• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Overheating issue?

Ok, I've unlocked my phone, and switched over to AT&T, so I have to watch my data usage (1.5G data/mo).

I looked for a GPS app that worked solely off the internal GPS and not the a-GPS that uses cell towers & data. I found Navfree (USA) and had to download maps (using wifi). While doing so, the phone got really hot and my battery moniter app popped up a warning about it overheating. I tossed it in the fridge and it finished downloading. Then when I ran the program, after 5 or so minutes with it on, it again overheated. I tried several more times but turned off the program when I felt it getting hot.

I know I've played games with in on for long periods w/o it overheating so it's not that it overheats when the display is on, plus I've downloaded before w/o heat issues. Is it something with the GPS chip that is overheating? Or is it my battery monitor that is causing it? Anyone else using a GPS program that isn't data related?

I popped the cover off, it's not the battery that gets hot (does feel warm tho) but just above it, like near the connection, under the SD card and camera flash.

Thanks, Andrew

Hmmm, thanks. Reason I was looking for an offline GPS is that where I wander, sometimes there isn't coverage, and I've lost a-GPS signal in those areas. Nothing like going blind. I came from Sprint, who had GPS as part of their plan, so I never knew how much data GPS comsumed.

As for the wifi receiver, would that overheat while using it (offline) in the car? I know from downloading that sounds possible but while using it in my car the temp increased too.

I'm trying out a few other offline GPS apps, OsmAnd and Maverick (lite). Will see if they overheat my phone too.

-Andrew

Upvote 0
I have went through 3 L9's from T-Mobile. They are getting hot AFTER the system upgrade!!!! T-Mobile is unaware of any issue with this though.
I am going to have to get a new phone even though mine is under warranty. all they will do is keep sending me more L9's. The upgrade is mandatory...no option to not install it. from what I recall. Only gives option to install later.

Upvote 0
Just to jump into this discussion and see if anyone has come up with a solution. Maybe there isn't one.
I am now on my 3rd L9. This is because of the overheating issue. As someone said above, it is not the battery but above it. I have the feeling that some app is running in the background and causing it. Someone has suggested turning off the LTE in Settings. As soon as I figure out what that is I will try it.
I have tried turning off the wifi and that seems to help a little.
I would like to hear if someone has been able to get a coherent answer from LG support. I sure can't.
I hate to switch to Samsung because I really like this phone. But maybe that is the only way out.
Any thoughts on this?

Upvote 0
I still have the overheating problems as well. Could just be a fault with most L9's. I also get a slow charging notice sometimes when I go to plug it in. When that happens I have to unplug it and plug it back in. Overall not completely impressed with the L9 but I couldn't imagine myself spending over $250 on a phone.

Upvote 0
After posting, I did some more digging and have found what works for me. I went to Settings>Power saver and clicked on Power Saver Tips. I then followed the guidelines there. I applied all of them and also turn on the wifi only when I need it which is not very often actually.
I have noticed that my battery lasts a lot longer and the phone does not overheat. I think LG should look into this but doubt that will happen. If it serves as consolation to anyone, a friend of mine with an iPhone tells me she has the same problem. But it cost her 400€ more!!! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones