1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Otterbox Defender for TBolt FINALLY released

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ProxisTech, May 23, 2011.

1. ProxisTech

ProxisTech Member

Its available for Order on the Otterbox site now. Anyone going to get it? Also, it says it has a built-in screen protector. I'm not sure I like that? I think I'd rather have that separate because I'm worried about how good it will look and fit. Will there be bubbles, dirt, etc? Does anyone have experience with this? Can it be removed if desired? I have the Seidio now and dont mind getting another but want to be sure I will like it!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. fourseamer

fourseamer Newbie

If maximum protection is the primary factor in your phone's case, I can't imagine one better at it than the Otterbox Defender. However, if you're at all concerned about bulk and retaining a modest amount of pocketability, you might want to consider alternatives.

I like the size and form factor of the TB, but you have to admit, that's its pretty substantial. My wife got an iPhone when I got my TB, and we opted for an Otterbox Commuter for her phone, because the Defender would add too much bulk to her smaller phone. Personally, I can't imagine adding any more bulk to my TB than I have with a Seido Active X case. Provides just enough protection without making the TB much bigger than it already is.

3. JEcht

JEcht Member

I have heard people with other phones that had the defender and they said stuff like dirt and dust gets behind the screen protector. I hope they fixed this issue with their product.

4. banksy507

banksy507 Newbie

the screen protector that i had for my moto droid from otterbox was just another version of what you get from verizon, except it might have been a bit thicker. that is all i could imagine this being since anything else would affect the touch screen I would imagine. I plan to get it but i'm going to wait a little to see some reviews. if it doesn't do well i will just get a seidio case for mine. i like the otterbox for my droid though.

5. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

The otterbox screen protector on the defender series is a clear sheet of plastic attached to the case itself, VZW screen protectors adhere to the screen. If dirt can get under the case at all it will end up between the clear screen protector and the screen. Not to mention the pics look like the case adds tons of bulk, I personally think the rugged/convert by seidio looks like the better case as you can still have the case without as much bulk when you don't need as much protection

6. ProxisTech

ProxisTech Member

I've decided against it. I'll keep using the SEIDIO Innocase II Surface. Its really good and adds very little bulk and I can use separate screen protectors. I've had probably 15 or so PDA's so far in my life and this is the FIRST time I got the case right on the first try!

7. JEcht

JEcht Member

If you did that then go out and buy a lottery ticket as that's pure luck.;)

I found my favorite case and it was free.

8. Just ordered mine. Should be here soon. If you want me to take pics I will make a post when I get it.

9. ProxisTech

ProxisTech Member

That would be great! Thanks. I'd be especially interested in how the built in screen protector works/looks. I am a freak about mine. I use the one from Boxwave and people cant believe there is even a screen protector on it when they look at it.

10. No problem

11. jreed2560

jreed2560 Android Expert

I plan on picking this up as soon as we get some in stock. I get them at our cost so should be around 30 bucks. The built in screen protector should be nice. I couldn't even tell it was there on the one for my dx

12. Mallissa

Mallissa Android Enthusiast

I won this case from the contest on their blog. Can't wait to get it!

13. Lucky

14. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

off topic but i just gotta say awesome avatar and YES!:(

15. carynis1doll

carynis1doll Newbie

just got mine tonight this thing is a monster its bulky, the screen protector works as good as a piece of plexyglass over the screen. the buttons are unresponsive and the micro and headset plug covers are rediculous to access. I'm sending it back a.s.a.p.

16. ProxisTech

ProxisTech Member

I'm sorry to hear that. I had great hopes for this case.

17. jreed2560

jreed2560 Android Expert

Not trying to bash you at all, so please don't misunderstand, but have you had an otterbox case before? It's just that the idea behind the case isn't to be slim, and the port covers are supposed to be covered and protected from the elements. This case is about maximum protection rather than a slim profile and easy access. I understand if you were hoping for a best of both worlds solution. Otterbox defender series cases simply aren't meant to be that. I hope you find the perfect case for you however, and maybe you can report back with what you find. I am an admitted case whore so I'm always looking for new ones!

18. carynis1doll

carynis1doll Newbie

Yes I've had otterbox cases but I did just notice that the case I had for my Eris was the "commuter" case, so when I got this phone "booth" it was a bit much. If you have had a defender series case before this may be the case for you
    Just not my cup of tea, that thing is H U G E.

19. So... I finally got it and hated it.. It is know in a box getting ready to be returned.. If anyone wants to know why I hated it just PM me..

20. dachillfx

dachillfx Well-Known Member

I 2nd that to the millionth power. I called and told them about my disappointment. The rubber would not stay on, it was hard to clip to the holster and even harder to unleash to answer a call. They did a much better job with the Evos version. As we speak my so-called built in screen protector, needs protection itself. There are particles and dust in between the screen and so-called protection. Any recommendations for something better? Something that does what this was supposed to do? Complete failure

21. Trident Kraken Just ordered mine :)

22. Kraken Series for HTC ThunderBolt rubber problem.

23. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Huh?

24. Some units I hear the rubber separates and sticks to hands. Really hard to get off hands some say you have to just let it wear off. Kind of like a car tire on road.

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews