• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Overclocking Ally

Im pretty sure im running the stock rom. i tried flashing velocity from rom manager but it didnt work.. other than that, the only thing that has worked was when i flashed the new kernel from this thread.

You can pull the rom out of velocity, Just take the boot.img out and put it in zip called update.zip. I dont think you need the meta folder

Upvote 0
You can pull the rom out of velocity, Just take the boot.img out and put it in zip called update.zip. I dont think you need the meta folder
The meta folder is what tells the phone what to do with the update file and how to install it. You would need it.

And why not just apply Velocity and the apply the kernel right over it?

Upvote 0
has anyone hit over 100 degrees f. well i did, and i was only on standard 600 mhz. something that i should be worried about

thats the battery temp. velocity ROM for some reason at the moment doesn't have access to the CPU temp sensor. I could be wrong, but all temp monitors have said that the current ROM is not supported.

and to answer your question, I don't think that the battery being at or slightly above 100 F is a problem... my phone is usually at around 96.8 F if i have been constantly using it. Which I have all day, so I must have gotten a lucky die.

Upvote 0
thats the battery temp. velocity ROM for some reason at the moment doesn't have access to the CPU temp sensor. I could be wrong, but all temp monitors have said that the current ROM is not supported.

and to answer your question, I don't think that the battery being at or slightly above 100 F is a problem... my phone is usually at around 96.8 F if i have been constantly using it. Which I have all day, so I must have gotten a lucky die.

thanks bro, just wanted to make sure.

Upvote 0
Good job on overclock. It works drellisdee. Thanks. Please check out the Android-WiFi-tether page. Issue 559 - android-wifi-tether - LG Ally code support update needed. - Project Hosting on Google Code

Your the best king drellisdee.

I have had amazing results using Barnacle, IMO it is better than any other wifi sharing program atm. Some people may have better luck using others, but I am able to share my connection with multiple devices at 3G speeds, which is great when the stupid comcast keeps going out.

Upvote 0
Running at max stable but keeping is in 760's because there is no difference in speed at all between max and 768mhz, i guess ally's max is 768mhz anything above that doesn't show any better results so the system cant see use the processor at any faster rate.

this is in beta still which means some more tweaking we should able to run it at 768mhz (i hope) and i could't tell a diff between 768 and 787 it is only a 19mhz diff so i guess u really cant tell?

Upvote 0
No one else has repoerted connection issues.

I have flashed the kernel 4 times and have had issues using the browser every time. I of course did all of the obvious stuff like cleared cache and even my history. Everytime I restore the browser works flawlessly. I wish there was a way to give you an error report but it only seems to be effecting me browsing on 3g.

Upvote 0
Unrelated to my previous post...

If you get a message from SetCPU complaining about trouble detecting the cpu speeds, place the attached setcpu.txt file in /sdcard/

Then, in SetCPU, press the menu button, then Device Selection, then Show Other Frequency Sets, scroll to the bottom and select Custom Frequencies...

It should load the txt and after that there will be no problems auto detecting the speeds.

Edit: I also recommend using "ondemand" scaling instead of "performance". ondemand is much kinder to your CPU, and your phone will still go to 787 when needed. I have noticed a significant drop in CPU temp since changing to ondemand. (My min speed is 245 btw)

Attachments

• setcpu.txt
    89 bytes · Views: 166
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones