1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Overwhelmed by this rooting process - Please, someone help me. S2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Eperrine, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Eperrine

Eperrine Newbie
    None

Jan 23, 2011
    Hi all.
    I really want to root my S2, but i'm so overwhelmed at the amount of different ROMS, sources, resources, information and details out there, i don't know which one to follow. It's so frustrating! I have a couple of questions, i would be so extremely greatful if you could help answer them.

1. Which ROM?: Like, seriously, which one do i have? I do not know the difference in any of them and what to look for in them. I heard 'VillainRom' or something is quite popular.
    2. Mac: I have a MacBook Pro, but apparently it's not possible to root on my Mac. I also have a family Windows Desktop upstairs, but i'm afraid that the root software on the desktop may attract viruses/slow it down.
    3. What the heck is a ROM? What happens when i root?: Let's say i've completed the rooting process, and i turn my phone on. What should i expect? Will it be some random black screen with complicated coding on it?
    4. Do i have to back up everything before i root it?
    5. What do i do if i've gone wrong during the process? Who do i talk to? What do i do? Do i reset it?
    6. Is it possible to destroy my phone, trying to root it? This S2 means a lot to me, wouldn't want anything to happen to it.
    7. Is there someone i could stay in contact to, through email or Whatsapp Messenger etc. to help me through this process? Kind of like my e-ambulance lol.
    8. What happens after it's rooted? Can i immediately start customizing it, just like that?

After asking all these questions, i'm really put off by this rooting thing. But it looks so enjoyable being able to customize anything, and i'm sick of my battery dying so quickly!

THANKS ALL!

Advertisement

2. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Manchester
    1) There are lots of roms out there and the best place to look is here:
    Galaxy S II Android Development - xda-developers
    I am personally using Villain rom and I can recommend it, this can be downloaded from here:
    [08/7][2.3.4] VillainROM 2.0 for SGS2 < The ROM Noonski couldn't drain the battery on - xda-developers
    (You need to be rooted to install this rom)
    2) The root software will not attract any viruses, I have it running fine on my work and home computer. I recommend this guide for rooting:
    [11.07.2011][CF-Root v4.0] KE2/7/8, KF1/2/3/4, KG1 - su+bb+CWM4 - xda-developers
    3) A rom is basically like windows on a pc, its what the phone runs on. Rooting using the guide above just adds 2 apps to your phone, superuser and CWM. It does not change the look of the phone at all or the way you use it. It gives you access to areas on your phone that are otherwise secure.
    4) You don't have to backup anything before you root because you will not loose any data. I recommend a backup if you decide to flash another rom.
    5) The rooting process is quite simple when you FOLLOW the steps. If you get stuck just ask someone on here or over on the XDA forum.
    6) I have not yet heard of someone destroying their phone while trying to root as long as you follow the guide above.
    7) Its probably best to reply to this thread if you need any more advice so that if others have the same questions as you they will see the answers here, but you could also PM me if you want.
    8) After your phone is rooted you can flash custom roms, remove any unwanted system apps eg readers hub etc, over/underclock your cpu and many other things.

Hope this helps.

3. Eperrine

Eperrine Newbie
    None

Jan 23, 2011
    Wow, thank you so much for that informative reply. Rooting seems so simpler now. So basically, i root it, and then if i want (is it optional?) I can download the rom, from that above site you gave me. Oh, and lastly.. If my phone was to destroy or if i handed it in for warranty: would it be possible to unroot?

4. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Manchester
    samjohnno likes this.
  5. Forbesie

Forbesie Lurker
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    Thanks steslatt. I have to get rid of the junk on my unlocked phone. The questions I have prior to doing it are:
    1. Do I have to use a specific root for the Galaxy SII with this info I got from *#1234#
    PDA: XWKF3 ... Phone: XXKE7 ... CSC: XEUKD1 ?
    2. The Android version is 2.3.3 at present. Can I use the chainfire 2.3.4 rooted ROM that I found recently, straight through ODIN?
    3. What happens with KIES updates? Would the phone still update / be recognized?
    Thanks for any advice you can give

6. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Manchester
    1) No specific one, any will work but I would use the one that matches your firmware KF3.
    2) Not sure which rom you are referring to? Post a link and I will tell you.
    3) I have never used Kies to update but I think once you are rooted you will not be able to use it to update. Use odin instead.

7. Forbesie

Forbesie Lurker
    None

Jun 11, 2011
  8. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Manchester
  9. Forbesie

Forbesie Lurker
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    Thanks. God I must look like a real idiot to the experienced.
    Checked out the chainfire stuff.
    To a noobie it looks like Martian speak and difficult to know for certain exactly what download matches my phone, and if it's 2.3.4 based.
    Just read that the 2.3.4 firmware that was leaked for Galaxy S2 is only beta.
    I think it might be wise to wait 'till I get the real deal from Samsung and then root it.
    I fear diving in the deep end when I could take my time, walk around and slip gently in the shallow end. Poetic eh? I really am not in need of a $850 paperweight.:(
    Regards
    Rick

10. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Manchester
    Yes it was beta kg1 but samsung have released official kg2 now.

11. samjohnno

samjohnno Lurker
    None

Aug 10, 2011
    Thanks for your posts steslatt, you have helped me calm my fears over the rooting process.:)

Just to verify, the official release of KG2 = samsung officially has firmware for android 2.3.4?

Thanks again!

12. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Manchester
    Yes although KG5 is out now :)

13. samjohnno

samjohnno Lurker
    None

Aug 10, 2011
    wahhh??? So confused now.

So just a quick question. I have yet to recieve my phone. When i get it should I open kies to update to the latest firmware? OR should I root it first and then use a different method to update to the latest firmware.

I know that when we use the CF_root process, we should try and match our current firmware with the insecure kernels he has provided, but people also say that once you update your firmware AFTER rooting, it will loose root again.

So what do you think is the best method for rooting + patching the phone? My current plan is as follows.

1. open kies and update firmware/kernel to latest version
    2. kill kies process
    3. root the phone using CF_root
    4. remove the yellow triangle using CF_root steps
    5. Install all my root-dependent apps.
    6. woot!

If you could help me on this you would be doing a new android user a great favour!

14. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Manchester
    There is no point rooting then updating because you will loose root when you update.
    Your method will work although you may not get the latest firmware when updating with kies. It depends on your region and if your phone is carrier branded.
    I recommend using odin instead, it doesn not require root.

samjohnno likes this.
  15. samjohnno

samjohnno Lurker
    None

Aug 10, 2011
    Okay thanks a bunch mate, cleared alot of things up. I'll go do some more research on ODIN.

Cheers.

16. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Manchester
    No problem. Odin is quite straight forward to use, its just getting your head round firmware, csc, pda, kernel and modem :) KG5 is all packed into one I believe so its just a case of flashing one file and it updates everything.

17. samjohnno

samjohnno Lurker
    None

Aug 10, 2011
    I couldn't agree more. Sounds totally worth it though. :rolleyes:

18. Ozhak

Ozhak Member
    None

Aug 21, 2011
    I read the website on how to install the VillainRom. It says that after installing VillainRom, it needs to update the kernel to match the rom. Does the kernel for the ROM has to match the firmware version? The web does not state that quite clearly.

Many thanks

19. Ozhak

Ozhak Member
    None

Aug 21, 2011
    Also, now there is a 2.4.2 version.

I am getting so confused now regarding the kernel update to match the ROM and also taking into consideration this new version. Does it mean the kernel update changed?

For you information, I am now using SGSII with firmware XXKH3 which has been rooted. Please give me some pointers.

20. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    I wouldn't worry about the kernel too much, tbh. As long as you use a 2.3.4-based kernel with a 2.3.4-based firmware there shouldn't be any problems.

If running KH3 firmware then there's a CF-Root version available here. Fwiw the latest Ninphetamine kernel also works flawlessly with KH3.

21. Snifferdog

Snifferdog Lurker
    None

Aug 26, 2011
    Hey guys, I too am new at this and while chainfires walk through seems in depth enough I still am unsure which file I should be using to root my phone

I am using an Australian Optus Phone with the current Kies firmware

Model Number>GT-I9100
    Baseband Version >I+9100XXKF3
    Kernael Version> 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKG1-CLlabeltest_I9100XWKG1
    Build Number> GINGERBREAD.XWKG1

This is a stock Optus Rom

When I look through the list I cannot see a XWKG1 file:( or am I blind...

Can somebody point me to the correct one for my phone

Thanks in advance

22. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    They're in the middle of the list on post #4 of the CF-Root thread here. Check your Android version (2.3.3 or 2.3.4) before downloading; as noted there are two different KG1 kernels, so ensure you use the correct one.

Snifferdog likes this.
  23. Snifferdog

Snifferdog Lurker
    None

Aug 26, 2011
    Thanks Slug

I had seen those, but the MOT part of the file was thowing me off I was expecting something closer to the file version I have.