1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Overriding phone's Messaging both SMS and MMS

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by traveldogg, Oct 12, 2011.

1. traveldogg

traveldogg Lurker
    None

Oct 12, 2011
    I've spent a lot of man hrs trying to figure this out. I downloaded Handcent(I also tried GOSMS)to my stock Galaxy S2. This is what I did...I disabled the phones sms by going to Notifications and unchecking the box. I went to settings , applications,manage applications, all, then messaging. Went to "launch by default" and cleared default. When I tried to send a text in handcent it also shows up in the phone's messaging. When I receive a text, the same thing happens, it still shows in the phone and Hancent sms. Even the msg indicator pops up on in the phone's messaging. In the default messaging in Handcent, I also check the box for sms and mms. I cannot figure out anything else I can or should do. Please help

Advertisement

2. Adar

Adar Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    From within Handcent, go to settings, then I think it is the second option down. On the next screen, one of the options is to set the default for ama and mms. Choose the option for Both. That will fix it. I can't remember the specifics, because I just uninstalled it, but I had the same issue at first.

3. traveldogg

traveldogg Lurker
    None

Oct 12, 2011
    Hey I appreciate your response. In Hancent, I have that option checked as well.
    I'm about to through in the towel on this one. I've tried everything and the phone's messaging still active.

4. Adar

Adar Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    I know you have probably already done this, but in the Handcent options, have you tried setting it to disable, exit then go back and choose sms and mms? Maybe just changing the option will make it register. Beyond that, I don't really have any other ideas

5. JSchu22

JSchu22 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 13, 2009
    Tampa
    Is the question how do you keep messages from showing up in the stock app if you're using a 3rd party one (like Handcent)? If so, you can't. Just stop looking in there.

6. traveldogg

traveldogg Lurker
    None

Oct 12, 2011
    Ok..Thanks guys. I kind of figured that would be the case. I've read all of the place and no one ever mentioned anything about the texts still showing in the stock app.

7. MachineGunnWilly

MachineGunnWilly Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 9, 2010
    Travel they will still show up...but turn off the stock notifications, no need for double.
    Rt now I have been having serious issues with GO SMS on the E4GT, and have to go back to handcent it seems...This phone so far is giving me nothing but headaches...much faster than my old EVO, but nothing but problems so far

8. AlkiDweller

AlkiDweller Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Seattle
    When you delete messages in Handscent are they not also deleted in the stock app? You're not seeing duplicate messages. You're just seeing the same messages through two different programs.

9. DrCaleb

DrCaleb Newbie
    None

Jan 2, 2011
    I am not sure, but I had the same issue with my stock voicemail app on my phone. Sprint uses visual voicemail and whenever you receive a voice message it would display the amount of messages on the app. If you dial voicemail direct from your phone by pressing and holding the 1 key I would retrieve my voicemail and I would get a message that I did not have any voice messages. When I looked at my phone the visual voicemail still showed that I had voice messages.
    My work around was to use google voice and use it instead of the visual voicemail app. I no longer get visual voicemail notifications.

I believe that this is what traveldogg is trying to but only in his case it applies to mms and sms.
    If anyone has any ideas please post and perhaps this can be resolved. I sure would like to find out how to do this as well.

Thank you :)

Just updated to go sms pro v 3.73 new update as of today. There is a setting in the start up that deals with the notification settings that you are looking for. It seems to work well. Try it out it is in the market.

:)

10. AlkiDweller

AlkiDweller Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 3, 2009
    Seattle
    Voicemail and text messages are unrelated.

Text messages and the programs used to read them are independent things. Install 10 different text messaging programs and you'll see all the messages in each of them. Delete one message from one program and that message will be gone when you open any of the others. Receive a text message and it doesn't matter which program you use to view it, it'll be there.

There's only one copy of each message. I think the OP is thinking that the phone is taking incoming messages and sending a copy to both applications.

All you need to be concerned about is turning notification off for those that you don't use and setting the one that you do use as the default application.

11. DrCaleb

DrCaleb Newbie
    None

Jan 2, 2011
    Thank you very much AlkiDweller I am aware of the difference. I was just trying to draw a parallel to the similar issue that I was having with voicemail. :)