• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Otterbox will work

I posted this in the cases thread, but thought it may get overlooked since there are so many posts in there. I know a lot of people are wanting to get an otterbox. This was on Facebook today a few hours ago:

OtterBox: Hi Black, apparently the Inspire has nearly the same form factor as the Desire HD. Our Engineering Otters tell me that our Desire HD Commuter Series case will work for the Inspire, but our Defender Series case will require some modifications. Hope this helps!

The HTC Desire HD defender series WILL fit the HTC Inspire perfectly with no fuctionality issues. I have an Inspire and currently it is enclosed in an HTC Desire HD defender series. I think its all a marketing scheme. Apparently everyone has figured it out because its almost impossible to find a HTC Desire HD defender series anywhere on the net. If your still in doubt find a seller who offers returns, but i promise you, it will fit outa the box.

Upvote 0
Just got my Commuter case. Fits fine. A little put off by the weight that it adds (I was expecting some, but not as much as it does). Also, the power button cover makes it harder to turn the phone on and off. I am sure it will "loosen" up a bit with use, but wanted to give you all my first impressions. Despite the added weight and power button frustration, I will be keeping the case on my phone. Can't risk dropping it and I am sure if I do this case will protect the phone.

Upvote 0
This is the response from Otterbox website...
Answers

• Staff

A:
Fit isn't the issue, unfortunately. There are functional features that are different between the two devices. The design of the Commuter Series allowed for full accessibility of all features of the device. Given the design of the Defender Series, one or more of the features that are necessary for full functionality are hindered. We are considering options to modify our Defender Series to make the Inspire 4G fully compatible with the Desire HD case.
1 week, 1 day ago
by
Chris
Otter HQ

What functions are different between the two models? I was under the impression that they are the exact same phone functionally.

Upvote 0
I can't remember where I read it but it may just be the holster clip interfering with the headphone port. I don't plan on using the holster anyways. But then again I'm not opposed to a little modification to get things to work proper. I guess I'll find out in a few days once it's shipped and post my findings. :D

Everyone that I've found online who got one said the Defender works fine on the Inspire.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones