• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help OWA "Access Denied" over 3g, works fine on wifi

djsams

Lurker
Aug 5, 2010
Hello all, I've been lurking around here for quite some time, but this is my first post. I couldn't find anything close to what I'm experiencing with the search function, so I hope someone can help with my issue. I have the Samsung Captivate, and I'm having a bit of an issue with my company's Exchange server. I don't want to sync it with my phone, I prefer to keep my work email separate, but I do occasionally need to use the Outlook Web Access portal on the server. When I'm on any wifi connection, and I browse to my server's OWA, I get the login prompt, and I can successfully log in and do whatever I need to. However, when on 3g, I get simply "Access Denied" without a login prompt at all. I've tried rebooting the phone, killing the browser process, clearing the caches in the browser, etc. None of that works. I administer this server myself, and it works with my wife's iphone just fine, as well as other android phones in the office. If anyone has any idea what's up, I would certainly appreciate the help.

I had the same issue on a htc phone running android. I could not use the browser(default android Web browser), I always got the "access denied" message. Still newsfeeds, gmail and other internet activities outside the browser worked fine.
I fixed it by opening the Mobile data tab under settings-wireless and network. Here i checked settings for roaming, network and APN. It turned out a wrong APN was activated. How THAT happened beats me since I know for sure I did not change it. But once the proper APN was selected the browser allowed pages to load.

Reactions: smzuq
Upvote 0
I had the same issue on a htc phone running android. I could not use the browser(default android Web browser), I always got the "access denied" message. Still newsfeeds, gmail and other internet activities outside the browser worked fine.
I fixed it by opening the Mobile data tab under settings-wireless and network. Here i checked settings for roaming, network and APN. It turned out a wrong APN was activated. How THAT happened beats me since I know for sure I did not change it. But once the proper APN was selected the browser allowed pages to load.
I just purchased a ZTe merit from net10 (Att Avail model) and am having this same exact problem, no OWA over 3G Ok over wi-fi. I am new to smartphones and android . How do I find out if my apn is set incorrectly. I certainly didn't change anything?
Any suggestion are appreciated. Thanks

Upvote 0

This worked for me :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones