1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

overheating issues SEVERE this summer

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gamer30168, Aug 10, 2012.

1. gamer30168

gamer30168 Android Enthusiast

Hey guys ive heard some of you speak of some overheating but this summer my esteem has become radioactively hot. Im almost always running some version of #2 and i usually swap out for blitzkrieg 2.1. I do not overclock. In fact ive set my max CPU speed to 700(something). Id say within 5 minutes of waking my phone out of sleep it gets so hot that the sound quits working. I fire up wifi tethering app (but dont activate it) so i can see the temp. Its usually over 100 degrees. Ive seen up to 109F. My BT, Wifi and GPS are always off unless im using them. Its starting to piss me off pretty bad. It wasnt like this until it started getting hot this summer. I usually have to take the battery cover off and place the phone on top of a fan or in the freezer to restore sound. I use 3 different batteries so im sure thats not the cause. Any ideas or similar experiences?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Fuzzy13

Fuzzy13 Extreme Android User

105-109 is hot but that's not TOO hot. Some Connect users were claiming 120+

But It shouldn't get over 75 when just turning it on. Sounds like the battery is bad.

My phone rarely gets above 80 and if it does its because ive had the screen on for an hour looking at stuff online and then it will get up to around 105.

3. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

not to side bar too much but does anyone have a good widget for temp?

4. OptiC-ShotS

OptiC-ShotS Android Enthusiast

5. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

Lol I forgot about the widgets they have. I was kinda thinkin of a stand alone widget tho to be honest.

6. esv9591

esv9591 Member

I've hit about 120 before. All I was doing was driving with the phone asleep in my cup holder.

7. OptiC-ShotS

Look up battery monitor widgets.

8. ShinySide

ShinySide Extreme Android User

At 131 degrees the phone will shut down to protect itself. 100-115 is some what normal

9. ShinySide

ShinySide Extreme Android User

Look on the market for Phone Over Heat Alert

10. gamer30168

The general consensus that I see so far seems to be that the temperature isnt too much to be worried about. The thing that has me in such a tizzy is that the sound goes out anytime its hot. This means when my phone rings I can answer it but neither me or the caller can hear anything. I often have to answer my calls with a text that says "text only sound is not working" I also can not listen to music movies etc. Someone said maybe its a bad battery; great thought....but i have 3 batteries that i use on rotation so how likely is it that i have 3 bad batteries (all bought at metro corp. so not bootleg)? I once heard PG speak of having heat issues due to a 32gb class 10 SD, which is what i use most of the time, so i swapped that out with 3 other smaller class and capacity SDs. Same shit happens. I was filming some great footage of a corvette ride with it for youtube and i got robbed of the audio. Im almost ready to trash this POS and get the SG3

11. LDrifta

LDrifta No Stranger 2 Danger

you dont think it's anything to do with underclocking it do you? maybe it's working harder to accomplish simple tasks because of the lack in ram or whatever lol im no pro it's just a thought/idea..

1200 is default so just try 1000 and see if it helps any :D

12. gamer30168

The problem has been occurring at the stock speed of 1024 since summer began and i only set it to 700ish at the suggestion of transfusionz a couple of days ago. Im almost ready to return the phone to stock state to see if its a software issue

13. gamer30168

damn dude were you driving through death valley with no AC?

14. horsecharles

horsecharles Android Expert

Kanaida Homeless will yield you great results, try it out.
    Only one tradeoff, no hdmi.

15. Fuzzy13

Not on ZVD it wont cause it was built for ZVB.

16. Carlos1986

Carlos1986 Android Enthusiast

Agreed, kanaida abandoned that project a while ago and never made a new kernel for the zvd source like he said he would. While it may work, in the long run its not suggested to run Kernels built on prior zvc,zvb kernel sources on zvd. Doing so may undo any fixes made by lg to fix prior issues on the esteem.

Just an educated guess.

17. Fuzzy13

That is correct. ;)

Most people say Homeless throws them into bootloop on D.

I've however used it on D and it's extremely laggy.

18. gamer30168

I tried using Gingersteem extreme 2.2 ZVC on my ZVD ROM and it did work for a short time it quickly began manifesting problems such that a re-ROM was necessary within a week. I wish PG would revive the GSE hyper edition kernel for ZVD

19. Transfusiionz

Transfusiionz George Carlin FTW!

I'd try a full wipe and re-flash #2 v2.3... You could back up your important apps and contacts to your sd.
    If that doesn't fix it, you could try to restore completely to stock, then re-update to zvd.
    If that doesn't fix it, then it's probably a hardware issue.
    If it doesn't get fixed by wiping/reflashing, then it's likely a hardware issue, but it's still possible that a complete restore would fix it.
    We need the experts here :thinking:

20. Fuzzy13

That does sound good and all but how about changing the battery first? Being that that is what gets hot. Cheapest and easiest.

21. Transfusiionz

Transfusiionz George Carlin FTW!

Well, I looked over that seeing as he has 3 batteries.

22. Fuzzy13

Damn that's unlucky to buy 3 bad batteries. lol :p

23. gamer30168

*facepalm*
    turns out it was the brightness settings for the screen. I had it on its brightest setting. When i reverted back to auto the heating drastically reduced. 8 hours now with no sound interruptions!

24. Fuzzy13

HAHAHA. We've all been there.

You didn't notice that it was bright as ISH?

I turn my screen to halfway and it's almost blinding in a dark room. :D

25. OptiC-ShotS

Your over clocked :eek:

LG Esteem Forum

The LG Esteem release date was October 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

October 2011
Release Date
Reviews