• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Overheating DX2

i_am_booked

Aug 26, 2010
My x2 was overheating every once in a while and restarting itself when it would get to hot. also when it would get really hot the green led would stay lit, this is hell if u like to use that light. i took it to verizon about 2 hrs ago and they gave me a new x2.

anyone else having issues like this?

Mine is doing it too. On the way home from work today, I answered a call and noticed it to be hot and was 113 degrees. I shut it down until I got home and restarted. It is charging ATM at 82 degrees.

This is the second time since buying the DX2 yesterday that it has gotten that hot.

I will return mine tomorrow and see if a second one fairs better, along with the other issues.

Upvote 0
i use mine as an mp3 player in my jeep and thats when it gets really hot. i actually had to put it in the fridge a few days ago for a couple mins.

Are you getting the pops and skips while playing MP3s? I get it in about every song while just listening to music and BIG TIME if I try to go into other apps or mess with settings. Multi tasking is not sound friendly. My gTablet has the Tegra 2 and Froyo, but does not have this issue, or the heat issue either, but bigger size to dissipate heat.

Upvote 0
Are you getting the pops and skips while playing MP3s? I get it in about every song while just listening to music and BIG TIME if I try to go into other apps or mess with settings. Multi tasking is not sound friendly. My gTablet has the Tegra 2 and Froyo, but does not have this issue, or the heat issue either, but bigger size to dissipate heat.

yeah pretty much any music app i try eventually skips throughout the song. i thought it was just my droid or me being to picky. im gonna see how this new one works out and see if i see the same problems.

Upvote 0
yeah pretty much any music app i try eventually skips throughout the song. i thought it was just my droid or me being to picky. im gonna see how this new one works out and see if i see the same problems.

The weird thing is I am watching Spartacus on a Megavideo app right now and it plays perfectly with sound and no skips or anything else. Ditto for Netflix.

Why MP3s? Does not matter if fast or slow sdcard. added: Movies off card do not skip either.

BTW, seems a no-brainer why no LTE with Tegra 2. If over 113 degrees without, it would breach 120 degrees with LTE without trying. Yikes.

Upvote 0
My x2 was overheating every once in a while and restarting itself when it would get to hot. also when it would get really hot the green led would stay lit, this is hell if u like to use that light. i took it to verizon about 2 hrs ago and they gave me a new x2.

So you just took it back on that? And they gave you a new one? A real new one? I might do the same then.

Upvote 0
I did not say it was overheating, since that implies I know the operational failure points of the device, which I do not. I said it has gotten hot at 114 degrees and do not recall my gTablet or Incredible getting that hot and would notice. Even when I would overclock the Inc or the Droid 1, they did not get that high.

The second time it got that hot, the touch screen and app opening became laggy and after about ten minutes, the DX2 showed no sign of cooling (I use a temperature monitor app), so I turned it off and restarted.

Though I agree about heat issues with the OP, I am not sure if overheating as much as getting hot. Perhaps splitting hairs.

Upvote 0
I'm curious about how you know it is overheating. All high end Android devices feel warm when the processor has been working hard for a little while. A reboot while feeling warm isn't anywhere near enough information to assume the device is overheating.

i figure when the device gets to hot to hold for more than a min or so its getting to hot for its own good. and yes verizon switched it out for me on the spot. they gave me another brand new dx2 straight out of the box.

Upvote 0
The weird thing is I am watching Spartacus on a Megavideo app right now and it plays perfectly with sound and no skips or anything else. Ditto for Netflix.

Why MP3s? Does not matter if fast or slow sdcard. added: Movies off card do not skip either.

BTW, seems a no-brainer why no LTE with Tegra 2. If over 113 degrees without, it would breach 120 degrees with LTE without trying. Yikes.

If you don't mind, what is the actual name of the megavideo app you are using? Can't seem to find it in the market. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Mine gets hot but nowhere near that level.

Upvote 0
I love the hardware in this thing so far, it's orgasmic. However, the temperatures this thing cooks up are redonkulous. Mines been to 150 before I just ripped the battery out and let it sit for awhile. This was last night while watching a few clips on youtube. I mean... that is REALLY hot. I was holding it on the ports with my thumb and my index where the camera shutter used to be, and near the end I was just focused on how ludicrously hot the phone was instead of the video playing.

I realize that, yes, this is a dual core phone, but hell! They may have tried to pack too much stuff into this and accidentally succeeded. I doubt there is a millimeter of wasted space inside this thing. That's cool and all that it's all crammed in here... but that's bad for actual use. I haven't even had this thing 1 day so far, but I already know that while it's actually being used temperatures are going to be the biggest concern, never mind the skipping audio and whatnot. Maybe the processor should be clocked down a bit, TBH. It is dual core, I'm sure sacrificing 200mh/z or something could work wonders on the temperature problem without impacting performance significantly. (Not 'rooted' yet. I say that with quotes because we STILL can't actually root. >.> **** locked up boot loaders...)

Upvote 0
After seeing some mixed reviews on Revolution, now I'm about 70/30 for Rev vs. DX2 that I will get soon though I still prefer Rev. But this overheating issue really bothers me to the point of considering Charge as second runner instead of DX2.

I can forgive couple of software glitches in DX2 like facebook contact, MP3 files, but overheating to 150 degrees? What the!? I don't want my phone feel like a toaster. I really hope SGSII or Bionic come on horizon in early summer if Moto doesn't get this sorted out.

Upvote 0
After seeing some mixed reviews on Revolution, now I'm about 70/30 for Rev vs. DX2 that I will get soon though I still prefer Rev. But this overheating issue really bothers me to the point of considering Charge as second runner instead of DX2.

I can forgive couple of software glitches in DX2 like facebook contact, MP3 files, but overheating to 150 degrees? What the!? I don't want my phone feel like a toaster. I really hope SGSII or Bionic come on horizon in early summer if Moto doesn't get this sorted out.

the facebook issue isnt an issue, ppl just dont know how to use the phone (theres settings to change facebook stuff). the mp3 skipping issue isnt to bad. i use audiogalaxy so my music goes over 3g or wifi, it skips sometimes but again it isnt a deal breaker. the 150 degree overheating problem is a problem, i'll admit that, but if u have ever used another smart phone u know that they get hot the more and longer it is used. some ppls phones seem to overheat and others dont. i'd go with motorola anyday of the week for just about any phone because of the build quality of the device.

this phone has A LOT OF POTENTIAL and i think that GB will show that.

Upvote 0
the facebook issue isnt an issue, ppl just dont know how to use the phone (theres settings to change facebook stuff). the mp3 skipping issue isnt to bad. i use audiogalaxy so my music goes over 3g or wifi, it skips sometimes but again it isnt a deal breaker. the 150 degree overheating problem is a problem, i'll admit that, but if u have ever used another smart phone u know that they get hot the more and longer it is used. some ppls phones seem to overheat and others dont. i'd go with motorola anyday of the week for just about any phone because of the build quality of the device.

this phone has A LOT OF POTENTIAL and i think that GB will show that.

But last time I heard, it's impossible to get to sync contact setting in the facebook app menu. Is that now fixed or some folks misunderstood how to use it?

Upvote 0

That temp does not seem possible. The hottest mine has gotten was 116 and that was when Flash went nuts. Anything (almost) is possible, but seems the device would literally fry at that temp and shut down hard or die.

Seems there may have been temp measuring error, or the DX2 is one TOUGH device.

added: I really think this temp is not possible and no offense to the person reporting it. Temperature impact to electronics like this is exponential, so a HUGE difference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones