• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Overheating issues

I've played Injustice for an hour, and this would normally make my M7 hot enough to arc-weld. It was hot, especially near the top of the phone (near the camera lens), but not abnormally hot or hotter than any other phone I've owned. I keep the screen around 70-80% auto.

On a hot day in Orlando (98degrees), I was on the phone in line for about 30 minutes and had the screen at 100%. When I went into the settings for something else, I noticed the screen was at 95%, so I tried to push it back up, and it wouldn't let me because of temperature. That is the only time I've experienced it, and I didn't even notice a difference in viewing, I just stumbled upon it.

My biggest gripe is that WHEN that happens, it doesn't seem to reapply the previous setting when it cools down. Since it only happened once, I can't confirm that, but that seems to be how it works.

Bottom line, if the ONLY concern you have is heating, I wouldn't worry one bit.

Reactions: _sC
Upvote 0
My G3 idles at around 45-50degC. I've noticed when I've been testing it that after around 5-10min of normal use the temp goes up to around 60-65 (probably hotter but its throttling so the temp will be falling) and it thermal throttles to around 1.4-1.8Ghz. I do find my phone runs warmer than the 1080 flagships which I've found idle at around 38-40degC.

Upvote 0
Reviews point out the throttling and the heat, so valid in relation to use. Watching movies is not a resource heavy task. Qhd content though is ironically the weak spot for the device and where the heat and throttling are noticed the most.

Since the average of content is 720p and still a ways from 1080p being the norm, not much worry for Qhd unless mainly web content and some video media.

All devices get real warm to hot when using data radios and gps. Toasty combo.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
This is the hottest phone I have ever owned in all areas. It can get very hot when used as a car sat nav. It does cool off very quickly and does not seem to cause any problems and I do have it in the quick circle case (which with the UK model does not replace the back, so an extra layer). I am just loving this phone which seems to do all things so well so I would not let getting warm put you off getting one. Mine in unlocked and I have had it for about 3 weeks Already I have had 3 software updates from LG dealing with App and power management. I dont know about other countries but here in the UK its a lot cheaper than the SG5 which is why I traded my SG3 in for the LG. No regrets its a great phone.

Upvote 0
The G3 does get "hot" as noted above. It can get about as hot as the S3, which is fairly warm. That said, it does not get as hot when using GPS and data. The G3 takes the crown there and then some.

I think the term "hot", like battery life is subjective. Anandtech, GSM and a few other reviews that actually due scientific tests rather than glossy candy coat reviews clearly point out the device gets hot, but the display/gpu is throttled to mitigate the issue.

Do the math :) Display resistance of the device is designed for 1080p, so almost doubling the pixels does not spread that power need evenly out, but proportionally adds to it. A key time folks should notice heat and throttling is if the ambient temperature is over 85 degrees.

I notice all devices get hot. Has anyone used the iPhone 5s for extended periods and playing games? Gets hot! Battery drains fast too. Like all devices really.

Point being, the G3 is not a super special device that defies physics of other devices and does not get hot. Common electrical sense is the Qhd display facilitates a potentially warmer device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones