1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

overclocking?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by paigow, Sep 20, 2011.

1. paigow

paigow Well-Known Member

I tried a few apps but none of them seems to be able to overclock. It underclocks but not overclocks.
    What apps do you guys use to overclock? And how do you get it to actually overclock?

Advertisement

2. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Android Expert

the stock kernel is not capable of being overclocked, so you will need to install a new kernel (or full ROM since they include a new kernel), then use SetCPU from the market to over/underclock.

3. paigow

paigow Well-Known Member

I thought New kernals came with custom Roms. I'm on bamf 1.0.5

4. SolidOrange

SolidOrange Android Expert

they do. with that, or any other custom ROM, you should be able to use SetCPU. it has never failed on any rom for me, sense, aosp, or otherwise.

5. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

+1 for setCPU. If you have an XDA account you can get it for free, if you want to support the dev it is available on the market.

6. paigow

paigow Well-Known Member

ill buy the app but my concern is all the other apps i downloaded and tried never let me overclock the thunderbolt. max cpu was always 1024000

7. paigow

paigow Well-Known Member

so i bought the set cpu app, still max is only 1024000, how do you overclock it?

8. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

I think you are on a kernel that doesn't allow for much overclocking. Try flashing a different kernel. Neither the rom nor the overclocking app specify what you can overclock to that is all up to your kernel.

I assume that team bamf is using some type of modified stock kernel and not a custom kernel.

I can't give suggestions for Sense kernels as I use AOSP roms and each kernel will only work for 1 framework.

9. Tboltfan25

Tboltfan25 Android Enthusiast

What Sense ROM are you running, some new Sense Roms are still being released with stock Kernels that you cannot overclock. Synergy, for example, comes with Ziggys latest kernel which CAN be overclocked, but something like BAMFForever comes with a stock kernel, so you can't OC it until you flash a different kernel...I fun BamfForever with imos latest FWIW

10. paigow

paigow Well-Known Member

where do i check this. im not a pro rooter so you have to explain it to me.

11. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

From reading your posts I am sure you are on a kernel that can't be overclocked. I am assuming these are built from HTC source and no additional slots have been added. You can check your kernel version by going to settings > about phone.

12. paigow

paigow Well-Known Member

here is a screen shot of kernel.

[​IMG]

13. stanlalee

stanlalee Well-Known Member

yep that's your problem. Flash another kernel

14. Tboltfan25

Tboltfan25 Android Enthusiast

Glad we got it figured out

15. paigow

paigow Well-Known Member

I Need to read up on kernel flashing i never done it. plus which do you guys recommend i use?

16. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert

It depends on which ROM you're using

17. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Kernel flashing is easy, you flash in recovery but only wipe cache and dalvik cache then reboot.

18. paigow

paigow Well-Known Member

i flashed bamf 1.0.4 then i did the 1.0.5 patch but whether or not the 1.0.5 patch was successful im not sure but i know at is at least 1.0.4
    is there any screen shots i can take of the phone to show?

[​IMG]

19. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

It still sounds like you are flashing roms not kernels. I don't think team BAMF puts out their own kernels to flash.

I can't see the SS currenty imageshack is blocked at work :(

20. paigow

paigow Well-Known Member