1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Overclocking ?? Hmm.?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pacedrum69, Jun 10, 2010.

1. dragg5inbody

dragg5inbody Member

"T2noob" in my other thread told me i need to flash an overclock update zip file and then it will allow me to go as high as into the 8s...hopefully this works and i can go up to 710.

Advertisement

2. emunny

emunny Member

for me i have my main on 768 max 710 min and i got my speeds lowered for charging, screen off and temp im using eris lightning bolt2.8 seems to run fine phone never gets hot never freezes or lags so it just depends on your rom and what your profiles are set at my mflops are over 4 every time sometimes 5

3. dragg5inbody

dragg5inbody Member

under main it is set to 710400 and min is 480000. profiles i have battery at 710 max 528min...
    charging/full 710max 528 min....temp 710max 528 min/ 39.2 degrees...Screen off is at 480 max 245 min...Im not really sure if these are how they whould be...this is just what i guessed they should be. Right now its stock rom just overclocked...Anyone think i should change anything?

4. Guido

Guido Newbie

so if I underclock, will my battery last longer?

5. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

That's been my experience. Of course, your other settings (sync, refresh, haptic feedback, etc), choice of ROM, how you use your phone will also greatly affect your battery life. But the general idea is that setting a sleep/standby profile at say 480 Max, 245 Min will underclock your device when you are not using it (i.e., whilst sleeping).

Remember to not enable "set-on-boot" until you sure your phone is stable. Also, be sure to set a failsafe / temp. profile so your phone doesn't melt. :eek: :D

6. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Android Expert

One thing to be aware of is setting too much of a "gap" between the min and max speeds appears to be an extreme battery drainer. This applies to the various profiles too. Settings like 768/19, for example, were going to drain my battery in a matter of 3-4 hours (with normal use). Allowing the phone to sleep (at 19mhz) then shooting up to 768mhz when I awoke it was killing the battery.

7. dragg5inbody

dragg5inbody Member

Bump...

8. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Android Expert

These are my profiles for your reference

Main: 787 max 528 min

Temp > 43.0 C: 480 max 245 min
    Screen Off: 604 max 480 min
    Charging/Full: 604 mac 480 min

I set my Screen off and Charging/Full profiles to 604 max 480 min so the screen will turn on faster when I get a call. Also, don't set your max and min far apart, they should only be about 200MHz apart so you can save battery.

scary alien likes this.
  9. shaggylouie

shaggylouie Well-Known Member

How necessary is it to keep max and min's 200MHz apart? I've been running a difference of at least 400 MHz and have not seen any problems with the battery. Is this to save the battery life during the day or is it to save the battery in the long run?

10. phositadc

phositadc Well-Known Member

I'm no technical expert, but I don't think it is necessary at all. Here's why: the HTC Incredible comes with a factory preset governor that lets the clockspeed drop to 245mhz when it is not in use. 1 ghz is top speed. So, the factory present is a 750 mhz difference between max and min.

So to say that an Eris works best with a max 200 mhz difference seems questionable to me.

11. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Android Expert

Well when I had my Eris profiles running at 710 max 245 min, my Eris was slow. It took long for the screen to turn on when I get a call and it lagged when I woke it up.

12. iAndroiid

iAndroiid Android Enthusiast

i just did this for my evil eris 3.0 running a2sd not that it matters up but anyways what did you set your priority to? default is 50. also for governor did you set temp, screen off, charging/full all to ondemand?

thanks

13. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Android Expert

Everything is on ondemand.

Priority
    Temp > 43.0 C: 100
    Screen Off: 95
    Charging/Full: 90

14. iAndroiid

ok, perfect. i also have my main at 768max/528min and scaling is ondemand. or should it be performance? also can i click the set on boot? or not yet? otherwise every time i boot i think it goes back to default for the main.

15. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Android Expert

Performance means it will run at 768MHz all the time. I suggest using ondemand because it will be at 528MHz when your phone is doing nothing thus saving battery. Only check set on boot if you are sure 768MHz doesn't freeze your phone.

16. iAndroiid

gotcha do you run a2sd or how much internal space do you have? i have 137mb free and wondering if i clear cache or w.e. it it is or make sure app's move to sd if it will free more space? i was at like 80 or something i think or maybe it was 60 then i jumped to like 145mb after getting a2sd working. i'm assuming the more internal memory there is the smoother things go + over clocking with the settings i'm on right now basically the same as yours.

17. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Android Expert

Yes I'm running Apps2SD and usually have 145MB of free internal storage. If it gets around 135MB, I clear my cache because I have OCD like that. :D Your phone should run more smoothly with Apps2SD and overclocking. If you get a Class 6 SD card, it should be a little faster.

18. iAndroiid

gotcha, how do i clear the cache? guide or link of commands. thank you man!

19. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Android Expert

The free and slow way is to go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Menu > Sort by Size> Click on app > Clear cache

There are lots of free and paid cache cleaners on the market. I use Quick App Clean Cache, it's about $.69

20. iAndroiid

gotcha, what about clear data option? lol

21. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Android Expert

Oh no, only do that if you to erase everything you did in that app.

22. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Android Expert

You're saying that a Class 6 SD card is faster than the phone's internal memory ?

23. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Android Expert

No, if you get a Class 6 SD, it will be a little faster at running Apps2SD than the stock Class 2 SD.

24. iAndroiid

i thought someone did bench mark tests of a class 6 vs the normal class 2 sd card and he said it was the same and the phone didn't become faster from a class 6 at all. i believe that was before root though.

HTC Droid Eris Forum

The HTC Droid Eris release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7600 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews