• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root overclock..excess or needed

twistedlim

Android Expert
Jun 9, 2010
I have been playing around with differnent kernels and have been trying to find the perfect match (if there is one). I have settled on chevys 800lv. It runs fast and smooth at 800 and idling down to 125 when the screen is off has worked out fine. Today I unhooked at 6 am and as of right now (7:20PM)I am at 80 percent with low use (couple of calls, bit of interent browsing and checking email).
I have run faster kernels up to 1100 and have gotten quadrant scores in the 1500s but to tell you the truth I don't notice the phone running any faster or smoother at 1100 v. 800.
Can someone explain the benifit of running at 1100 and what the quadrant scores mean in real life? I thought it would make the internet browser run faster but it seems the same, or if there is a difference it is not perceivable.
On another note I have to say we are lucky to have people developing all these roms and kernels and have made donations to those I have used...much appreciated. I can't imagine the time these folks put into making these add ons to our phones.

i would say that if you cant tell the difference then stay at 800mhz as this will give you extended battery life. some users just dont need the speed. if you do want to see the difference in speed, or think you may need it, for one you could press the phone dialer and notice the how much quicker a one gig kernal brings the app up. it will also load web pages quicker but it will not increase your 3g speeds.
now all this said if you want to see real speed increases, load the rom liquid frozen yogurt and one of slayhers kernals....WOW! :)

Reactions: twistedlim
Upvote 0
i would say that if you cant tell the difference then stay at 800mhz as this will give you extended battery life. some users just dont need the speed. if you do want to see the difference in speed, or think you may need it, for one you could press the phone dialer and notice the how much quicker a one gig kernal brings the app up. it will also load web pages quicker but it will not increase your 3g speeds.
now all this said if you want to see real speed increases, load the rom liquid frozen yogurt and one of slayhers kernals....WOW! :)

Thank for the response. By going to LFY will I notice an increase in internet browser speed? This is really where I would like to see a differnce. I honestly cannot tell a differnce in browser speed with the 800 v. 1100 kernel using FRG22.
Also do you have to download v 1.2 of LFY before you dowload the 1.4 patch?

Thanks,

Rich

Upvote 0

I just tried out the slahyer 1000uv and it flat out smokes! It works faster on interactive 1000/400 than any other 1000 kernel on performance. I also tried out LFY but it did not agree with my phone. The internest browser is noticably faster. Thanks for the tip on the Slahyer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones