• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help overheating

civicsisedan

Android Expert
Apr 26, 2010
Maryland
Was around 12% playing game and plugged phone in.

Started blinking orange and green repeatedly. Never seen so did quick search and see it means over heating.

I have otterbox defender case on and my phone does get warm. Finally went to solid orange and checked batt temp after and it was at 116 degrees.

Anybody get overheating warning lights?

Was around 12% playing game and plugged phone in.

Started blinking orange and green repeatedly. Never seen so did quick search and see it means over heating.

I have otterbox defender case on and my phone does get warm. Finally went to solid orange and checked batt temp after and it was at 116 degrees.

Anybody get overheating warning lights?

Nothing here, but I don't have mine in a case yet. The new case gets delivered tomorrow. I'll let you know if anything changes.

Have you tried to push your phone without using the case?

Upvote 0
I was streaming netflix in 4g for 30 minutes. The battery got to 129F. The next day i was streaming netflix for 1 hour in 3g and the battery got to 131F. I have an extended battery with a case with the battery space cut out. When i plugged it in I got the flashing green flashing Amber led. How hot is too hot? Should I be able to stream a whole movie (2 hours in 4g)? The phone worked fine. It was warm. But, it did not shut down or anything like that. How hot is too hot?

Attachments

• IMAG0319.jpg
    IMAG0319.jpg
    812.7 KB · Views: 238
Upvote 0
I was streaming netflix in 4g for 30 minutes. The battery got to 129F. The next day i was streaming netflix for 1 hour in 3g and the battery got to 131F. I have an extended battery with a case with the battery space cut out. When i plugged it in I got the flashing green flashing Amber led. How hot is too hot? Should I be able to stream a whole movie (2 hours in 4g)? The phone worked fine. It was warm. But, it did not shut down or anything like that. How hot is too hot?

When it starts getting close to 140F that's pretty hot. My battery has never gotten above 112F (at least during those times I actually checked). Streaming netflix for 30 shouldn't get your phone that hot. I'll do my my own test later just to compare and give you some feedback. However, I don't use a case with my phone.

Upvote 0
Did you get batt temp by chance?

Seems this morning after little browsing its running around 100.

Read somewhere that 120 is when if charging it throws the orange green lights.

I am gonna try and push the battery to 120 after I drop kid at school. My back is always warm/hot. Might have to return if its easy to overheat.

Upvote 0
I have mentioned this issue after testing streaming media via 4g on the Rez. The device bottles the heat up and does not seem to dissipate it. This means it can build up if 4g is running and the S3 is pushing 1.5ghz. How could it not get hot?

Razr would probably be just as toasty, but dissipates though the display and does not bottle up. Display can get warm though. Not hot, but warmer than the D3 and Rezound.

Upvote 0
I use the extended battery, and I use the phone pretty heavily. I leave brightness on Auto, connected to 4G. Battery (and the rest of the unit) never even gets warm to the touch. I do remember feeling it get warm for the single day that I used the standard battery, but I never saw such bad behavior as people in this thread are seeing.

Upvote 0
I just ran a 30 minute test. Battery started at 86F and 25% charge room temp 74F. Phone set to High performance 4g max bright on screen. I streamed netflix for 30 minutes. End battery temp 129.6F and 6% charge. Network signal is -65dBm. The tower is across the street.

I just ran the same test. Streamed Superman (the original movie) on netflix over 4G for 30 minutes. According to spare parts my temp was 27.6C (81.7F) before I started and was at 40.3C (104.5F) after the 30 minute streaming test. So while it did get hotter, it didn't get anywhere near as hot as your phone during the same test. A 43 degree point change after 30 minutes of streaming would be a concern to me. Did you run it with the case? Like I said earlier, I don't have a case on mine. The ironic thing is that you actually had better battery performance than I did. Mine went from 83% to 58% during the test. 4G really does use a lot of battery.

Upvote 0
I would not use a case on the Razr or Rezound. Too much hot stuff can be going on.

Brett Favre and Anthony Wiener still sending you text messages? :p

I keep my phone in a case for carrying around at work, and for texting. If I were to do some serious streaming, I take it out of the case and flip it over on its back (typically with a fan sitting on top of it). These things run really hot and I wouldn't risk doing any more damage than can already take place from how hot the phones tend to get.

Some people claim that the phone's auto-shut-off means the phone will never get damaged from overheating. I believe it won't necessarily do immediate damage, but it definitely puts unnecessary stress on the components inside. When you figure that some of the components on a microchip are hundreds of times smaller than the thickness of a human hair, you can imagine how excessive environmental elements can shorten the lifespan of these components.

Take the protection off before you play with it....Besides it feels better without all that protection.... :D :eek:

Upvote 0
The Rezound definitely has heat problems. I am now on my third Rezound. The first two go stuck in 3G/4G limbo and overheated and shut down. Both ended up in boot loop hell never to awake again. Let's see if the third time is a charm.

This is very disheartning for somebody that has considered getting this phone. Actually all the posts under this thread about overheating are catching my eye, and not in a good way.

Upvote 0
Brett Favre and Anthony Wiener still sending you text messages? :p

I keep my phone in a case for carrying around at work, and for texting. If I were to do some serious streaming, I take it out of the case and flip it over on its back (typically with a fan sitting on top of it). These things run really hot and I wouldn't risk doing any more damage than can already take place from how hot the phones tend to get.

Some people claim that the phone's auto-shut-off means the phone will never get damaged from overheating. I believe it won't necessarily do immediate damage, but it definitely puts unnecessary stress on the components inside. When you figure that some of the components on a microchip are hundreds of times smaller than the thickness of a human hair, you can imagine how excessive environmental elements can shorten the lifespan of these components.

Take the protection off before you play with it....Besides it feels better without all that protection.... :D :eek:

Yes, I use a geek-like belt loop leather case, but it makes me a chick magnet :rolleyes:

I did not mean to not use a carrying case, but did mean to not use a body case that is always around it. Seems too much stuff that can heat up.

Upvote 0
I would not use a case on the Razr or Rezound. Too much hot stuff can be going on.

What do you think about the heat issues and the case with the battery space cut out? Do you think streaming in Normal mode (3G and using 40% brightness) instead of High Performance (4G and max brightness) would be better for not building up as much heat? Or just go without a case when I stream media?

Attachments

• IMAG0319.jpg
    IMAG0319.jpg
    812.7 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 0
Yes, I use a geek-like belt loop leather case, but it makes me a chick magnet :rolleyes:

I did not mean to not use a carrying case, but did mean to not use a body case that is always around it. Seems too much stuff that can heat up.

lol, I didn't say you said not to use it, I was just busting your chops about how you worded your post (Brett Favre and Anthony Wiener sending inappropriate junk-shot text messages?!?! Anyone?!?! anyone?). :p

I carry my phone around for the most part in the case, but when I know I'm going to do some heavy use on it, I take it out of the case because I know the case just bottles up the heat. Most phones are generally going to run hot if they have a case on them while running some intensive apps or processing a lot of data (4G stream). If anyone lets that sway their judgement then they're either too lazy to take a phone out of its case to let it cool off or need to buy themselves a laptop with an extra laptop cooling stand. There's no way you can expect to do so much on a phone and not expect it to get a little warm.

Reactions: rushmore
Upvote 0
Just did a little test. Otterbox defender case and full brightness and 4G.

Started at 72% battery and 79.7 degrees. watched 30 mins of netflix.

Ended with 44% battery and 118.9 degrees. Immediatley played early birds for 15 mins.

Finished at 34% battery and 124.3 degrees.

Well, the 6 degree spike from playing Angry Birds doesn't see too out of the ordinary. However, I still find the spike in temp from watching 30 minutes of netflix pretty substantial. Like I said, I got nowhere near that kind of spike doing the same test. Have you tried the same test without the case on the phone for comparison?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones