• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Otterbox defender questions

jmcook79

Android Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2013
Florida
I'm considering a defender and customer service said that if the built in screen protector gets scratched to the point where it impairs my vision they will replace in through the warranty. I'm just curious of what their idea of "impairs your vision" is. Has anyone had any experience with replacement protectors?

I've also heard that dust and dirt can get in between and cause scratches to the protector as well as the screen. I'm just looking for opinions from people who have used them for the long term.

Thanks

Reactions: aduraharl
Otterbox has been really good about warranty issues in my experience.

I have not had the issue of the built in screen being scratched or marked up though.

The procedure is to contact them on their site, send them a couple of pics showing the problem, dated and with your name, in an email.

They also have a number you can call and their reps have been quite friendly and helpful.

This may sound like an ad or that I work for them or something, but it isn't. I have just had experience with them. The Defender has saved my phones more than once and I have not had any problem getting a replacement.

On the HTC Evo 4g LTE, the design of the flap on the charging port was 'unfortunate'. It could not stand the strain. I had it replaced for that a few times. Also had it replaced when I tore the clasp off the holster getting caught on a machine guard.

Ymmv, but I have had great success with this product and company.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info! I was just looking at a friend's defender yesterday. She has it on her iPhone and she said she's dropped it many times in parking lots etc. but one drop on her floor at home shattered her screen lol. I'm thinking maybe those other drops formed a crack she couldn't see maybe in the corner or the iPhone is just that fragile.

Upvote 0
Yeah, could have been a crack or maybe it landed at home on some uneven surface that came in contact with a screen.

With Defender, yes, their customer support is very good, bar none. And yes, their plastic cheap built-in screen protectors are garbage which 99% of people I know with Note 2 phones remove the second they get the case. Also, you have to keep in mind, screen protectors, either film or built in are only there to protect from scratches. They offer zero protection from impact. For that you need to get tempered glass screen protectors. I can't image my phone without. It offers a true glass experience (if you get a nice one like Seidio VITREO) and the tempered glass itself will shatter absorbing the impact instead of your screen.

Upvote 0
Do you have an Otterbox Defender with a tempered glass screen protector? I wouldn't want to just get the protector because if I drop it would surely be scratched or broken and then I have to buy another one and they're not cheap. If it will fit with a commuter or defender that would be great because even if I dropped the phone face down it's not going to come into contact with the ground so I would just have to worry about possible shattering not scratching.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones