• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Overclock widget (does it work?)

Ok, I pulled the trigger and went through with the SetCPU procedure. Followed the directions and tested a few things. I'm not seeing much of an improvement in speed, although the screen rotation seems to happen MUCH MUCH MUCH quicker now, especially with the keyboard opened.

I was playing around with my friend's Droid yesterday (she has no idea how to use it, so I'm always trying to "Fix" her problems... which are usually just laziness) and was a little jealous of how fast the screen rotates and things load. With SetCPU, it seems to have narrowed the gap on the screen rotating. The apps loading maybe is tougher to notice, as there are limits to how much that can be sped up.

Upvote 0
As of this writing, my SetCPU widget states 0000 max and 0000 min. And I don't notice much increase after installing it, other than while typing, there seems to be less lag. I'm going to leave it installed to see if it makes a difference on battery. I think I had the device optimized pretty well and running about as fast as it can before Gumbo's kernal and setcpu came along.

Upvote 0
I installed both GK-031 and SETCPU and notice a drastic difference. Picked up my wife's Hero and did side-by-side testing just to make sure it wasn't all in my head and everything is increasingly faster on my Hero. Testing throughout the day today to see how the battery reacts. Will post back later.

Actually, *I'm* your wife's Hero.

J/K...LOL...hahaha...I've been dying to use that one for a while now...sorry!

Upvote 0
everyone needs to understand for the most part in order to use SETCPU

Yes you need the app to install but and I mean BUT

you have most likely be rooted (like i am on original Droid )

and you need to install a KERNAL ZIP FILE of your favorite custom rom for example

you get the file like for me i use Peter Alfonso

Stock Rooted Gingerbread (Android 2.3.3) ROM Update GPA13

i HAVE MY CPU overclocked to 600 - 850 mhz seems good place from the stock 550 mhz on Droid

and example Peter provides his own over clocking Kernals as in zip file

www.peteralfonso.com/

www.peteralfonso.com/2011/02/download-droid-lowvoltage-kernels-v01.html

i used Rom Manager to install the custom kernal zip file

1.25GHz_LV_V0.1.zip

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones