• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Otterbox-type hard case for Samsung Captivate?

el frugalista

Jul 31, 2010
USA
Hi everyone. New to this forum and to Android. Previously an iPhone 3G owner until the iOS4 issues; decided to check out Android. My first Android purchase was the Motorola Backflip which I returned in a few days....primarily due to the odd form factor and Android 1.5 with no firm date on an upgrade.

Wisely spent the extra $ on the Captivate and love it!

My iPhone had an Otterbox defender case which I liked. I've written to Otterbox and they currently have no plans to release a case for the Captivate.

Are there any manufacturers who currently sell a hard case for the Captivate so that I can protect my new purchase?

Not at this point, at least, not hard as in the dual layer protection of the Otterbox. However, the body glove is a decent case and I plan on using it until something better comes along. I don't expect Otterbox to make a case for it, but usually Case-Mate makes good dual-layer, hybrid cases for android phones. Unfortunately, not sure when that will be. I think a lot of it will depend on how well the sales for the Captivate go. Also, had Samsung released an identically designed phone for all 4 carriers, or at least 3 of them, then I think we would have a better shot of getting a good case faster.

Reactions: el frugalista
Upvote 0
I just purchased the samsung captivate 2 weeks ago and i immediately searched for otterboxes for my phone (the defender series preferablly) and noticed that they havent released the series yet. I then proceeded to send several emails to otterbox with no replies. I then read this post, which made me very upset. I then sent a very long email to otterbox explaining the information i had found on this website and i soon got a response from customer service saying that otterbox has never said they were not going to make a series of otterboxes for the captivate, they advised that no one knows what products will be coming out until the engineers decide and post the product on the webiste. So with that in mind hopefully they understand that there is a need for otterboxes for the samsung captivate!

Upvote 0
I found this thread and this site by googling hard case for samsung captivate

I too am a longtime customer of otter box....still am...expecting yet another package of various waterproof boxes today...1 was for my phone and cameras since I couldn't get an otter box made special for the phone

Good to know they are doing it now...I've signed up for the email

Great thread and great site

Incidentally.....mt captivate won't let me C&P entire news articles....just a few words....what am I doing wrong?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones