1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[Oxygen 2.2.1] A2SD Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zigackly, Sep 9, 2011.

1. zigackly

zigackly Member

Using a SLCD GSM Desire with Oxygen 2.2.1 and a 512mb ext3 partition. My Internal memory is down to 16mb, but my ext3 partition has 300mb+ free.

now while i do understand that app cache is still maintained on the internal memory, should it still fill up so fast as compared to the ext3 partition ? Any way i can check what is filling up the internal memory only ?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. rowlers

rowlers Android Enthusiast

Are you s-off?
    Have you got the oxygen r2 hboot?

have you moved your dalvik?
    xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM-AOSP GRJ22] Oxygen v2.1.6 (Latest gingerbread, clean & simple) (GSM & CDMA)

zigackly likes this.
  3. zigackly

zigackly Member

I do not have S-off

Im using the Hboot mentioned in SUroots guide here , so i dont think theyre oxygen r2 hboot version.

Nope hadnt moved dalvik. Assumed it was auto, thanks for the heads up and the link! will try it once i get home!

4. rowlers

well, you'll be able to free up about 60+ mb by moving dalvik.
    free up even more by S-Off, and flashing Oxygen R2 Hboot.
    BUT READ ALL ABOUT S-OFF AND HBOOTS BEFORE YOU JUMP STRAIGHT IN!!!

Hadron likes this.
  5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

zigackly: the confusing thing about moving dalvik is that different ROMs use different scripts, and they aren't all the same. Some do automatically move dalvik (e.g. the one used by LeeDroid), some don't by default but have it as an option, activated by a terminal command (the DarkTremor script, as used in GingerVillain and Miui), and some just don't (Oxygen, Redux) and need an extra mod to do so (as Rowlers has linked).

But it's generally just something that comes bundled with the ROM and which does its job silently, so it isn't obvious to the user which version they have.

zigackly likes this.
  6. zigackly

zigackly Member

Thanks Hadron and Rowlers. Ran the script and got 100mb free now (may have dumped a few apps in panic before i saw the script posted )

Thanks for clearing things up. Im coming from Leedroid and CM7, so moving dalvik is something new to me. cheers!

7. rowlers

Now you just need to brave it up, and s-off, custom hboot and flash SUroots ROM dGB, its wicked :D:D:D:D.

8. zigackly

zigackly Member

hello again!

so ive noticed my phone crashing quite often since i moved the dalvik. It completely lock up (either screen on or off) and needs a battery pull. Before i moved dalvik it was running without a single issue- I think close to 30 days.

Could the dalvik move be the cause of the crashes ? I am using a class 4 SD ( Lexar i think). Would appreciate any thoughts you guys might have, thanks again!

9. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Extreme Android User

usually dalvic doesnt cause complete lock ups

are you sure you havent done anything else like overclock the cpu?

10. zigackly

zigackly Member

Nope, no overclocking. Not even autokiller installed. Would logcat be able to show what happened before a crash?

11. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Logcat is live. You could check lastkmsg

12. zigackly

zigackly Member

Trying to access the kmsg file with root explorer in the /proc directory, but unable to view it straight off the bat. Can you please point me in the right direction to access the file?

Thanks!

13. cashmere_cat

cashmere_cat Well-Known Member

I

14. zigackly

zigackly Member

Guys I would really appreciate any input on this. Still can't get a hold of the kmsg file. Can someone please point me to a link explaining how to pull it?

EDIT: in my proc folder, there is only a kmsg file, no last_kmsg file.

I experienced similar lockups on leedroid previously. Do you think it might be an issue with the SD card? Considering the lockups started after I shifted the dalvik to SD. Everything was fine in oxygen befoore I shifted it.

15. zigackly

zigackly Member

ok so ive found the last_kmsg file. If i boot after a battery pull, the file is not there, but if i reboot normally after that, it gets generated.

Have experienced crashes in quick succession - boot, crash within a minute, battery pull (repeat 2-3 times). Its very frustrating, hope someone can help out.

Have attached it below. Could really use some help here, thanks again!

link

16. SUroot

Can't see any errors. When did you move dalvik? You know this is from Sunday Sept 11th/

17. zigackly

zigackly Member

I pulled the file on the 4th of October, thought the date referred to something else.

Had flashed the latest Oxygen (2.3) two days before that, and flashed the script to move dalvik immediately after(before reboot).

18. SUroot

last_kmsg ist much use IMHO. When I had kernel crashes and posted it to the dev, we were surprised that the kmsg related to a date before I even had the rom, which was odd. It never changed either. It was always the same kmsg with every crash.

19. zigackly

zigackly Member

what would you suggest i do ?

would changing the ROM solve the issue ?

I was using CM7 before this, but had issues with memory leaks and disappearing popup menus which others have faced too. Unfortunately its never been addressed.

20. SUroot

The only trust worthy way of capturing it is via a logcat, but this relies on the issue occuring when you are connected.

You could try backup via titanium, wipe data, move dalvik and then start to restore.

21. zigackly

zigackly Member

You mean moving dalvik back to internal?

22. SUroot

No, just do a wipe. Not sure what method you move dalvik (Flash ad on? terminal emulator) - essentially I mean make sure dalvik is on sd-ext

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews