• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [OUTDATED] Root 2.2.1 and get Data WORKING!!!

There sure is a lot of confusion in this thread. Is there anybody who has done this and is not having problems? If so we need a thread that is the exact directions all the way through and no posts on how "I messed up a step and need help with my brick." All this does is confuse this more and make it seem like this does not work. I keep reading people say "I did it and everything is OK", then their next post is "everything is all wrong." Maybe making a 2.2 and 2.2.1 version post sticky if they are both 100% and cutting off all replies. It seems we have created enough bricks in here to start the first course of a wall on a nice sized house.

Upvote 0
Well I was interested in rooting my phone just to get rid of bloatware. But this just sounds way to complicated.
I'm with you on that dude not to mention it looks like alot of noobs are bricking their phones I need mine for work so there is no chance until they come up with a better work around or at leasty get all the files and instructions ON ONE PAGE!!! how long till something like z4 for 2.2 comes out for out of the box 2.2.1?? I think 2 weeks or less.. Let's hope and pray an un-rooted droid is suckle

Upvote 0
There sure is a lot of confusion in this thread. Is there anybody who has done this and is not having problems? If so we need a thread that is the exact directions all the way through and no posts on how "I messed up a step and need help with my brick." All this does is confuse this more and make it seem like this does not work. I keep reading people say "I did it and everything is OK", then their next post is "everything is all wrong." Maybe making a 2.2 and 2.2.1 version post sticky if they are both 100% and cutting off all replies. It seems we have created enough bricks in here to start the first course of a wall on a nice sized house.

Joneidy did a great job on making the directions. For a novice it might be a little complicated so i recommend reading the directions and watching andyo70's video before attempting this. if you think it seems too difficult then don't attempt it. I am sure they will eventually have a one click method like z4root for 2.2.1 or when 2.3 comes out.

the directions are great and it will work if you follow every step exactly as it is written.

Thanks again to edodonnell, Joneidy, andyo70, and whomever else that has contributed to this method.:cool:

Upvote 0
I agree, these guys did a great job with helping us out! You just have to research it for a few until you know what "adb" and how to use it and whatever else. just don"t jump into this until you have read and understood all instructions and then it will work great for you!

My phone is rooted, deleted bloatware, and I now can take advantage to tether the awesome metro pcs 2G speed! :)

Upvote 0
Joneidy did a great job on making the directions. For a novice it might be a little complicated so i recommend reading the directions and watching andyo70's video before attempting this. if you think it seems too difficult then don't attempt it. I am sure they will eventually have a one click method like z4root for 2.2.1 or when 2.3 comes out.

the directions are great and it will work if you follow every step exactly as it is written.

Thanks again to edodonnell, Joneidy, andyo70, and whomever else that has contributed to this method.:cool:

I think he did a good job too, obviously put a lot of time and effort in to this guide. But I must agree that some people (myself included) should not attempt this method.

Upvote 0
Thank you guys for all the hard work. As of last night, I have rooted my stock 2.2.1 optimus m! Anyone have any tips on wireless tethering? The app starts and my computer sees then network but it won't receive an ip address and connect. I am running slackware 13.1, not that the os should matter in this situation. Any help will be appreciated!

Upvote 0
Hello I have followed all directions to the T. I get to the point after I enter my SPC code, LGNPST runs for approximately 10 seconds and then I get an error stating " ERROR: Unable to load [LGNPST_PortManager5.dll] Component Path = C:\LG Electronics\Components 5.0\LGNPST_PortManager5.dll Version = HR= 0x0" I've uninstalled and reinstalled all the drivers and software multiple times. I ran reggie.exe in compatability mode as I am running Windows 7 32 bit. I'm kind of out of answers. If anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you

Upvote 0
Hello I have followed all directions to the T. I get to the point after I enter my SPC code, LGNPST runs for approximately 10 seconds and then I get an error stating " ERROR: Unable to load [LGNPST_PortManager5.dll] Component Path = C:\LG Electronics\Components 5.0\LGNPST_PortManager5.dll Version = HR= 0x0" I've uninstalled and reinstalled all the drivers and software multiple times. I ran reggie.exe in compatability mode as I am running Windows 7 32 bit. I'm kind of out of answers. If anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you

Dont know if this will help. I rooted mine running windows 7 in a VM on slackware. I got an error until I did this.. Made sure phone was in debug, powered the phone down, powered it up and right when the metropcs screen comes up I hit start and entered my spc fairly quickly in lgnspt. Hope that helps you or someone else. Also when it started the masterbin step I had to make sure my vm still saw my device.

Upvote 0

That is not a drivers issue. Try uninstalling the components and reinstalling them. I had to do it with UAC off for them to install correctly.

Goodluck

Upvote 0
That is not a drivers issue. Try uninstalling the components and reinstalling them. I had to do it with UAC off for them to install correctly.

Goodluck

Yeah I realize that it's not the driver. I've been reinstalling the software quite a bit as well to no avail. And I always install from trusted sources with UAC off. UAC seems to be more a hassle than good anyways.

Upvote 0

Hey everyone! I followed the directions completely. Sorta. I smoke weed so I made a few mistakes :) If you are brave and wanna root follow the guide. When your service turns off follow the 2nd page and 2x check your lines in adb shell. It DOES work, my M was stock 2.2.1 and aside from some rookie mistakes I had no problems.

Now can we get custom recovery working? :) Thanks guys!

Upvote 0

Hey everyone! I followed the directions completely. Sorta. I smoke weed so I made a few mistakes :) If you are brave and wanna root follow the guide. When your service turns off follow the 2nd page and 2x check your lines in adb shell. It DOES work, my M was stock 2.2.1 and aside from some rookie mistakes I had no problems.

Now can we get custom recovery working? :) Thanks guys!

Upvote 0
Hey Guys...
I think it will be awesome if any of you 2 can do a video and post it with step by step on how to do this cause this is very complicated stuff for some of us noobies :eek:. Instead of trying to explain it in writting... a video would be the best thing to help us..please, please, please...!!!

If you're not able to post it here.. upload to youtube and then provide the link :D. thanks for your hard work.

Upvote 0
Hey Guys...
I think it will be awesome if any of you 2 can do a video and post it with step by step on how to do this cause this is very complicated stuff for some of us noobies :eek:. Instead of trying to explain it in writting... a video would be the best thing to help us..please, please, please...!!!

If you're not able to post it here.. upload to youtube and then provide the link :D. thanks for your hard work.

i plan on making a video the next time one of my friends gets an optimus that i root..i have way to much put into mine to reflash again..but dont rush into this,youll end up bricking your phone..there will be a video post VERY soon!:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones