• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Overclocking / MFLOPS performance.

With all this overclocking, how are peoples battery life? I've taken a dramatic hit. I should set profiles when for times when I need it quick and other times when I don't.

There isn't a one-size fits all answer to this question, because it depends on what people configure in their profiles and advanced settings.

I think I have noticed a more rapid decline in battery reserve, but that is entirely to be expected.

A good analogy is a water clock - it will use about the same amount of water "per tick". So, you can reduce the number of times you need to refill the water tank (charge the battery) in a day - if you are willing to have fewer ticks of the clock per day. Same deal for power usage by the application processor in the Eris - want it to run fast? That will cost you.

I have my profiles set up to ratchet down the CPU in steps as the battery level drops. Also, I have most of the profiles set to X Mhz / 19 Mhz and haven't noticed any troubles that are mentioned above.

The important thing is to realize, OC'ing isn't some form of magic which exempts you from basic physics somehow - if on average your Eris is clocked faster, then on average it will drain the battery faster. There's really no way of getting around that.

eu1

Upvote 0
With all this overclocking, how are peoples battery life? I've taken a dramatic hit. I should set profiles when for times when I need it quick and other times when I don't.

I had been using two roms with great battery life. I'm now on a third ROM that seems to drain the battery as fast then I can blink. So far OC hasn't been the issue with my Eris.

Upvote 0
I understand that for computers when you OC, you would need to increase the voltage to stabilize the speed increase. Does setCPU automatically increases my power input when I OC? If so then it makes sense. I can see an OC increase not affecting battery life but I would assume there will be stabilization issues. I'm defaulting to 768/19. I assume when i have the screen off it drops to 19 and when I got my screen on and doing whatever it jumps to 768.

Upvote 0
This is probably a good thread to ask this - what kind of profiles are you guys using in SetCPU? I'm using EvilEris 2.0.1 now - I have it set to 245 for sleep, and to slow down when the temperature goes below 45, and to go down to 480 when the battery is below 50%.

It's definitely noticably faster but the battery life SUCKS now, and I was surprised because after rooting and upgrading to Aloysius the battery life was so much better than stock 1.5. And when I disable the overclocking on EvilEris I'm back to getting great battery life.

Am I missing something here? Most comments on the board said that overclocking doesn't effect the battery much if you have profiles set up right...

Upvote 0
I understand that for computers when you OC, you would need to increase the voltage to stabilize the speed increase. Does setCPU automatically increases my power input when I OC? If so then it makes sense. I can see an OC increase not affecting battery life but I would assume there will be stabilization issues. I'm defaulting to 768/19. I assume when i have the screen off it drops to 19 and when I got my screen on and doing whatever it jumps to 768.

You're phone never goes below 245mhz, no matter how low you have it set. You can check the BOGOMIPS using "cat /proc/cpuinfo" in adb shell while the phone is asleep. If it actually did ever go down to 19hz, it wouldnt ever turn the screen on, rendering your phone useless. I forced it to 160/160 once, and it took a solid MINUTE for the screen to come back and be able to get into setcpu to raise the power.

Just an FYI ;)

Upvote 0
You're phone never goes below 245mhz, no matter how low you have it set. You can check the BOGOMIPS using "cat /proc/cpuinfo" in adb shell while the phone is asleep. If it actually did ever go down to 19hz, it wouldnt ever turn the screen on, rendering your phone useless. I forced it to 160/160 once, and it took a solid MINUTE for the screen to come back and be able to get into setcpu to raise the power.

Just an FYI ;)

1) Default profile 710/19, Turn off Charging profile, Set Sleep/Stdby to 160/19; phone awake

# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep Bogo
BogoMIPS : 707.65

2) Same profiles, manually sleep phone with power button

BogoMIPS : 159.47

3) Hit power button to awake from it's sleep

BogoMIPS : 707.65

The first time I tried this, I saw 19.13 BogoMIPS after I hit the power button to wake the phone in step 3 (!)... the phone was very sluggish, and took maybe 10 seconds to paint the lockscreen - during which time I was continuing to see 19.13. Strange, right? (I'm using Ivanmj Official_1.0_OC). But, I was able to unlock the screen even though that command sequence was reporting only 19.13. Eventually, it got on its' feet and returned back to 707.65.

I think there is a small risk of misinterpretation using this method to determine what the phone is doing - after all, the goal of battery conservation is to make the phone appear as snappy as possible when it is "doing something". So, it all depends on how "doing something" is defined from the kernel's perspective (which will include the "advanced settings" of SetCPU, if used)

For instance, when you type the commands into the adb shell, the shell process on the phone "wakes up", parses your command, forks a new process, loads an executable, searches across the /system filesystem for dynamic libraries, loads those files, etc etc etc... all of which happens before the contents of /proc/cpuinfo are ever examined.

That means it is possible that the very act of trying to observe the "idle" system triggers the kernel to ratchet up the CPU to the max rate allowed for that profile setting. So, you might not "see" the lowest setting, even if it is being used.

Anyway, my $.02. I'm just glad we have some knobs to fool with.

eu1

Upvote 0
your unstable at 748?? I've got SetCPU at max 768 ondemand and its perfectly fine

As you move closer and closer to "the ragged edge", some phones will experience problems earlier than others. That's a consequence of the fact that the max speed that components can run at will be different from unit to unit. I'm sure there will be a small number of unlucky few who can't even run at 710.

Lucky you, ya got one of the quick ones. :)

eu1

Upvote 0
I am running Aloysius+JIT and highest I get is 5.4's. My settings are 806/480, 480/240 for sleep. Very stable and very fast. I never have any fc's or reboots. Been running at 806 for a while now. Battery life is even better for me. Before, half day, I was at 50% or so, now Im at 75-82% with same use as before.
2d8egm.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones