• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Outrunning the car charger?

sbhsquared

Lurker
Apr 19, 2012
Is it typical to "outrun" the car charger - I know it charges more slowly than the home charger, but it seems a bit ridiculous to be charging in the car for 6 hours on a trip, and to get home with very little battery left. (And a very hot Maxx, as well.) I'm running Google Navigation, music (stock app) and Bluetooth, and ICS. Is that just too much drain for the car charger to keep up with?

Thanks,
Beth

Check the output of your car charger. I have a 1Amp charger and it will barely charge if I am running navigation. When I was on a .5Amp charger it would actually drain quite rapidly.

Also, I find for long trips I turn the screen off when I have a good distance between turns as Screen On is usually the number one battery killer. Say I have 50 miles to the next exit I'll just make a mental note of my odometer and turn the screen on after about 45 miles.

Upvote 0
Is it typical to "outrun" the car charger - I know it charges more slowly than the home charger, but it seems a bit ridiculous to be charging in the car for 6 hours on a trip, and to get home with very little battery left. (And a very hot Maxx, as well.) I'm running Google Navigation, music (stock app) and Bluetooth, and ICS. Is that just too much drain for the car charger to keep up with?

Thanks,
Beth

It's your charger. I had the same problem, I purchased a new one and voila problem solved.

Upvote 0
It's your charger. I had the same problem, I purchased a new one and voila problem solved.

Do you have a link you can post of the one you bought or tell us where you got it? I have a Motorola car charger, the one with the clear circle with the M logo on it and blue light that would add to the charge level just fine with my previous Droid X with Navigation, Bluetooth and Music App running simultaneously. Same charger with my Razr Maxx running the same things on ICS at 85% screen brightness stays about even or maybe loses a percentage point or two per hour.

Upvote 0
Do you have a link you can post of the one you bought or tell us where you got it? I have a Motorola car charger, the one with the clear circle with the M logo on it and blue light that would add to the charge level just fine with my previous Droid X with Navigation, Bluetooth and Music App running simultaneously. Same charger with my Razr Maxx running the same things on ICS at 85% screen brightness stays about even or maybe loses a percentage point or two per hour.

To be honest with you I'm using one from Walmart. I'll include a picture. I believe it was 10 bucks.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1342567436687.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1342567436687.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 62
  • uploadfromtaptalk1342567448080.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1342567448080.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 55
Upvote 0
It could be a couple of things. As stated already, what is the amperage on your charger? Is the phone in the direct sun when charging?

The temperature makes a huge difference when charging. I have a 2.1 amp charger that works great (the phone only draws < ~1 amp). Even then, during the summer time when driving in the direction of the sun my phone's battery will slowly decrease even though it's charging. In the summer when driving the opposite direction, or any other time of the year my phone's charge increases. In the summer the phone's temp can get as high as 125 (driving with the sun hitting the phone), whereas it's usually around 105 any other time when charging. Remember, temperature is kryptonite to electronic devices.

Here's the charger that I use:
Amazon.com: Griffin Technology PowerJolt 2.1 amp Power Charger for iPad, iPhone and iPod (Black): Electronics

Upvote 0
I have the Verizon Charger with the little trap door on it that has a standard USB connection as well as the normal sub-mini Razr one.

I find the thing charges REALLY FAST even when using Google Navigation.
Don't use the phone for music so I can't comment on that, but I do have the brightness on full when plugged in so that's definitely a drain.

Try another charger.

Upvote 0
I have the Verizon Charger with the little trap door on it that has a standard USB connection as well as the normal sub-mini Razr one.

I find the thing charges REALLY FAST even when using Google Navigation.
Don't use the phone for music so I can't comment on that, but I do have the brightness on full when plugged in so that's definitely a drain.

Try another charger.

Ya its definitely the charger. I use spotify navigation and Waze when on road trips and my phone charges fine.

Upvote 0
OrderFromChaos raises a very valid point about temperature impacts. I live in TX and I noticed this morning driving into work before the sun was up that I did increase my charge level. The times when I've noticed a drop in charge has been in the afternoon driving home when it's much hotter and the sun is beating on my phone. I even use a A/C vent mount to try and help keep the device cooler.

Upvote 0
I would say it can also be the car. I know it is the case for me. My wife and I had the same charger. When in my car I would plug it in, use waze and stream music via winamp - screen on the entire time hooked up with an AUX cable to the stero (for the music). by the end of the trip I would have more power than I started with.

Now, in my wife's car I use the same charger and only use waze (no aux input so not streaming music) and the battery will be much lower at the end of the same trip. So that shows me the car can have something to do with it.

We did recently pick up a new charger for my car, since we take longer trips in it:
reNUE c2 - Dual 10 Watt (2.1A) USB Car Charger
and OMFG it is amazing. Super fast for *both* phones. I would pay doubel that for the same thing because it works so well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones