• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Outside/daylight N1 screen performance?

@Talderon: If you can use that brightness in the sun then they must've given you a diff screen then mine, I wouldn't be able to see jack.

Not sure what's going on, but right after I posted that what I posted, I went outside, where it was sunny, and I had no issues reading mail and taking a picture.

Either way, it's all good for me. :)

Upvote 0
No thats not what i said . But its cool, I told the moderator id leave it be so i will. But again your wrong too. My original post was quite clear - Why use the phone in direct sunlight? I wasnt talking anything about general use outdoors until my second post and even then i made it clear what was being discussed. It was someone else who misread it and accused me of insulting people, thats what got it going. But again its cool, ya wanna use your phone in direct sunlight go ahead it your phone.
Haha sorry sberg didnt mean to stirr things up again :p
It's just that when I read your post I interpreted it the exact same way rose did.. So maybe not that clear after all.
And don't worry, I won't use my phone in direct sunlight. I'll just take your advice and tilt it a little :cool:

@Talderon: Dammit, I want what ever screen you have! I just tested your settings outside at noon and browsing anything was nearly impossible in the sun -.-

Upvote 0
I run mine almost exactly the same as Talderon
I do have a screen protector on but it never said anything about anti-glare or sun resistant or super powers.

I can see my screen in direct sun light but it is washed out, which is normal imo.
People compare it to the iPhone, its almost exactly the same. I had a 3G and a 3GS and both were similar in direct sun light.
In fact, any phone I've ever seen with an oversized colour display is washed out and mostly un-readable in direct sun light.
For instance, I went out the other night and the next morning was sat in the garden with friends looking at pictures we took of the night before. On both their phones the pictures were black, you had to cup your hands round it to see anything.
On my N1, everyone could see the pictures, even the dark ones in direct sun light and even commented how good the phone performed outside in the light.

Upvote 0
I run mine almost exactly the same as Talderon
I do have a screen protector on but it never said anything about anti-glare or sun resistant or super powers.

I can see my screen in direct sun light but it is washed out, which is normal imo.
People compare it to the iPhone, its almost exactly the same. I had a 3G and a 3GS and both were similar in direct sun light.
In fact, any phone I've ever seen with an oversized colour display is washed out and mostly un-readable in direct sun light.
For instance, I went out the other night and the next morning was sat in the garden with friends looking at pictures we took of the night before. On both their phones the pictures were black, you had to cup your hands round it to see anything.
On my N1, everyone could see the pictures, even the dark ones in direct sun light and even commented how good the phone performed outside in the light.

Interestign to hear that, I've always thought that the iPhone has the best sunlight legibility of all the smartphones currently on the market.

Upvote 0
Yeah the screen is the biggest battery drain of all, so leaving it at full brightness at all times isn't really recommended. Especially in the dark, full brightness is just waay too bright for me.

That's a great way to blind yourself. I can't stare at the screen for more than a few seconds @ full brightness in the dark...I also don't think it's good for your eyes too

Upvote 0
I ran my screen on full brightness for like a few seconds when I first got the phone. Just to see what it was like. It's way too bright to be needed for every day usage. Like others said, it damn near blinds you.
You might as well be staring into the flash on the back!

@Roze: I've had a 3G iPhone and I still have my 3GS iPhone and I still say that the N1 is no worse in sun light than either handset. I cannot do a side by side comparison with a 3G but the 3GS for sure.

Upvote 0
@Roze: I've had a 3G iPhone and I still have my 3GS iPhone and I still say that the N1 is no worse in sun light than either handset. I cannot do a side by side comparison with a 3G but the 3GS for sure.

Oh that's good to know :) I've always heard/read how great the iphone's screen is and better then most of the phones on the market. Most of the reviews I've read always compared the phone in question with the iphone when it came to sunlight legibility, lol.

Upvote 0
Oh that's good to know :) I've always heard/read how great the iphone's screen is and better then most of the phones on the market. Most of the reviews I've read always compared the phone in question with the iphone when it came to sunlight legibility, lol.

Well but I'm sure you alse heard everything in iPhone is better than in others phones (however I did).

About the screen. I don't know what problem people have. I waited for very sunny day to chech how does it perform and it was visible (maybe not perfect but wi was quite surprised). I think it is even better than my old LG viewty (TF display) which I couldn't watch the move because of reflections while on nexus it's fine (no more :) you wan't experie nice colours and stuff but I think everybody know to don't expect it).

I din't compare it to iPhone (I dont wanna to touch it :p)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones