1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Otterbox Defender case worth it on the Nexus Galaxy?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by darklide, Jan 13, 2012.

1. darklide

darklide Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 19, 2010
    Otterbox Defender case worth it on the Nexus Galaxy?

Advertisement

2. trophynuts

trophynuts Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    I work in a Tech related field. Have been in a tec
    SouthEastern US
    depends on how you treat your phones.

i'm not usually that bad on phones so i don't go with the otter box.

my fiance on the other hand will never have a phone WITHOUT an otter box. ..... if you smell what i'm cooking there.

3. artman540

artman540 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    Restaurant manager
    Kissimmee, Florida
    I like my commuter but thought the defender was way too chunky. I'm going to get the seidio surface holster to go with it and BAM. Not so chunky defender.

4. speede541

speede541 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    SF Bay Area, California
    I tolerate the Defender's bulk only because the phone is so thin. A thicker phone would have meant a thicker Otter box. I treat my phones pretty well, but I've had a few stellar drops. I just don't want to chance it. It's nice not having to worry about babying this thing.

5. ChappellHeel

ChappellHeel Member
    None

Dec 7, 2011
    +1

I needed protection for when I'm at work so the otterbox was an easy decision for me. I have it and the Diz 3. Everybody complains about the bulkiness of the otterbox but it's really not that bulky. I held it side by side with the Diz and I just didn't see a huge difference. It seems like to me that the holster is what really makes it bulky. I don't understand why they didn't make it so it would rest closer to your belt. I am always worried that I going to snag/bump it on something. I would rather use the Diz full-time but it just doesn't offer enough protection for my needs. Now is the otterbox worth $50 plus tax, prolly not. I think something like $34.99 plus tax is more reasonable.

6. umataro42

umataro42 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    Male
    San Pedro, CA
    If you're using the belt clip and consider $50 a reasonable price to pay for really good protection then yes.

If you like to keep your phone in your pocket, I would have to say no. I have the OB Defender and the Diztronics Rev3, and the Defender definitely gives you peace of mind, but it does add bulk and because the outer layer is the silicon shell, it attracts lint and will get caught on your pocket as you pull it out (unless you have really baggy pants/shorts). IMO, if the silicon part was on the inside and the hard case was the outer layer, it would be perfect.

As it is, I use the Diz Rev3 for everyday use and will switch to the OB Defender if I'm traveling or going to be around a lot of kids or some other situations where I'd want more padding on my phone.

7. darklide

darklide Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 19, 2010
    Bought a Otterbox Commuter

8. Johndubbya77

Johndubbya77 Newbie
    None

Dec 20, 2011
    I really do not like the otterbox defender case because you can never keep the screen clean... It is a pain in the ass

9. ChappellHeel

ChappellHeel Member
    None

Dec 7, 2011
    I think most folks, myself included, are removing the otterbox built-in screen protector. Its simple. Just push it out or use a hairdryer to heat up the glue then push it. I'm using a Klear Kare protector with my otter and its great. The Klear Kare doesnt completely cover tbe screen but everything else about it is great plus it cost about $2 shipped.

Johndubbya77 likes this.
  10. Lohung

Lohung Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    ok i bought the Otterbox defender the day i bought the phone.. i love it.. there is only 1 thing about it dont like.. basically the to right hand corner doesnt snap 100% tight. it wont come off but there is a bit of play in it and i suspect it is because this case REALLY is hard to get off unless you pull it apart from that corner.. only reason i dont like it is because i a SUPER anal about making things work properly.. ask Scary_Alien he will tell you lol

but you can charge it in the case, plu in ear buds, you can see the LED indicator well. Camera isnt covered or anything. so its really nice. I am very very very picky about things and i love this. it comes with its own built in Screen protector. But i put another one on the Actual phone and still flawless when it comes to screen sensitivity

hope this helped.. i think this is a superior case

11. breynolds007

breynolds007 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    REALTOR
    Louisville, KY
    My first Otterbox and very happy with fit and build quality. It does make the phone feel larger, but changes the feel from slippery to grippy and to me the protection is worth it.

12. elogical

elogical Newbie
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    I got the defender because I'm clumsy and occasionally drop my phones but I'm not so sure about it now...
    The case itself is sturdy and well made, I just can't bring myself to use it day to day though, I'll probably only use it for camping and stuff.

It makes the phone huge and hideous looking. It crosses over the magical line of what feels comfortable in the pocket and what is just way too big. In a purse it'd be ok. If you wear it with the belt clip it's not as bad but it's still big and kind of bulky, I'd rather use my slimmer leather belt case that holds the phone un-cased.

Really, I just wish they built the phone better in the first place so that we don't need $50 cases that make the phone twice as thick

13. escobar0o3

escobar0o3 Member
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    otterbox defender for the galaxy nexus is GREAT!
    i'm selling one for $30. hit me up at foamposite0o1@gmail.com

14. rivera02

rivera02 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 4, 2010
    Male
    I like the ballistic shell gel case much better than the defender. I think it fits better and feels better in hand, and it doesn't include a built in screen protector so you can use your own. Also, Amazon has it for $13, which is a lot better than the 35 they want on the website.

Tags: