• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Outage Since Hurricane Sandy-Four Months!

redvw

Lurker
Dec 23, 2012
My home area has had a Virgin Mobile phone outage since Hurricane Sandy. This morning a V.M. phone representative informed me that this outage will not be repaired until February 2013 (thus a four month outage). The rep was unable to provide any specific information on what was wrong with the system or why it was going to take so long to repair the outage.

That seems crazy to me, though I can see why it might take a while to fix if towers and other infrastructure was damaged in your area. Four months seems crazy, or at least that they don't care about your area.

I remember during Ike that I lost Virgin Mobile for a day or so, which was nice because I didn't have a land line for a week.

Hopefully VM is at least providing some compensation for this (the free month they offered Sandy survivors doesn't seem to help at all); though it feels like they should be providing you alternative service if it is going to take 4 months (say, roaming through Verizon during this period).

Upvote 0
Four months is terrible. I lost service for a few days and was compensated for it. Of course if the towers in your area were at the Jersey shore, the time line makes more sense. I worked the Ocean City clean up, but they were not hit too bad. On the other hand, Seaside Heights was decimated. I took some pictures while working there:

CLICKY

Upvote 0
Four months is terrible. I lost service for a few days and was compensated for it. Of course if the towers in your area were at the Jersey shore, the time line makes more sense. I worked the Ocean City clean up, but they were not hit too bad. On the other hand, Seaside Heights was decimated. I took some pictures while working there:

CLICKY

Stunning to see all of the damage. :( Thank you for the pictures, Ranhead.

I certainly hope that VM's estimate of service restoration in February is way conservative, redvw, and that the restoration comes very, very soon. You would think that "they" would come up with a temporary alternative service for all of the VM users effected by Sandy. I realize that food and shelter take precedence, but I would think that you folks are already at your wits' end without having to deal with yet one more problem.

Holly

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones