1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Over priced phones

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Paul Cooper, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Paul Cooper

Paul Cooper Lurker

With the Covid-19 epidemic only just starting in the US, a vaccine still a year + away and millions out of work.
    I'm guessing Galaxy phones are due for a "major" reduction in price.
    What are your collective thoughts?
    Buy now at MSRP or wait till Samsung starts feeling the pinch and gets real on their pricing?

mikedt and ocnbrze like this.
  2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

i would hold out if you can and wait to see how the economy picks up. if this pandemic keeps going, my guess is that in a few months things will start to turn around. how will that affect pricing? who knows, but it can't hurt.

MrJavi, dontpanicbobby and mikedt like this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

If Apple were to reduce iPhone prices, maybe Samsung and others will follow?

MrJavi, dontpanicbobby and ocnbrze like this.
  4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

The main reason the prices are so high is that people are buying fewer phones, so they raise prices to compensate. So it's far from obvious that they will respond the way you hope.

MrJavi and ocnbrze like this.
  5. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

Plus I believe I heard overall Samsung had a good first quarter. But I do think you will hear some killer deals coming out.

MrJavi likes this.
  6. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

I had a phone that cost a grand but Microsoft paid for most of it.
    Damn shame they don't make phones anymore.

MrJavi likes this.
  7. WeeWilly

WeeWilly Android Enthusiast

Samsung's liberal trade-in policy helps to offset the cost of their phones. For example, I purchased an S20+ 5G 128GB from Samsung for $1,199, but they gave me a trade allowance of $600 for a phone that cost me $400, so my net cost for the S20+ was $999 (plus tax). Samsung also gave me a $150 credit which I used to buy a couple of cases and a 45W charger. If Samsung had not offered the trade allowance, I would have had to pay the full $1,199 for the S20+, and then sell the old phone on Swappa. After PayPal fees and shipping costs, I'm sure I would have received less than I paid for the old phone, far less than the $600 I got from Samsung.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  8. maire5

maire5 Well-Known Member

I just wait until a phone gets good and old and deeply discounted before I consider buying it. Sure I don’t get the latest and greatest, but I don’t feel quite as ripped off.

ocnbrze likes this.
  9. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

Not a bad idea. A year or more from now the s20 phones will still be awesome. And MUCH cheaper.

10. Martinka

Martinka Lurker

Now it's definitely better not to buy a new smartphone, especially one as expensive as the Galaxy S20 Plus or Ultra. I think soon prices will fall very much!

NightAngel79 likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus release date was 6 March. Features and Specs include a 6.7" inch screen, 64MP camera, 12GB RAM, Exynos 990 or Snapdragon 865 processor, and 4500mAh battery.

6 March
Release Date
Reviews