• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Overclocking? Idiots guide out there?

Ok so my phone is really not working correctly with this and I want to go back to factory. So I did a full wipe and format the SD card. The phone is fine then. But when I sync my gmail with the phone to get my contacts back, it brings down all the apps and settings too which kicks in the 1200mhz over clock and locks up the phone almost instantly. The setcpu app dissapeared and the phone will not stay up long enough to go back into the market to redownload it. So my question is HOW can I reload the android software from scratch so the kernel for the overclock is not there anymore, and also how can I delete the backup of my apps and settings from my gmail account, but not the contacts? I have wiped it twice, but this only works until it syncs with google and cranks up the speed again. I just want it to factory, and I still want to sync with google. Is there any way to reload the software from scratch on these like on the iphone or bb? Or maybe install another ROM over this one that will kill that overclock kernel?

Upvote 0
If you don't have setCPU how do you know the phone is clocked back at 1200mhz? Something doesn't sound right. I don't think there's anything saved to your Google account that would have anything to do with clock settings.

Go here and download the 600mhz kernel P3Droid Kernels

rename it update.zip, put in the root of your sdcard and then reboot into recovery and apply the update.zip

Upvote 0
Weird. I'm guessing that is saved somewhere in the kernal area of the phone and probably has nothing to do with syncing to Google. Try the 600mhz kernal though.
Yeah Im sure its saved in the phone software itself. Thats why I want to reload the software from scratch. Not just run a wipe or restore. Its just restores the software thats already on the phone and removes the user data. I want to start from a blank phone and load the android 2.1. Anyone know how to do this?

Upvote 0
You could download ROM Manager from the market. It has a stock 2.0.1 image and a rooted 2.1 image. If you want to go back to unrooted just use the 2.0.1 image and then follow this: http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/58133-how-force-motorola-droid-2-1-ota-update-ese81.html

I still think using the 600mhz kernal would fix your problem if it's just a matter of clockspeed.

You could also do http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/47349-now-you-can-live-without-fear-bricking.html but that seems unnecessary.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones