• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Overall good....couple of bad things

brykins

Android Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2009
Peterborough, UK
Having gone from "standard" phones through Palm, Windows Mobile, Blackberry and iPhone, I now find myself with a personal Blackberry and a work issued HTC Magic, and contemplating the Hero for my upgrade in Feb. Overall.....very pleased with Android but:

(a) there MUST be quick development on the applications - my personal phone is there as a time killer and entertainment device and at the moment, iPhone wins hands-down. Eg: iPhone and Blackberry Facebook apps are an order of magnitude better than Android's. Much the same with Twitter clients I have found.

(b) email handling - I am not (at the moment) using Gmail but have a POP3 account set up in the Email client. No way to select a numer of emails to delete? No way to empty the trash?

(c) Main "icon" screen - the one you get when you pull up the tab. No way to re-organise this? No way to "hide" unused shortcuts?

(d) Homescreens - useful, but get cluttered. Found the option to put folders on there.....again, no way to re-orger the shortcuts?

(e) Calendar app - yet again, ANOTHER mobile calendar app with that same, useless, week view. In these days of high-resolution screens, why can't we see more week views that show the seven days, with the apointments in, in a grid? I used to have this in Agendus on my PalmOS phones and makes a week view useful. And I want to use my week view....it's the one that looks like a page of a diary.

(f) Yet again, another phone that thinks it's clever by searching for all your mp3's and putting them all in your music player. I want to PUT THEM IN ONE FOLDER of my choosing, so that I can put audio books somewhere else and NOT have to hear a chapter of a book in the middle of my random selection. Not even looked at whether it finds all .jpg files and shows them all in one big gallery.

These sound like moans and they are a bit as I really was expecting something uber-special. Overall though, I am happy with the Android phone but if there's any suggestions on any of the above then please, please let me know!

d) for the home screens, you can press and gold the icon, a trash bin pops up below, you can trash it from homescreen and it's still available in the c) main icon screen. This press and hold also allows you to move the icons around.

f) after a few attempts at using the built in player, gave up.
have dowloaded meridian, rockon and one other (forgot) found meridian the best, but they each have different attributes, try and see which works. Using meridian with Astro (file and folder organiser/searcher) i find the phone much better suited for music listening

Hope that helps a little, sorry can't help with the other points raised.
Currently searching for a better calender app myself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones