1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Overclocking Motorola Droid

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DgDeBx, Feb 24, 2011.

1. DgDeBx

DgDeBx Newbie
    None

Mar 30, 2010
    Student
    West Coast
    I have had an original Motorola Droid since launch and finally rooted it last night. I was thinking about overclocking the processor but I dont know a lot about it. What would be a good app to use and what would be a safe and stable level to set it at so that it doesn't overheat or damage the processor? Also, are there preset profiles that can underclock the processor when you aren't using it to increase battery life?

Advertisement

2. HKM

None

Well yes if you OC you are in danger of frying the SoC due to heat as you might know from middle school when thinks are hot they expend and when its cool they extract. So this consent extend/extract cycle has impact and can fry or crack the circuit in long run thus limiting the life expectancy.

Now that being said OC does have its power more for us its the control so we can manually increase the power when needed like I do to conserve battery power and underclock it when power is not needed as it will waste battery. Based on how you have setup you can setup mCPU profiles but make sure when its idle (screen off) you have the lowest min frequency selected.

3. wk21030

wk21030 Newbie
    None

Jan 8, 2011
    I think you mean Expand and contract just sayin.

4. trav473

trav473 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 10, 2010
    The OG Droid is relatively safe to overclock to 1000 Mhz, many will go up to 1.2 Ghz, and some even further. a good app to use for overclocking is Set CPU, its a couple bucks off the market, it is fairly easy to set up profiles, and has temp monitoring features. but before you overclock, read up in the Root Guide about flashing kernals (got to have an overclocked kernal before you can overclock). Phones can be finicky about the kernal they run, such as the coding and who wrote it, the voltage its running at, etc.... you will want to try several to find the speed/voltage/"brand"(developer) that best fits your phone. Good luck with your new adventures, it can be VERY addictive.

5. skilaufen

skilaufen Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 24, 2010
    Something
    Somewhere
    A rooted stock Droid can be overclocked to 800 mhz with no problems that I have heard of. To go higher than 800 you will need to flash a new kernel as the previos post said.

6. DgDeBx

DgDeBx Newbie
    None

Mar 30, 2010
    Student
    West Coast
    So If I download Set CPU from the Market and set the clock speed to 800mhz it will overclock the processor without having to flash a new kernel?

7. krouget

krouget Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 13, 2010
    You can also use "Milestone Overclock" to increase the speeds above that, too, without changing the kernel. It's what a good number of users are doing on the GB ROMs.

8. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert
    None

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    Perhaps. It has been said the the 'stock' 2.6.32 kernel can clock to 800mhz, but I wonder if that is true, since we rooters have been using this kernel with our various custom roms and most have called them 'stock'. When you go here on your phone, what does the last half say?:

menu -> settings -> about phone

If the Android version is 2.2 or above and your kernel version is 2.6.32, then give it a try. Oh, and I _think_ I know somewhere you can get a taste of SetCPU as well. . . 'cough, cough, cough'