1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Overactive phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by markdoc, Sep 23, 2014.

1. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

I know that swiping up from any of the navigation keys opens Google Search. However, my phone seems to be hyper. Just touching on the "Back key" for more than a millisecond causes my default browser to open 2 or 3 instances of Google Search. The same with the "Recent App" key. The "Home" acts as it should. Even the keyboard goes crazy like it has a mind of it's own. This happens with both my added keyboard and the stock keyboard. Any ideas on what is happening and/or how to stop it would be appreciated.

Thank's in advance,

markdoc

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Paul25

Paul25 Well-Known Member

Have you tried a factory reset? Backup your apps first mind and anything else you may need. try it then before you install any apps. If it still mis behaves i would take it back to the point of sale

3. edklloyd

edklloyd Newbie

Two things came to mind. Is this happening when you are charging it? I know certain smartphones of mine act really weird if you are using a non oem charger. Also have you tried to calibrate it?

4. mruno

mruno Android Expert

or you can avoid the reset and see if the problem happens in Safe Mode. If it does not occur in safe mode, then it is a rogue app.

5. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

First, thank you all for your suggestions. Here's where I am now;
    1. I hesitate to do a factory reset because I just got the phone. As soon as I activated it, it got reset 3 or 4 times will it upgraded to Android 4.4.3. I never had a chance to run it on 4.4.2.
    2. Charging had nothing to do with it, so I thought. I never considered that until your suggestion. So I checked it out and found that it didn't effect my phone at all.
    3. Finally, I put the phone in safe mode. It still went crazy, which I believe means it isn't a rogue app. So I'm back to square one and try to call Verizon. I won't bother with HTC, because I've found Verizon support to be much more helpful. I still will listen to any ideas from you guys.

UPDATE: I called Verizon support and spoke with a gentleman named Chris. I told him the problem I was having and the troubleshooting I had tried. He said to try removing the SD card and see what happens. I did and viol

6. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

2nd Update:
    Bad news. The phone started up again. This time I took out the SD card and left it out. It didn't help. I think my phone is possessed. Anyone know a good Exorcist? :eek:

7. edklloyd

edklloyd Newbie

this may be totally off, but one thing that was happening with mine thinking it was possessed. It was how I was holding the phone believe it or not. the phone is so thin, my had was cupping too far around the phone and touching the edges of the screen setting launching apps, moving apps and making it do really weird things. simply moving the phone up (my hand lower on the phone) solved the problem instantly. this is especially present when not using a case and it is so slim.

8. vosg

vosg Android Expert

Are you using a screen protector?

9. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

Here is the final chapter. I just got a brand new HTC One M8 from Verizon about an hour ago. The problem was a combination of a bad phone and incompatible or bad SD card. I purchased a Samsung 64 GB EVO SDXC class 10 card. It causes the phone to go crazy.
    Can anyone tell me what SD cards they're using. I will be very appreciative.
    TIA,
    Markdoc

10. mruno

mruno Android Expert

Did you format the sd card within Android or did you with your computer? I'm using a 32gb Kingston.

11. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

12. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

I think I just got the answer and I have to give props to edklloyd. I was typing things on the new phone and off it went. I tap delete and it entered 8 letters. I couldn't believe it. Then I realized I was charging the phone. I unplugged it and it was fine. Plugged it back in and off it went again. The reason I didn't think edklloyd was correct was that I only have HTC chargers that came with other HTC phones. Trying different combinations, I found a plug and cord that, so far, is working ok. I can only hope it keeps working.

13. mruno

mruno Android Expert

14. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

Thanks for all the suggestions. They definitely help.
    Ok, here is the latest. Everything has been going fine with the newest HTC plug and cord combo. I did try another cord, just to check, and the phone was "possessed" with the different cord. So it is definitely the cord. I just put the SD card in and the phone went crazy. I didn't touch the keyboard and it wasn't plugged in but the keyboard starting clicking and typing and I just starred in disbelief. If I didn't know better, I would swear the phone had a mind of it's own. So I will try another SD card and see what happens. As it stands now, I believe it is both the charging setup and the SD card.

15. olbriar

olbriar  

The same problem across two phones only has the charging cable and SD card in common. They have to be the culprit. I would be inclined to point a finger at the SD card. I hope you eliminate the problem.

16. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

I just checked the chargers that I have. By charger I mean the black plastic part that plugs into the wall on one side and a USB on the other. I have 3 different models; 2 smaller ones that look the same and a larger one. The smaller ones have the same specs but different model numbers. The larger one has different specs and is the one that came with the M8. The other 2 must have come with the DNA Droid and the Thunderbolt that I used previously. I'm surprised that the DNA and the M8 use different chargers. The smaller ones output 1 amp while the large one outputs 1.5 amps. I guess that could be the reason for my phones "possesion". The other reason, the SD card, could be the type of card. I purchased a Class 10, SDXC. I read in another forum that someone called HTC and asked which card to use. They were told to use a class 2 card. Obviously, the tech at HTC didn't know what they were talking about. HTC told me that they didn't know of any issue with SD cards. I'm going to check with Verizon, then order an SDHC card and see what happens.

17. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

Final report:
    My problems were caused by 2 different issues;
    1) The chargers from my HTC DNA Droid and HTC Thunderbolt, which output 1 amp were not compatible with my HTC One M8. The charger that came with my M8 output 1.5 amps and is needed if I want to use phone while charging.
    2) The 64 GB SDXC Samsung SD card is not compatible with my M8. When I changed it to a San Disk 32 GB SDHC card, which is slightly slower, my phone worked fine.

In summary, use a 1.5 amp HTC charger for the M8, and use an SDHC SD card in your phone.

markdoc

olbriar likes this.
  18. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

I use 1 amp chargers (several, HTC and generic from monoprice.com) and an sdxc SanDisk 64 GB card (class 10) without those issues on mine.

19. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

I could explain the SD card by saying that mine is a Samsung and yours is a San Disk, even though I'm not sure if I believe it. The chargers are beyond comprehension. I guess what I've always said is true; if it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.
    Seriously, why would 2 of my ; have these issues and yours doesn't. I can't imagine what differences there could be. Especially since it happened in "Safe" mode, which should exclude a rogue app. I surrender and will leave it to the more intelligent people to figure out. It's way beyond my understanding.
    Thanks to all who have tried to help. It was greatly appreciated.
    markdoc

EarlyMon likes this.
  20. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Have you tried using the old chargers since changing your card out? I've seen SanDisk cards not work with Samsung phones, so maybe it's that, I don't know. But otherwise, electrons are all the same, having a few less ought not make your phone crazy.

Btw - you can kill or modify that whole swipe feature. Check out "Swipeup Utility"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.AdrianCampos.swipeuputility

If you don't need the swipe-up features, you can use that to just turn it off - or change it up some.

markdoc likes this.
  21. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

I did try the 1 amp HTC charger without any SD card, with a 64 GB SDSX Samsung card and a 32 GB San Disk SDHX card. The phone acted crazy in each case. The phone also acted crazy with the 1.5 amp charger and the 64 GB SDSX Samsung card. I am writing this while charging with the 1.5 amp HTC charger and the 32 GB SDHX Samsung card. All seems to be well. Why did you mention the swipe utility?

markdoc

22. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Because I thought that it might be related to something with the swipe-up from navbar features. Just guessing.

23. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

Why not? The way my phones act up, anything is possible! ;)

24. kalaster

kalaster Android Enthusiast

I thought I'd contribute to this thread. I just got my new m8 yesterday, and I have the same issues with thre twitchyness. Keyboard, back button, ect. Also when browsing the web, I notice that the ads seem to open themselves up on there own, they either bring me to a new page or open the play store. It's rather infuriating. I do not have an SD card installed, I use the stock charging cable and wall adapter.

EarlyMon likes this.
  25. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

I see from your profile that you're on Verizon, is that still true?

If so, both you and the OP are.

So, I guess I wonder if it's either a weird batch that went out to Verizon (so the OP's swap to another didn't help) or something in the overall Verizon software configuration (which, for no rational reason beyond a hunch is what I really suspect now).

Try the app I mentioned earlier - if it doesn't help or you don't like it, you can uninstall it, it's harmless. If the button problems go away, it's software.

By the same logic, try the free version of the Nova launcher - same deal as above - either or both would be fair enough software changes to tell if it's just software.

Meanwhile, if you could both share your version numbers that you're running, that might help give some clues also.

If it's just software, you may see it disappear on an update, or you could root and swap out your system software for something with less carrier junk.

Btw - try something besides the stock browser. I like Dolphin, for example. The browser behavior you're getting would make me crazy. :(

HTC One M8 Forum

The HTC One M8 release date was March 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 4MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2600mAh battery.

March 2014
Release Date
Reviews