• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OUYA: Video Game Console

I see this as the next Amiga 500. A system where you can do anything you want on it that you plug into your TV. Games are important but the real value comes from the other apps that you could use on it. Imagine the educational possibilities. For example, an interactive multimedia history lesson.

A lot of people were excited when Sony talked about using another OS on the playstation 3 but that was taken out (PS3 Firmware (v3.21) Update – PlayStation Blog). Even from the beginning, the other OS couldn't use the 3D hardware.

Upvote 0
I see this as the next Amiga 500. A system where you can do anything you want on it that you plug into your TV. Games are important but the real value comes from the other apps that you could use on it. Imagine the educational possibilities. For example, an interactive multimedia history lesson.

I agree. Games are very important to get people to the system. From there it can really open up. I do wonder, how will tilting or swipe games work?

Upvote 0
I agree. Games are very important to get people to the system. From there it can really open up. I do wonder, how will tilting or swipe games work?

For swiping, there is a touchpad on the controller.

You need to remember, though. This will NOT have the android market. It will have their own market, so not every android game iwll be playable. developers who wish to leverage OUYA will need to take this into acccount when designing their games, so you will probably not see many gesture/sensor based games on OUYA at all.

Upvote 0
Or they could just put accelerometers in the controller. Android already supports it. The kernel would have to be programmed to interpret it, though.

I'm hoping Ouya becomes a success. It strikes me as the next Wii. Everyone thought the Wii was going to crash and burn because it didn't have the hardware specs that the 360 and PS3 had. IIRC, the Wii sold almost as many units as both of those consoles combined.

It depends on the focus and the exposure. If you focus on fun games that are easy to follow and can be played for hours on end (with friends). You win. Nintendo has proven it and continues to prove it with their line of cheeky games on their consoles (both home and portable).

The ~100 price point is going to be another thing. Those of people who do not want a tablet, or want a smaller phone, but still want to play these games will probably like Ouya. Those of us who are tired of Android fragmentation will likely want Ouya. As a standard gaming platform, it'll both create fragmentation but solve some of the issues simultaneously. Just like Amazon.

As for FF3 costing $15. Yes, that is outrageous for a game that was released 18 years ago. Would you pay $15 for Super Mario Bros 3? Or the Legend of Zelda? There are other older games that have been ported over and cost in the $3-5 range. Sonic CD comes to mind. If Square keeps up the premium pricing for their classic games, they're going to earn a lot of ire.

Upvote 0
As for FF3 costing $15. Yes, that is outrageous for a game that was released 18 years ago. Would you pay $15 for Super Mario Bros 3? Or the Legend of Zelda? There are other older games that have been ported over and cost in the $3-5 range. Sonic CD comes to mind. If Square keeps up the premium pricing for their classic games, they're going to earn a lot of ire.

It should be noted that FF3 for Android/iOS is not exactly the same game and can't even really be considered a port. Aside from the updated 3d graphics, the story has also been heavily modified from the original. (while it's mostly small details rather than major events, but still, those small details add up).

Upvote 0
The wii sold well because of its unique controller. I don't think ouya's controller is that innovative. If they only emphasize the games then it will be no match for the xbox360+kinect (which I have), let alone xbox720.

I also don't want to get another box just to play more freemium/IAP games. I really want to get away from that on Android and towards more in-depth games. So I don't know what they are thinking with loads of cheap games.

But if this is more than games, if you can check your email and facebook and all sorts of other things on your TV then it will do what other consoles can't.

Upvote 0
The Wii has not been selling well for a couple years now. It sold well because of the of its innovative controller. After the novelty wore off, the sales took a dive.

It couldn't compete with kinect. I got the wii in the hope of getting good sword, knife and boxing games and they just gave us cutesy games. Games like wii sports were never realized to their full potential.

Upvote 0
OUYA not support Google play games as these must be created with OUYA SDK.
On the other hand eSfere fully supports Google play games.
The eSfere Multitouch Pad allows compatibility with any game. And with an app may be used as additional controller any Android or iOS devices.

More info in Indiegogo eSfere project.

Upvote 0
After watching your promo video i see why no one is backing you guys. My biggest concern is that you have one shot of a circuit board and around 10 shots of people sketching vases and other cases. The gameplay video could have easily been staged as well.

The controller sounded great until i realized it was a touchpad and not a display.

You're also not asking for enough money for all of the things you want to do and offer by July. You want to do more than OUYA, but are asking for less then half of what they did.

Your biggest selling point is the inclusion of the PLAY store, but if you don't get developers to change the coding for apps than many will not work well at all with your wonky controller, if at all.

For a minute i was kicking myself for not holding out for this, but upon checking your site this looks like vaporware to me.

Upvote 0
I did not know OUYA did not support Google Play games. Well whats the point in getting it. If I can't play android games already made. That's no fun at all.

Developers will be able to use the same app and optimize it for large screens, controllers and the specific hardware. It sucks to re-buy apps, but since it can be rooted and apps can be side loaded you can easily transfer and test all of your apps for compatibility. My guess is most will look like crap on a tv.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones