• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

outlook sync problem

gebrown

Lurker
Apr 15, 2018
i recently updated my galaxy s7 to an s9.

i use outlook for e.mails, calendars etc.

i have an issue with syncing my s9 with my laptop.

on the sync account page on the s9, under account "microsoft exchange sync", there are two error messages for "sync contacts" and "sync calendar" .... message is "sync is currently experiencing problems. it will be back shortly" and the message has been there from phone purchase date. anyone else having the same problem?

Sounds like there's a problem with your online account not being authenticated correctly. Try going into Settings >> Apps menu, find and open the 'Outlook' app, tap on 'Force stop, then tap on 'Storage' and 'Clear data'. By using 'Clear data' that deletes any settings and configurations made to the app, along with the app's cache. Now start up the Outlook app and it should start up like the first time you used it. You'll need to re-enter your email address and password and let the app go through the proper authentication process again.
(you're phone isn't syncing with your laptop, it's a matter where both your phone and your laptop are syncing with your online Outlook account, or a MS Exchange Server if that's where your account resides)

Upvote 0
Sounds like there's a problem with your online account not being authenticated correctly. Try going into Settings >> Apps menu, find and open the 'Outlook' app, tap on 'Force stop, then tap on 'Storage' and 'Clear data'. By using 'Clear data' that deletes any settings and configurations made to the app, along with the app's cache. Now start up the Outlook app and it should start up like the first time you used it. You'll need to re-enter your email address and password and let the app go through the proper authentication process again.
(you're phone isn't syncing with your laptop, it's a matter where both your phone and your laptop are syncing with your online Outlook account, or a MS Exchange Server if that's where your account resides)

Can I resurrect this thread? I have exactly the same problem, and I have even just moved from S7 -> S9. I use Hotmail/Outlook.com as my central calendar & contacts store.

However, this isn't an issue with Outlook android App. I am using the native Mail, Contacts & Calendar apps from Samsung. I've tried the 'clear' option with Samsung Mail. No change.

Bottom line - they worked great on the S7, not on the S9. I've installed the Outlook app just so I can see my diary (syncs fine), but I would prefer not to use it - its clunky. And it doesnt sync my contacts!

When I open Calendar I dont even see the Hotmail calendar as an option, just the unwanted Samsung & Google standard choices!! In Contacts, I see the Hotmail account listed (but showing 0 contacts).

In Settings>Accounts I am all set up correctly to sync calendar & contacts via "MSFT Exchange ActiveSync", But I get the exact same error messages as gebrown. See below:
https://www.screencast.com/t/081HJIdYcuI

sOQDbbuozh

sOQDbbuozh

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can I resurrect this thread? I have exactly the same problem, and I have even just moved from S7 -> S9. I use Hotmail/Outlook.com as my central calendar & contacts store.

However, this isn't an issue with Outlook android App. I am using the native Mail, Contacts & Calendar apps from Samsung. I've tried the 'clear' option with Samsung Mail. No change.

Bottom line - they worked great on the S7, not on the S9. I've installed the Outlook app just so I can see my diary (syncs fine), but I would prefer not to use it - its clunky. And it doesnt sync my contacts!

When I open Calendar I dont even see the Hotmail calendar as an option, just the unwanted Samsung & Google standard choices!! In Contacts, I see the Hotmail account listed (but showing 0 contacts).

In Settings>Accounts I am all set up correctly to sync calendar & contacts via "MSFT Exchange ActiveSync", But I get the exact same error messages as gebrown. See below:

sOQDbbuozh

sOQDbbuozh

UPDATE:

Weird though this sounds, the problem I had with syncing my outlook.com data to the native Android Calendar & Contacts app has disappeared.

I did remove & reinstall my MSFT ActiveSync account on the phone. I had also tried another of the fixes shown in this thread - to set up my outlook.com connection using the Gmail Exchange setting, but they didn't get Calendar & Contacts working.

I'm convinced this is a tech problem because I know how to set this all up properly - It worked like a dream with my new Tab S3 tablet just last week (Android 8/Calendar 4.4.04.7/Contacts 3.8.25.22). And it worked on my old phone - Galaxy S7 Edge. The issue seems to be with either Android 9 and/or the Galaxy S9 set up. Given the frequency of this problem on the web, I suspect it is an ongoing Android issue, maybe linked to the fact that you're forced to have Google & Samsung trying to sync with their accounts before you have the chance to say "No don't do that, just use outlook.com". I had also had to install MSFT's Outlook app just to see my calendar (before it was fixed - uninstalled now).

The situation with my problem was:
  • Under settings>Accounts, only ActiveSync was set to sync contacts and calendar. The other defaults (Google & Samsung) were turned off.
  • There were some other IMAP mail accounts which worked fine, as did my outlook.com email (suggesting the ActiveSync connection was correctly made).
  • In the Contacts app, I could see the ActiveSync connection, it just showed "0" contacts.
  • In the Calendar app, I couldn't even see the ActiveSync account/calendars. It only showed the default Google & Samsung (even though the accounts were set not to sync in Settings/Accounts - I guess I will have to live with this). The various Google/Samsung calendars were un-ticked (ie don't show)
  • FYI, I had set up my new Galaxy S9 using Samsung's "SmartSwitch". Maybe this did something funny - though of course Contacts 7 Calendar worked properly on my old S7 Edge??

First to sync were my contacts - this happened before I deleted/reset my ActiveSync account. All of a sudden the message that "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly", disappeared from Contacts, and just stayed with Calendar. I had stopped & cleared data from Contacts, and also tried some 3rd party apps (none any good because they simply piggy-back the data in the native android app, rather than set up new syncs themselves) Something in that cleared whatever was blocking.

Then after I stopped/cleared data in Calendar, and deleted/reconnected my ActiveSync account, I could at least see my outlook.com calendars (and yes, I had ticked them to show in the app). However, nothing was showing...at least initially. I pressed sync several times (both in Settings>Accounts>ActiveSync, and within Calendar. First sign of life was a test event I set up on the S9 actually came through to outlook.com in the cloud & from there to my other devices. Nothing in the other direction though.

I went to bed, and in the morning the calendar had synched, and is working as it should!!!

Digital technology shouldn't work like this, but it did for me. It EVENTUALLY worked exactly as it is meant to - no need to manually import non-synched copies, no need to set up outlook.com using Gmail's Exchange connection. I've posted my story hoping it will help others with the same frustration.

I would love to see that as an 'official instruction' from Google - your email will sync immediately, contacts will start after 3 hours, and calendars only when you are asleep!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • FYI, I had set up my new Galaxy S9 using Samsung's "SmartSwitch". Maybe this did something funny - though of course Contacts 7 Calendar worked properly on my old S7 Edge??

If I were to guess, I would say that this sounds like a certificate issue. When you transferred your data apps and settings from the S7 I'd bet it copied the old certificate as well, which would be all fine and dandy except you wouldn't have the same key on the S9. The certificate renewed overnight and now it's allowing the connection.

Upvote 0
If I were to guess, I would say that this sounds like a certificate issue. When you transferred your data apps and settings from the S7 I'd bet it copied the old certificate as well, which would be all fine and dandy except you wouldn't have the same key on the S9. The certificate renewed overnight and now it's allowing the connection.

Thanks - beyond my knowhow that, but it seems strange this certificate mismatch didnt prevent email sync from the outset, and contacts worked well before calendar. It's all one connection to outlook.com.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones