1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Overclcoking and Best Method for It

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ndh777, May 30, 2011.

1. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert
    None

I've heard about overclocking and I'd like to do it. But I'd like to know the best method for doing it. Best app to use? I post this in the Evo section because I've noticed that most of the apps on the Market are for Droids and not any other Android device.

Advertisement

2. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Male
    Setcpu is the method that most everyone here uses, if you are still on the stock kernel you are going to need to flash a new one or you will not be able to overclock (if you tell me the ROM you run I could recommend a few). Also you are going to want to start with a low overclock and progressively go higher to make sure your phone is stable at the new speed, almost all can handle 1152 so start there. Also make sure you have "set on boot" turned off incase something does go wrong.

ndh777 likes this.
  3. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert
    None

Wow...thank you! I am currently running Koni's Elite Series III

4. uminchu

uminchu Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 14, 2009
    First, a stock Sprint kernel won't support overclocking. Some ROMs come with a kernel that does, some don't, so you need to find about yours. If it's not supported, you'll have find a kernel that works with your ROM and supports overclocking.

There are many choices out there, and no simple answers. Kernels are not all 1s and 0s or a black and white thing; different Evos respond differently to the exact same kernel. There are often multiple options for the same kernel, such as HAVS/no HAVS, SBC, more SBC, etc. You sir, have a lot of reading and testing to do. For Sense ROMs, I like (or maybe I should say, my Evo likes) Netarchy kernels. A lot of people like Kingx, and that's just for starters. I think the most popular for CM ROMs and its variants are Snap, Tiamat, and Zen variants. Currently, Tiamat is working very well for me. Here's link to a few of the kernels out there:
    HTC Supersonic/Kernels - XDA-Developers

The two most popular overclocking apps that I see are SetCPU and Overclock Widget, both available in the market. OCW is free, but very basic. SetCPU costs $2, and gives you a lot of control over how you want things to work for various scenarios concerning charge level and/or temp. Personally, I like SetCPU, it's definitely worth the two bucks to me, YMMV.

5. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Male
    Try netarchy toastmod kernel. In my opinion it is the best Sense kernel I would use the nosbc more HAVS kernel and if it makes your phone unstable try the less HAVS version.

Tags: