfored with a drop of superglue), which is a tad annoying but also is good as it means the damage isn't on my handset. My biggest annoyance is that the thin strip silicone at the base of the screen has stretched and usually gets caught when taking my phone out of my pocket. If you don't understand what I mean, here is a picture:
5619490001_bcaa2d06a9.jpg

Upvote 0
Here are the pictures on the cracks on my case.

104nuyt.jpg

I am going try to fix it by:

1. Apply a temporary cast (scotch tape) on the outside.
2. Apply super glue in the inner side of the case and let it rest for two days.
3. Apply a thing piece of plastic on the inside of the case and stick it with super glue as reinforcement.
4. Remove the temporary case on the fourth day.

And other advice. TIA.

Upvote 0
It's a shame yours has developed cracks so early on. Fixing may be more trouble than it's worth and I'd definitely give emailing Otterbox a try. They have great customer service and helped me out with another problem I had.
If not then I really don't think those two cracks will affect how well it protects the phone, unless a chunk actually breaks off. The plastic is still there to get in the way of a knock. :)

Reactions: ral
Upvote 0
Have not dropped my phone or hit it on anything. I keep it in a belt pouch and not in my pocket. Started repairing it already. Good thing is when you press the cracks together they fit snuggly (no missing plastic).

As near as I can tell, they were caused by how I press the buttons. I manipulate the volume rocker with the thumb and the power button with my forefinger from behind the phone. I noticed when I press the buttons the plastic part of the case moves a bit. It is also possible when I press the buttons sometimes I also come into contact with the plastic part of the case.

How do I feel about the OtterBox case. Okay. I am a disappointed, but in the end it is more of a cosmetic failure. I still have not seen any other case which has convinced me it will do a better job in case I actually drop my phone. So, I am a disappointed customer who will be buying another OtterBox case for my next phone.

I also had an OtterBox for the HTC HD2... which has had no issues.

Who knows, I might even get Defender for this one.

Upvote 0
My commuter case has 2 cracks (which I've reinfored with a drop of superglue), which is a tad annoying but also is good as it means the damage isn't on my handset. My biggest annoyance is that the thin strip silicone at the base of the screen has stretched and usually gets caught when taking my phone out of my pocket. If you don't understand what I mean, here is a picture:
5619490001_bcaa2d06a9.jpg

Slowly but surely I am starting to notice this issue. I am considering a silicone fix.

Upvote 0
The repair so far.

I pressed and held the cracks in the plastic outer case together by using Scotch tape and applied a small amount of Super Glue on the inside of the case.
Waited for 24 hours to let the glue set.

I removed the Scotch tape and confirmed that the glue is holding the case together.

35bur88.jpg

Since the only glue holding the pieces together would be whatever managed to seep into the cracks a place a second layer of glue behind the cracks and applied a small soft but strong piece of plastic for additional support.

Not the cleanest job... but it will do.

aob04o.jpg

Will put the phone back tonight when I get home... never did this before. They put the case on in the shop where I bought it and never have take it off till now. Any tips?

Upvote 0
It never occurred to me that I could claim under warranty as M-Nigle and djdillpickle suggested

I inquired with OtterBox is this kind of thing was covered by warranty. They said they will send me a replacement. I AM FLOORED. WOW. It will be cool if they send me a replacement. No biggie if they don't. The repaired case works out fine. I have changed the way I pressed the buttons by manipulating from the front.

Upvote 0
OtterBox is sending me a replacement. I am really surprised. See I am a lawyer and all, but I never claim on the warranty when there is physical damage. Whether the material used on something is now strong enough or such is a hard point to argue, and unless a lot of people have the same problem, it might be the way you used something.

No other case will protect my phones. I am an OtterBox client for life. I think I owe them that much.

I dropped ketchup on my phone yesterday, so I had to remove the case to clean it and was worried the cracks might give. No problem, everything held together fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones