• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Outlook sync with non-exchange email

PaulaG

Lurker
Jun 26, 2011
Liking a lot about the Charge so far but if I can't figure out an easy, reliable way to regularly sync with my Outlook contacts and calendar I'm going to return it. My previous phone was a Blackberry Storm so was extremely easy and reliable to sync using Blackberry Desktop Manager. I have a pop3 email account linked to Outlook 2007, non-gmail (embarrassed to say it's an AOL email address but I've had it for 11 years so hard to change now). The feedback on this site for the 3rd party apps scares me to death (I.E. gsyncit or companionlink seem to be nothing but trouble). What should I do? Have to say I never thought it would be a difficult task!

Thank you!

Liking a lot about the Charge so far but if I can't figure out an easy, reliable way to regularly sync with my Outlook contacts and calendar I'm going to return it. My previous phone was a Blackberry Storm so was extremely easy and reliable to sync using Blackberry Desktop Manager. I have a pop3 email account linked to Outlook 2007, non-gmail (embarrassed to say it's an AOL email address but I've had it for 11 years so hard to change now). The feedback on this site for the 3rd party apps scares me to death (I.E. gsyncit or companionlink seem to be nothing but trouble). What should I do? Have to say I never thought it would be a difficult task!

Thank you!
I just received my Charge yesterday and the 1st thing I did was sync my contacts in Outlook by using a program called "Companion Link."
It works. You can Google it, and there are other programs.

Upvote 0
My favorite non-gmail email app that will do just about anything is K9, give that a whirl before taking phone back. The default add accounts allows you to add exchange type emails too. Another way to fix your problem is to create a dummy gmail account and forward your AOL email to that account. Setup your reply to address as your AOL account, your contacts will not know what you are doing. Lots of ways to circumvent your AOL account. I do the same for my ancient MSN account, forward to my Gmail, and use Gmail App for all things home/personal... I use K9 for work email, works great!

Upvote 0
The feedback on this site for the 3rd party apps scares me to death (I.E. gsyncit or companionlink seem to be nothing but trouble). What should I do? Have to say I never thought it would be a difficult task!

Paula,

At CompanionLink, we offer a 2-week free trial in addition to free support. Not only that, but I'm here in the forums to offer up help as well. Hopefully that offers you some reassurance about trying our software! If you have any questions, just let me know.

- David Z.

Upvote 0
I feel your pain. Before I switched from WinMo phone to Android, I wanted to make sure there was a way to sync contacts and calendar WITHOUT using the cloud. I'm sure Google would never mine my contacts, etc. for marketing purposes! Right?

Anyway, when I found MyPhoneExplorer, I was more confident in making the switch. I am 2 weeks with my DroidCharge, and have been using this app since day 2. It's free, no ads, and it works. In addition to syncing, you can move files back and forth, monitor phone status, and actually send text messages from your PC while connected (not sure why).

You can connect WiFi, Bluetooth, or USB, I've tried all 3. WiFi is the simplest.

I donated to the developer, since this is better than some paid apps.

Download the PC software here: FJ Software Development

And get the phone client from the Market.

Upvote 0
My favorite non-gmail email app that will do just about anything is K9, give that a whirl before taking phone back. The default add accounts allows you to add exchange type emails too. Another way to fix your problem is to create a dummy gmail account and forward your AOL email to that account. Setup your reply to address as your AOL account, your contacts will not know what you are doing. Lots of ways to circumvent your AOL account. I do the same for my ancient MSN account, forward to my Gmail, and use Gmail App for all things home/personal... I use K9 for work email, works great!

I tried K9, unfortunately it does not sync with Exchange 2010, otherwise I was ready to use K9 for all my e-mail

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones