• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Over Clocking Kernel for SPH-M930BST

I'm still new to Modding, but in carpentry you measure twice and cut once. It's the same with computers. I paid too much for this phone too screw it up by not being careful.

redownload the injector.zip..place it directly into the root of your sd..do not open this one up..the actual bootimg.zip you will open and push its contents to cwm/backup..restore the bootimg first then flash the injector.zip..flash by install zip from sd..choosr zip from sd..injectot.zip and select yes..let it do its thing ..when finished reboot and you should be good

Reactions: BobZhome
Upvote 0
Hi, I'm kinda new to this stuff..

So I did everything as stated and installed SetCPU, but I'm not sure what to do with it from there. My screen is still messing up so is there something I need to do on setcpu to get it working right? Latest kernel is flashed and everything, just dunno what to do with it.

Please provide a step-wise explanation! Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm kinda new to this stuff..

So I did everything as stated and installed SetCPU, but I'm not sure what to do with it from there. My screen is still messing up so is there something I need to do on setcpu to get it working right? Latest kernel is flashed and everything, just dunno what to do with it.

Please provide a step-wise explanation! Thanks!

the screen will just be fixed..nothing needs adjusted..as soon as you boot you will be good

the overclock is controlled by an app like setcpu to set speeds for when your really jamming on your phone and set speeds for when the phone is not in use or asleep

Upvote 0
download bobs newest booting.zip and his injector.zip

use your pc and put the injector.zip anywhere on your sd card..not clockworkmod folder though

open the boot.img.zip and move the contents that are inside to clockworkmod then backup drop it there

boot recovery go to backup and restore..then restore..then select bobs bootimg folder and let it restore..do not drop the entire zip..just its contents

when the above is done go to install zip from sd..choose zip from sd..select the injector.zip..select yes to install

let it run when its finished reboot..thats it you should be good to go

the overclock setting in setcpu are personal preference..just keep in mind not to run the phone on high settings for to long..i use 1400 high..and like 300 low..might not be 309 exactly but i dont know off hand ..somewhere near 300 lol

Reactions: BobZhome and Loota
Upvote 0
2.1 is a build number in a kernel config file that Bob just forgot to change when he made his new 2.2 kernel. I sent him a pm about it a week ago but he is probably too busy with real life to fix it right now.
Yep, I forgot to change a number in the config...It's not a big deal...It will run fine with a wrong number ;)

I'll fix it with the next release! While looking at the code with last release I saw that the settings for charging your phone off a USB were set very low. I'll be changing that so you can charge your phone faster :p

@Bobzhome I have an issue with the installion. When I download the module injectors and I open the download, there are only two folders Meta Info and System. No zip folder and I can't search for it either. Any advice?
Instruction, pay attention to colors
Code:
[LIST]
[*]Download the [B][COLOR=DarkRed]Boot.img[/COLOR][/B] from the link  below and [B][COLOR=DarkRed]extract the folder[/COLOR][/B] to where your backups are located on you  sdcard(should be in /clockworkmod/backup).
[*]Download the [B][COLOR=Navy]Module Injector[/COLOR][/B] and [B][COLOR=Navy]copy it [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=Navy][COLOR=Black]to the root of your SD card. Do not extract this zip![/COLOR][/COLOR]
[*]Reboot into recovery
[*]Make a backup
[*][B][COLOR=DarkRed]Select backup and restore > Restore > 2012-05-04-BobZ[/COLOR][/B]
[*][B][COLOR=Navy]Navigate to install zip from sdcard > choose zip from sdcard >  BobZhome_SPH-M930BST_Module_Injector_v2.2-signed.zip[/COLOR][/B]
[*]Reboot your device
[*]Once your device reboots normally, download SetCPU from Android Market and set OC according to your choice!
[/LIST]
Hope it helps!

To all, if you don't own SetCPU and don't wish to buy it...No-frills is a free alternative :thumbup:
Bob

Upvote 0
Yeah right after I posted the last about the module injectors, my phone decided to play nice and it actually worked. I can overclock and no more screen issues! Woot Woot! I spent about twenty minutes this morning just dragging apps around on my homescreen. Talk about being easily amused. Once again thanks guys!

Upvote 0
I just tested Shevrom 5.3 with BobZ's kernel and the FC29 baseband.

Everything works (wifi, data, phone calls, market, etc) except for GPS. I do not get any lock, and no GPS indicator appears on my notification bar. This is the same as when I was on the EG29 baseband.

Here is a logcat of me trying to get a gps lock in google maps:
Code:
--------- beginning of /dev/log/system

W/PowerManagerService(  158): Timer 0x3->0x1|0x0

I/PowerManagerService(  158): Ulight 3->1|0

I/PowerManagerService(  158): Light Animator Finished curIntValue=20

--------- beginning of /dev/log/main

I/InputReader(  158): dispatchTouch::touch event's action is 0

I/InputDispatcher(  158): Delivering touch to current input target: action: 0, channel '4074c240 Keyguard (server)'

D/PowerManagerService(  158): reactivateScreenLocksLocked mProxIgnoredBecauseScreenTurnedOff=false

D/PowerManagerService(  158): acquireWakeLock flags=0x1000001a tag=keyguard uid=1000 pid=158   myUID=1000 myPID=158 myTID=196

I/PowerManagerService(  158): Ulight 1->7|0

I/PowerManagerService(  158): Light Animator Finished curIntValue=32

I/LockScreen(  158): ***** onTrigger : UnLock *****

D/PowerManagerService(  158): enableUserActivity true

D/PowerManagerService(  158): releaseWakeLockLocked flags=0x0 tag=keyguard uid=1000 pid=158 myUID=1000 myPID=158 myTID=196

I/PowerManagerService(  158): Ulight 7->3|0

D/Beautiful Widgets(  662): UserPresent from Weather14

D/Beautiful Widgets(  662): Screensaver mode: false

I/InputReader(  158): dispatchTouch::touch event's action is 1

W/InputManagerService(  158): Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@408ce0b0

I/InputDispatcher(  158): Delivering touch to current input target: action: 1, channel '4074c240 Keyguard (server)'

I/InputDispatcher(  158): Delivering touch to current input target: action: 0, channel '407a5218 StatusBar (server)'

I/PowerManagerService(  158): Ulight 3->7|0

I/NotificationService(  158): Notification canceled by : mLedNotification = null mScreenOn = true mInCall = false mNotificationPulseEnabled = true

W/AudioSystem(  121): get_audio_policy_service()

V/AudioPolicyManager(  121): releaseOutput() 1

I/AudioService(  158):  AudioFocus  abandonAudioFocus() from android.media.AudioManager@40774580

I/InputDispatcher(  158): Delivering touch to current input target: action: 1, channel '407a5218 StatusBar (server)'

D/skia    (  228): purging 191K from font cache [26 entries]

I/InputDispatcher(  158): Delivering touch to current input target: action: 0, channel '407c5d78 TrackingView (server)'

I/InputDispatcher(  158): Delivering touch to current input target: action: 1, channel '407c5d78 TrackingView (server)'

I/InputDispatcher(  158): Delivering touch to current input target: action: 0, channel '407c5d78 TrackingView (server)'

I/InputDispatcher(  158): Delivering touch to current input target: action: 1, channel '407c5d78 TrackingView (server)'

I/NotificationService(  158): Notification canceled by : mLedNotification = null mScreenOn = true mInCall = false mNotificationPulseEnabled = true

W/InputManagerService(  158): Window already focused, ignoring focus gain of: com.android.internal.view.IInputMethodClient$Stub$Proxy@40744a30

I/InputDispatcher(  158): Delivering touch to current input target: action: 0, channel '408a8488 com.fede.launcher/com.fede.launcher.Launcher (server)'

I/InputDispatcher(  158): Delivering touch to current input target: action: 1, channel '408a8488 com.fede.launcher/com.fede.launcher.Launcher (server)'

I/ActivityManager(  158): Starting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN cat=[android.intent.category.LAUNCHER] flg=0x10200000 cmp=com.google.android.apps.maps/com.google.android.maps.MapsActivity bnds=[243,338][317,425] } from pid 245

I/GLThread( 1428): onResume tid=23

I/Main thread( 1428): onResume waiting for !mPaused.

I/GLThread( 1428): mPaused is now false tid=23

I/GLThread( 1428): noticed surfaceView surface acquired tid=23

W/EglHelper( 1428): start() tid=23

W/EglHelper( 1428): createContext com.google.android.gles_jni.EGLContextImpl@408bb390 tid=23

I/Main thread( 1428): onWindowResize waiting for render complete from tid=23

W/GLThread( 1428): egl createSurface

W/EglHelper( 1428): createSurface()  tid=23

W/GLThread( 1428): onSurfaceCreated

W/GLThread( 1428): onSurfaceChanged(320, 410)

I/GLThread( 1428): noticing that we want render notification tid=23

W/GLThread( 1428): onSurfaceChanged(320, 410)

I/GLThread( 1428): sending render notification tid=23

D/ViewRoot( 1428): WindowLayout in setView:WM.LayoutParams{(0,0)(320xwrap) gr=#33 ty=1000 fl=#20218 fmt=-2}

E/libsecgps(  158): connectToDaemon: fail in connect() : No such file or directory

E/libsecgps(  158): gps_state_init: failed to connect socket /data/gps/secgpsd.socket

E/GpsLocationProvider(  158): set_position_mode failed in startNavigating()

D/NlpVersionInfo( 1428): com.google.android.location not found

D/NetworkLocationClient( 1428): NONE minProtocolVersion -1 maxProtocolVersion -1 releaseVersion -1

D/NetworkLocationClient( 1428): GMM minProtocolVersion 1 maxProtocolVersion 1 releaseVersion 1105

D/NetworkLocationClient( 1428): binding to Intent { act=com.google.android.location.internal.GMM_NLP }

D/NetworkLocationClient( 1428): onServiceConnected to ComponentInfo{com.google.android.apps.maps/com.google.android.location.internal.server.NetworkLocationService}

I/InputDispatcher(  158): Delivering touch to current input target: action: 0, channel '4092d6e0 com.google.android.apps.maps/com.google.android.maps.MapsActivity (server)'

I/InputDispatcher(  158): Delivering touch to current input target: action: 1, channel '4092d6e0 com.google.android.apps.maps/com.google.android.maps.MapsActivity (server)'

D/ViewRoot( 1428): WindowLayout in setView:WM.LayoutParams{(0,64)(wrapxwrap) gr=#51 ty=2005 fl=#98 fmt=-3 wanim=0x1030004}

D/PowerManagerService(  158): acquireWakeLock flags=0xa tag=KEEP_SCREEN_ON_FLAG uid=1000 pid=158   myUID=1000 myPID=158 myTID=345

D/PowerManagerService(  158): releaseWakeLockLocked flags=0x0 tag=KEEP_SCREEN_ON_FLAG uid=1000 pid=158 myUID=1000 myPID=158 myTID=194

W/PowerManagerService(  158): Timer 0x7->0x3|0x0

I/PowerManagerService(  158): Ulight 7->3|0

D/ViewRoot( 1428): WindowLayout in setView:WM.LayoutParams{(0,64)(wrapxwrap) gr=#51 ty=2005 fl=#98 fmt=-3 wanim=0x1030004}

D/PowerManagerService(  158): acquireWakeLock flags=0xa tag=KEEP_SCREEN_ON_FLAG uid=1000 pid=158   myUID=1000 myPID=158 myTID=164

D/PowerManagerService(  158): releaseWakeLockLocked flags=0x0 tag=KEEP_SCREEN_ON_FLAG uid=1000 pid=158 myUID=1000 myPID=158 myTID=194

D/InputReader(  158): Input event: value=1

D/InputReader(  158): Input event: value=0

I/ActivityManager(  158): Starting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN cat=[android.intent.category.HOME] flg=0x10200000 cmp=com.fede.launcher/.Launcher } from pid 158

I/GLThread( 1428): onPause tid=23

I/Main thread( 1428): onPause waiting for mPaused.

I/GLThread( 1428): mPaused is now true tid=23

I/GLThread( 1428): releasing EGL surface because paused tid=23

W/EglHelper( 1428): destroySurface()  tid=23

W/EglHelper( 1428): finish() tid=23

I/GLThread( 1428): releasing EGL context because paused tid=23

I/GLThread( 1428): noticed surfaceView surface lost tid=23

I cleared the log before my test. When the log starts, GPS is already enabled and google maps was in the background. After I started logcat, I opened google maps and tapped on the "find me" button. I waited for it to say "waiting for location" and "location temporarily unavailable", then waited a few seconds and stopped logcat.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can do any more testing.

Upvote 0
Is this 2.2 without the 2.3.6 update? Or is this a wifi and GPS fixed kernal based on the 2.3.6 update that works correctly? I would Like to be able to OC my Ultra. I am stock with CWM right now.

This is the latest kernel edited from the 2.3.6 GB update. Not sure if it will fix the 2.3.6 wifi problem but you can try. Remember after you restore the kernel flash the wifi fix found in the thread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones