• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I've noticed that my phone has been overheating more after the OTA... is anyone experiencing this too and is there a solution to it?

I noticed that for about three charging cycles (during charging when I handled the phone), then it gradually went away. Now it's about the same mild warmth for a few minutes of the beginning of the charge as it was on 1.5.

Upvote 0
This phone has always gotten warm when on a call for more the ten minutes. But after about 20 it gets just plain HOT. Its uncomfortable enough that I either have to switch ears or end the call altoghter.

The amount of heat generated also has to do with how many applications are drawing power from the battery during the call and cpu usage. The transmitter ("radio") in the device is the biggest juice-user, obviously, so with apps running in the background while a long call is in progress we will feel more warmth in the device.

20 minutes is a long call.. I was on the phone last night for over 50 minutes and yes it got uncomfortable.. I'd say the threshold for me is about 30 minutes before I feel like it's an issue.

I remember being bothered a bit by this with my StarTac years ago.

Upvote 0
Most cell phones get a tad warmer the longer you're on a call as the cpu is being used more. When you say it is HOT after 20 minutes, are you referring to pre-OTA, post-OTA or both? If it's only post-OTA are you sure it didn't get HOT pre-OTA? How many calls do you make over 20 minutes? Is it HOT on all of them? Might it be that you've only made a call or two over 20 minutes, post-OTA, where the phone got HOT and is it possible you were in a spot with poor reception (i.e. the cpu had to work harder to keep the connection going)? Did you install any new apps after the OTA?

Upvote 0
This phone has ALWAYS gotten warm when on a call for more the ten minutes. But after about 20 it gets just plain HOT. Its uncomfortable enough that I either have to switch ears or end the call altoghter.

pre/post/root/unrooted/leaked my phone has always gotten warm. After 20 minutes I, personally, would classify it as hot. I don't keep alot of apps running in the background. Beutiful widgets for the clock and weather, and all the other standard background apps. I don't use many other widgets except for power control, music(stock), and pandora(which I always "quit" thru the menu).

Its not something I worry about, I may make one call over 20 minutes a day. I'm just stating that if you experience the phone getting warm, it doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong. It just gets hot when you make a call.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones