• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Overly pleased with my switch to the Evo V!

rubejb

Android Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2010
Sorry if this post gets wordy. :)

I started using Virgin Mobile with the LG Optimus V. It was my second Android phone and I was very pleased with it. The screensize may have been small, but at the time it didn't seem it, and although the specs weren't great, it operated very smoothly and ran most apps well. The only major gripe I had with it was the internal memory. On the stock ROM I was running out of space constantly.

Then I upgraded to the Triumph and loved it. The larger screen alone was worth the upgrade, but the faster processor and ability to run better games was a nice bonus. And having a full gig of internal space for apps meant I never ran out of memory.

However, it wasn't without issues. The screen, although large and vivid, often became unresponsive. I'd have to tap it a number of times to get a response. The same was true of the soft buttons at the bottom of the screen. And the other major issue was the GPS. It just didn't work. There were supposed fixes for rooted phones, and apps you could run to get it to connect, but they didn't seem to work for me.

The Triumph was the best that Virgin Mobile had to offer at the time in my opinion, but I was excited to see the Evo 3D coming.

And finally, the Evo V:

Amazing, in my opinion. Going from the triumph there are a few things that I instantly loved about it.

The first is the screen. It's technically larger, but I didn't really notice a change in side. It's certainly not as noticeable as the jump from the Optimus to the Triumph. But the responsiveness of it is a huge improvement over the Triumph. I love the fact that I no longer have to tap-tap-tap at times to get it to respond.

The screen also seems a bit crisper, but I don't really see much difference.

The next improvement is the GPS. Just being able to open the Google Maps app and have it find my location in seconds is a wonderful thing.

The phone is heavier than the Triumph, which may seem like a bad thing, but I like the weight of it. It feels more solid in my opinion.

I've only had the phone for the weekend, so I haven't had much of a chance to test out any high-end apps on it. But it runs fairly smooth overall, I don't think I'll be disappointed by it's performance.

Battery life is fantastic so far. They say Android takes a while to "learn" your usage and adjust system settings to conserve battery. But even out of the box I'm getting far better life than I had with the Triumph.

And the last major benefit to the update in my opinion: ICS. I love that the phone comes with (almost) the latest version of Android. No longer do I have to install a custom ROM with missing features and glitches. Don't get me wrong, I love the modding communities that spring up for all of the Android devices. They've made some amazing ROMs and tweaks for each device I've owned. But it's also nice to have an official software installed that I'm happy with (for now :) ).

And now for the minor negatives on the Evo V:

The first is somewhat of a pain: the power button. It's a bit too recessed and isn't very easy to press. You have to hit it right in the middle, if you try to press down on either side it doesn't budge. I've already seen someone posting a fix for this, by taking off the back and putting a small strip of tape over the button, but it's still a design flaw.

And a very picky issue I have with the phone is the case design and button layout. I like the overall feel of the Evo V over the Triumph, the nice curved, textured back. It just fits in my hand better. Yet I don't like the placement of the side buttons and micro usb port. My thumb is always sitting somewhere around the port which is a slight annoyance, and my ring finger and pinky are always jostling the (pointless imo) 3d slider.

I for one won't be using the 3D setting very often if ever, so to have a physical switch just seems silly. It could have easily been a software option to turn on and off the rare times people use it.

And then there are the soft-keys for home, menu, etc. I know this isn't necessarily the fault of HTC since there are no standards set forth for Android for hardware keys, but by having the Home button on the left instead of Menu is a hard thing to get used to. I now see why the ICS software-based buttons are a good thing, having a standard set of keys between all devices would be wonderful.

These are mostly all minor complaints, but it's the little things that make me happy or displeased.

And although there have been many threads on here stating issues with their Evo V, I'm assuming and hoping that these are the few bad units and not what the majority of the users are experiencing.

TLDR:

I went from the Optimus V (great phone but has a small screen) to the Triumph (Nice large but sometimes unresponsive screen and worthless GPS) and now on the Evo V (Nearly perfect phone in my opinion).

If you're thinking about upgrading from another Android phone to the Evo V, I'd highly recommend it!

I have the opposite problem with 3D. I find myself using it a lot more than I ever thought I would. It's awesome for taking cool looking videos if your kids play sports.

That's cool. Glad you enjoy it. I just look at like this: It's a neat thing but after I take the picture of video, what do I do with it? I can show it off on my phone to people but beyond that?

Where as with regular pictures and videos I can post them online, have photos or albums printed up, and save them on my computer for future nostalgia. Yet 3D displays aren't prevalent enough yet to use the technology in the same way.

And who knows if they'll ever really take off. Perhaps it'll be some other technology that takes over and then we're left with a bunch of useless images and videos years from now.

But I'm not saying you shouldn't enjoy the 3D capabilities of the phone, I'm glad you do. I just personally don't see a use for it.

Upvote 0
understand that point of view with the video, however 3d pics can save a 2d version of the photo so any picture you shoot in 3d can be shared in 2D.

Ah, thanks. I didn't realize that. I guess it makes sense since it's just taking two images, right? Or is there more fancy trickery going on?

Wouldn't you, in theory, be able to break the video down into a 2D version as well then?

Upvote 0
I feel the same about my MT to 3VO upgrade. I loved my custom ROM on my MT, but it is nice to have functional ICS.

I am also not a fan of the buttons and port layout. The MT was better.

3D is oddly interesting, but not a major selling point for me.

I love all the cheap hardware support from the now old Sprint phone. I hope to use my extended batteries, once I find a belt case big enough.

I thought Sense would be what made me switch to a non oem rom. But I think it will be the unlock screen. I don't like having to unlock before I actually have to unlock. My lock pattern should be all that is needed to prevent accidental power on. It would also be nice to throttle the cpu speed with a governor, to get more from the battery.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the review rubejb. I have some follow-up questions though.

Off the top of your head, would you say the green tint issue some users have had with the phone's camera and 2D photos since its Sprint days is hardware or software based (as in, can it be fixed by just exchanging it with a new copy of the same phone)? Have you experienced the issues? Based on your personal experience, would you say the power button is too sensitive or too insensitive to the touch? Thanks again.

Upvote 0
With no-contract phones, it's easy to switch once you get tired of a phone.

I bought the Triumph and really enjoyed the 4" size, but my biggest issue with this phone was the Bluetooth. It would almost always disconnect itself with other Bluetooth devices after about 20 minutes.

I then switched to the htc Wildfire S, another phone that was much more responsive. I liked the htc interface but was troubled by its 3.2" screen.

Next up was the LG Marquee from Boost Mobile that had the responsiveness of the Wildfire S and the size of the Triumph.

I just switched again to get the Evo V since I would have the advantages of an htc interface and a large 4.3" screen without the expensive rates of the major carriers.

I now have the best of both worlds in a no-contract phone! :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the review rubejb. I have some follow-up questions though.

Off the top of your head, would you say the green tint issue some users have had with the phone's camera and 2D photos since its Sprint days is hardware or software based (as in, can it be fixed by just exchanging it with a new copy of the same phone)? Have you experienced the issues? Based on your personal experience, would you say the power button is too sensitive or too insensitive to the touch? Thanks again.

I haven't really noticed. I've taken a few pictures and video and so far they have turned out alright, especially the ones I've taken outdoors.

Upvote 0
Ha, we've had the same Virgin "journey" - I too started with the Optimus V, upgraded to the Triumph, then jumped ship for the Evo V. I'm really pleased so far!

Even unrooted/unmodded, this phone has functioned flawlessly - no green tint to my photos, no lag or crashing, just a nice functional phone. :)

I hate hate hate the needlessly enormous camera button, but I see why they put it on there - if anybody remembers the hype surrounding this phone back when it first launched, the ENTIRE selling point was the 3D camera gimmick, so of course the camera button would be oversized to emphasize it. But still. :( The switch is silly too, like you said.

I'm lefthanded and the ports/buttons haven't been an issue for me yet; the switch seems stiff enough that I'd have to really work to flip it. What bugs me more is the key layout - the Home and Menu buttons are reversed from where they were on the Triumph. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally hit menu when I meant to hit home or vice versa. And my derpy club thumb can't reach the home button when I have it in my right hand. D:

But I love love love this phone. It's nice to see Virgin finally getting some pretty decent, if slightly outdated, phones!

Upvote 0
I am quite fond of it. The only thing I don't like is that it just doesn't feel like a precision made piece. It's got kind of a sloppy feel to it. It's more spongy than mechanical, like it should be

I just don't like that it doesn't really match the rest of the phone, stylistically. It juts out, which is a stark contract to the smoothness of the rest of the phone. The rest of the phone is so rounded and soft, I just wish the button had been a bit more rounded along the edges as well.

Upvote 0
HTC and other big companies design phones by constantly submitting ideas to testers and changing based on feedback. a majority must have liked the 3D switch and your the first I've heard to dislike it.

logic says it isnt worthless, its just that you have no use for it. which is perfectly fine in and of itself. but it stands that its not worthless and thats a fact.

Upvote 0
HTC and other big companies design phones by constantly submitting ideas to testers and changing based on feedback. a majority must have liked the 3D switch and your the first I've heard to dislike it.

logic says it isnt worthless, its just that you have no use for it. which is perfectly fine in and of itself. but it stands that its not worthless and thats a fact.

Actually they constantly come up with ways to sell phones. There is a reason that these are Sprint branded, they didn't sell a ton of Evo 3D's and 3D is nowhere to be seen in their new phone lineup.

Before Sprint dropped the 3D it was $29.99 with a two year contract.

Upvote 0
Actually they constantly come up with ways to sell phones. There is a reason that these are Sprint branded, they didn't sell a ton of Evo 3D's and 3D is nowhere to be seen in their new phone lineup.

Before Sprint dropped the 3D it was $29.99 with a two year contract.

Actually, they sold a TON of these phones.
Problem is that everyone compares the sales figures to the Evo 4g and Iphone. Even a great selling phone will look dismal compared to the numbers those sold. So why remove it? For the money, most will pick the LTE or the Iphone.

As for 3d and people liking it, in general people didn't care one way or the other about it, but it's presence made people think it was the phones main selling point, which overshadowed the rest of the phone. People preferred the kickstand of the Evo 4g to the 3d function, which is why the Evo LTE has a kickstand instead of 3d, which it originally was designed with (Sprint rejected it and said they wanted a kickstand model). Photos of the early model next to the production LTE were what caused speculation of a new Evo 3d LTE. Which HTC promptly squashed (to some peoples dismay).

Upvote 0
Actually, they sold a TON of these phones.
Problem is that everyone compares the sales figures to the Evo 4g and Iphone. Even a great selling phone will look dismal compared to the numbers those sold. So why remove it? For the money, most will pick the LTE or the Iphone.

As for 3d and people liking it, in general people didn't care one way or the other about it, but it's presence made people think it was the phones main selling point, which overshadowed the rest of the phone. People preferred the kickstand of the Evo 4g to the 3d function, which is why the Evo LTE has a kickstand instead of 3d, which it originally was designed with (Sprint rejected it and said they wanted a kickstand model). Photos of the early model next to the production LTE were what caused speculation of a new Evo 3d LTE. Which HTC promptly squashed (to some peoples dismay).

Selling a "Ton" of phones means nothing if they didn't sell as many as they wanted to. It appears Virgin may become the place for sprint to unload its excess phones, which is fine. But if 3D was a huge sucess, we would see more of it, not less.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones